Thread: Bizarre Pet Cloning!

Bizarre Pet Cloning!

Clone your cat for $68,000
    March 29, 2004

US pet owners are being offered a second lease on life for their dying cats by a firm that is offering to clone the animals for about $US50,000 ($67,824) per "copy cat".

Genetic Savings and Clone, based near San Francisco, claims to be the leading US pet cloner and has launched a commercial, albeit expensive, cloning operation.

This year, the California company that announced the world's first cat clone in February 2002, plans to clone nine felines, six of which will be sold to the public, with three to be kept to show off at cat shows.

The firm has already received four firm orders for the copy cats and is also working hard to duplicate the genetic make-up of dogs.

It says it has received massive public interest about its unusual service, with some of the requests proving touching and others a little bizarre.

"We've had people say they have a ball that their dog used to play with and it's covered with saliva and can we clone from that," said Ben Carlson, the company's vice president of communications.

"We get a lot of poignant requests like that. Or they have a bit of fur or maybe a tooth or they buried their pet a couple of months ago and just heard about us. But we have to tell them unfortunately, it's too late."

To create a clone, the company takes a swab sample the size of a small coin from the mouth and from the stomach of the pet.

Dead animals can be cloned, but only during a short time after death.

The company was formed in 2000 when founder John Sperling, inspired by the successful 1996 birth of Dolly - the British sheep who became the first cloned animal - began trying to clone his beloved dog, Missy.

After eventually settling on the simpler area of feline cloning, CC - short for copy cat - was born at Texas A and M university.

When pet owners heard of the success, they began calling him asking if they could have their dogs and cats cloned as well. Genetic Savings and Clone was born.

The company now boasts a few hundred clients who are banking their pets' genes in the hope of reviving their beloved furry companions' genes at a later date.

The Courier-Mail

SEE ARTICLE HERE

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

That is just so odd. Why would someone want to clone their dead pet? I don't get it...aren't there enough animals in the world to choose from?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

It's not as though they're going to get their pet back anyways...just an animal that LOOKS like their pet and has all sorts of interesting health problems.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

What I hear about cloning, you go through a lot of "bad" fetuses (is that the plural?) before you finally get one that is actually healthy and complete. They just toss out the "mistakes" and start over again. Then the clone itself once it does form properly, has a very very short life expectancy.

Why on Earth would anybody do that? I love my cats, and would mourn them when gone, but remake them? NEVER!

Thats just plain weird

I 'clone' my cat by asking for Double Prints when I turn my film in.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

The pet wouldn't even be exactly the same anyways- it could even be a different color, and it won't act the same because the clone didn't go through the experiences that shaped the orginal pet.

Waste of money!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by RICHARD
    I 'clone' my cat by asking for Double Prints when I turn my film in.
    That's about the extent of my cloning too, Richard!!!

That's so pointless

Pointless and terribly sad, considering how many millions of cats die every year due to lack of homes.

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien