Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Schroeder...is up for adoption again #112

I agree with all the previous posts. Time. It will take time. Paizly took a couple days to even come up to us and let us really pet her. Even now she is very picky about when she receives petting. She is a lovebug in the morning, but try to pet her throughout the day and she'll slink off and not let you touch her.

Please don't feel bad that he is not all over you. He will be with time, I'm sure.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Don't want to sound like a "me, too" person but I do concur w/the others; it's going to take time. As long as you have the patience, I'm sure he'll come around. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I always found that cutting a piece of meat off my plate workes wonders!!
    And Thanks to eals on Wheels I can offer them something good every night.
    I felt that way many times when a New Cat would race like the wind in terror at my approach, but time , love and TLC will win Schroeder over, and that will make you so happy!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm going to be a copy cat, too. Time. As far as the biting; Pinot took some time with that one as well. She still, to this day, puts her mouth down hard on my skin, but every time I look at her (and don't move my hand) and say GENTLE, GENTLE, firmly and she seems to respond better each time. If you move quickly they'll grab harder. You'll get there.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Since he spent some time in what he thought was his furever home then found himself back at the shelter, poor Schroeder might feel unsure of his new situation and afraid he might be sent back to the shelter again. It will take some love, patience, and time to reassure him that he's with you to stay. Like all kitties, Schroeder just wants to be loved and cared for but his recent experiences make him uncertain. Give him lots of attention, tell him how wonderful he is, and give him lovies on his terms for now. Follow Schroeder's pace and reassure him. This will work out.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

A small success...

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a little fishing pole with a fish and a couple of ribbon type things on it. Schroeder has played a little with it! Finally something that he likes. AND...I bought a carpet thingie to hang on the door knob for him to use a scratching pad. It has little feathers at the top that he can play with. And I think they are used to encourage him to stretch up and then get the idea of scratching. It isn't exactly carpet, but it isn't the cardboard either. I know that carpet scratchers can confuse them, but I noticed that he liked a little cell phone holder that was hanging from the door. This was the only thing that was at WalMart that would hang from the door. So far he hasn't shown interest in scratching on any of the regular scratching areas. I have seen him try to scratch on the couch a time or two. Maybe this will help that also.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Moe,
    something to help attract him to the hanging scratch thingy might be the catnip spray. Here in Richmond I can get it from Petsmart. I spray different cat things with it and they are all over whatever I just sprayed. That might spark his interest, too. Just a thought. Good luck to you both

Amy

Thanks for that idea. I meant to rub it with some dried catnip. I don't have any spray, but I think I do have some dried in a bag. I offered him a puff ball with catnip and he showed no interest, but maybe it will help with the hangie thingie.

Have you tried just walking around with a long string after you? I have one with a mouse attached to it, but Fister is not interested in that, he wants the other end. Or he might think a laser pointer is fun. Careful not to point on his eyes, though.

Perhaps Schroeder just needs some time to get familiar with his new home.

Kisses and purrs from us.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Don't loose faith I resently adopted a little snowshoe girl named Nikki and she is very fearful of me and my husband she has been with us now for 3 or 4 weeks and she still won't come to us. I think she wants to but she is really scared.

My experience with orange boys is great they really are the best lovers.He will come around. Being his backround is pretty tramatic he might need a few weeks to realize he isn't going anywhere. Congrats and I promise you will have a great kitty on your hands. Its really hard to lose a really good friend...And get a non-lover...I too know what you are feeling. But I since Nikki is just a little bit skiddish I can't wait till she wants to come to us.. Its so hard to wait. But well worth the time needed. Best of luck he is wonderful!

*I've been Boo'd*

A prayer and a candle for Schroeder.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9436141
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks for the candle.

We had some progress today. Schroeder came over when I woke up this morning and walked on me, ending by standing on my chest. He was purring and even sat down briefly once. I kept waiting for him to turn around and bite my face, but he didn't.

He's let me carry him across the length of the house also.

BUT...he saw Aroara today and that did not go well at all. I had her in the bathroom. I took her out and was holding her. She was hissing at him, but he was ignoring her mostly. I put Aroara down, and she walked away from him. My sister was over visiting and was inside while I stepped outside for just 30 seconds. Aroara came over to the door. Schroeder came sneaking up behind her. When I came in, Schroeder went after Aroara. There was hissing and screeching and running. My sister and I broke them up. I thought Schroeder had run back into his room. I went in there to find him and then my sister said he was in the living room. He went after Aroara again this time behind the couch. I finally got him to go into his room. By then Aroara was so mad she demanded to go outside. I wasn't sure she would come back in tonight. But I just got her back inside. I just don't know if this is going to work out. It kills me to think of him going back and having to live in the cage at PetSmart. He hates that, and he is just getting used to living here.

I also bought him a fishing pole toy that he does enjoy. But he gets worked up playing with that and then he gets worked up when dealing with people. He tries to bite and attack with his claws. He plays rough.

I have read things, but maybe not as clearly as I could. I just want to echo again what others have said, but, maybe more strongly. Please be patient with the introductions of two adult cats. The longer the time you can acclimate them to the house- separately, the better off the chances of a smooth transition. Cats are funny. I could not imagine introducing two adult cats to one another in less than a month. Bad first impressions can be lasting impressions. Don't rush it. Kittens- easy peasy. Cats- not so much.

I would get some phernome (sic) plug ins and put them in each room the cats are confined to. I swear by this stuff.

And, lots of extra loves to Aurora, so that she knows she is not being displaced.

Good luck, orangies are so special.

I found treats that he likes! I bought soft Whisker Lickin's. The only flavor they had was chicken and cheese. I opened them, and he came running as usual. Except this time instead of just looking at it and walking away, he ate them! Now I have two things to use to entertain him, the fishing pole and the treats.

15. Do you know my Edwina and Eddie?

Edwina came to live with us from a shelter. We adored her, pampered her. She was (and still is!) very, very spoiled. And an only cat for a few years.

And then one day a PetTalker asked if we could take in Eddie for a weekend. Oh how we worried! But we took him in. He lived in the basement. He would not come out for ...gosh weeks I think? We would go to the basement and read the paper or just talk. And we would talk to him, even if we could not see him. (Of course...that has been a very long weekend....)

My niece was also living in the basement while attending college. Eddie started to come out and be with her.

Meanwhile, Edwina -- at the top of the stairs - "what is that noise? There cannot possibly be another cat in my house!"

Until one day Eddie ventured upstairs. He never really went back down to live.

Edwina keeps him in line. She never lets him forget who is the boss.

They moved across the country together in the back of the car.

I don't think they will ever cuddle. But I just went upstairs and they are both on the bed.

They are usually in - at least - the same room. She bites his butt, she slaps his face, she chases him. Sometimes he chases her.

She is a lap cat. He wants to but just can't (because she wouldn't approve? I am not sure.) But today, a guy was here installing my new computer and it was Eddie who insisted on meeting him.

Here is Eddie's first diary diary of Eduardo and his second second diary and it went on.

It takes time but it was oh so worth it.

And I think both Edwina and Eddie would agree!