Thread: Testing out the new camera (pics)

Testing out the new camera (pics)

I'm having a lot of fun with my new camera! I've barely touched the surface of what this camera can do so I'm a little disappointed with how mediocre my initial pictures are, but, eh, what do you expect after only two days?

For some reason, I can never get the lighting quite right when shooting Lucky, but I'm trying:

Giselle:

None of Ivy. Lighting was bad and I didn't want to use flash and that boogerhead wouldn't calm down

Aww Lucky is so darn cute! You must bring him with you next time we meet, please.
    And of course, the beautiful Giselle.
    Oh yeah, good pictures too. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee
    Aww Lucky is so darn cute! You must bring him with you next time we meet, please.
    Oooh, I would be soo jealous. I just love that smushy little face, he is too cute. I do think your new camera shows off that precious face much better. Nice job. And, of course, Giselle looks beautiful. But she always looks beautiful.

Great photos!! I think they both look beautiful!! I hope we get to see more soon! Thanks for sharing!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

I can't see much of a lighting issue on the Lucky shots but with his face being the flat type, be careful not to meter off his nose area when focusing which is very dark otherwise the rest of him will be blown out. Meter off a mid tone on his face and you can lift the shadows in photoshop if needed.

The only other things are to avoid wide angle at all costs. It distorts and looks horrid unless you are using it specifically to get an artistic type of distortion. It's always better to get a bit further away from the dog and then zoom in than being too close and having to zoom out. The second one of Giselle demostrates this distortion quite a lot. Look at how tiny her body is compared to the over-sized head in it. The first one of her is much better but try and be more observant as to backgrounds so that you don't have destracting objects like the fence sticking out from behind her etc... Also, be careful of overly bright skies behind dark ears...as you can notice with her ear that sticks up being bled into by the brightness.
    Secondly, never take photos looking down at them. Easier said than done with small dogs but photos where you are looking down at them are unflattering for the dog to say the least and will never be anything other than snapshot quality. If you need to buy waterproofs to lay on the ground, so be it and get laying on the ground...

I know, lots of criticisms but I get the impression you wanted to get better photos so these are just helpful suggestions. Happy snapping.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

What are you talking about? Those are GREAT for first shots! Can't wait to see what you can do with it eventually if you think THAT is bad.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Oh, I just wanted to lean forward and kiss that little nosie of Lucky's! Too cute! Giselle is gorgeous as well.

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

gosh I can almost feel Lucky's softness!!!
    And Giselle's sleekness!!!
    great pics!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Those look great Sophie! 'Grats on the new camera!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Those are really great pictures of lucky and miss giselle is looking elegant as usual.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I think the pictures are really, really good. Lucky is so adorable. Giselle is such a beauty. There are some people here that take their greyhound to the ball field on the weekends. I love to watch her run, its a beautiful thing!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

GREAT pictures!
    Can't wait to see more!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome