Thread: Special Food

Special Food

I talked to vet today and he said I could try to find good quality venison, rabbit, lamb all with rice instead of doing the venison/pea rx diet. We are bascially going for diet that controls food allergy.

I've called PetSmart and all they carry is Natures Recipe rabbit and rice in cans. They make it in kibble for dogs not cats
    I've never feed our kids can food. Not sure they would eat it.

I've searched the net till my eyes are going crossed. Any suggestion sites or stores would be appreciated.

First, try going to your locat Pet Food Store and asking the staff about food specifically tailored for your cat's allergies. They are the one's who know all the brands and could direct you.

I know of many canned foods, but it seems a little difficult to find dry food. Maybe you could get a can of the wet food and try it with your cats, or mix some with their dry food. It couldn't hurt and it will add more moisture to their systems.

I know of three dry Lamb and Rice foods:

1.Wysong - Anergen Cat Food

Wysong is the top premium food for cats with allergies and is higher priced. Here is the link to the store locator: Wysong Store Locator

2. Solid Gold Cat Food (Katz-n-Flocken)

Solid Gold is an excellent food but may be hard to find in your area. Go to the website and use their store indicator to find a store near you.

3. Eukanuba Cat Food

You should be able to find Eukanuba more easily in your area.

Last edited by Russian Blue; 11-10-2003 at 09:39 PM.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Thank you so much for the links.

The Sold Gold Lamb I can get where we do allot of our shopping up in Florence KY. All major stores are up there. This happens to be a speciality shop.

Eukanuba, local vet 1 mile from my house is listed as vendor. Yet again my vet is Eukanuba vender they don't carry it. I know PetSmart carries this line, that's also up in Florence. We will be making a trip up there soon. It's worth 25 mile trip

Glad I could help!

Small bag of Eukanuba purchased today from local pet store here in town. Going up to Pet Smart and get bigger bags but wanted to see if everyone like it first.

Well, Butterscotch and Skinny scrafted it down. I am mixing 1/2 and 1/2 (old and new food). Thumper has yet to ring in her opinion she is sleeping

I found this place foodsite it's in Indiana and there is free shipping. Their prices are very good for their rice and lamb.

Check your Private Messages Craftlady, I sent you one!

Update :)

After speaking with our vet on Friday, we motored up to PetSmart on Saturday. I am now mixing equal parts the Lamb/Rice Euanuba with Nutro Natural Choice, Maintaince (weight control, we need that in our house) which looks like tiny footballs. I started Wednesday with Lamb/Rice and everyones tummys are enjoying. I have noticed with Lamb/Rice combo they weren't starving all the time. Lots more substance than vet rx which was like eating air to them.

I narrowed it down to two brands, Nutro and Natures Recipe after extensive reading of labels the two were pretty close in ingrediant contents. After speaking with vet staff at PetSmart (just to double check myself), Nutro won out only because it comes in 23 lbs bags. I also got a couple cans of Natures Recipe Rabbet & Rice which I will give Skinny as a "treat" mixed with little dry food here in week or so after they have been on Nutro for little bit.

Once a day in evening, Skinny now gets what I call "pumpkin pie/with dash of yogart" I give him 1 tsp of 100% Libby's pumpkin pie filling and dash of low fat yogart. Just to make sure he liked it He scarfs it down. He still gets his 2x a day yogart only treat.

I will say that since they started eating the Lamb/Rice mix his potty was noticeably improving to the good Although the Nutro is not a Lamb/Rice (they have it for dogs, not cats) the ingrediants are very good. The potty hasn't gone in the negative direction.

Russian Blue, thanks for tip on pumpkin

I'm very upbeat this is going to work