Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Willy ~ Renal failure

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I stopped by the vet this morning to pick up more k/d food. Dr. Townsend gave me a few minutes to ask some questions.

1. Willy does not have Chronic Renal Failure. He has Acute Renal Failure. I asked him what the difference was and he said that chronic comes on slowly over time. Acute can be the result of a kitty being blocked where the kidney's got damaged. (Willy has never been blocked). Or it could be that he was born with one or both kidney's damaged. That's what he suspects at this point.

2. It is okay for all our cats to eat the k/d food. He said that if we had cats 3-years old or younger, he would not recommend it but since all of ours are older, it's okay -- expensive -- but okay.

3. All kitties are liking the k/d. They don't LOVE it, but they like it. After Willy sacks out at night, I gave Willow (she's a night owl) some regular food.

4. We take Willy back to the vet for more urine and blood tests mid-April.

5. Results of Willy's tests:
    BUN (normal 14-36 mg/dL).................Willy is 99 - high
    Creatinine (normal 0.6-2.4 mg/dL).......Willy is 8.0 - high
    Phosphorus (normal 2.4-8.2 mg/dL).....Willy is 10.0 - high
    Potassium (normal 3.4-5.6 mEq/L).......Willy is 3.3 - low
    Na/K Ratio (normal 32-41).................Willy is 45 - high
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I'm glad you got back to us, Lisa; I've been checking the thread every few hours. I'm sorry it's a more serious kind of renal failure and hope you can give Willy plenty more quality time.

Your vet still isn't promoting sub-q fluids? Whenever Sam's counts went high (BUN and Creatinine), and other that of other cats, I always boosted the amount of fluids and found the counts lowering. Fluids will make him feel good too and could increase his appetite. You can use phosphorous binders to lower the phosphorous count, although Willy won't thank you for giving him Maalox. My vet told me that cats become nauseated and feel generally awful when their phosphorous count is high. And, your vet could give you potassium supplements for Willy since that is low.

Are you thinking of a kidney transplant for Willy?

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry that I neglected to mention in my original post that the diagnosis was made from the blood test. I didn't have the results with me at the time, but now I do and posted his #'s earlier.

We're thrilled that Willy likes the k/d food. I need to get a movie of it because I hear it's pretty unusual for cats to like it. But you know cats. Right now he likes it -- tomorrow, who knows?

Vet still doesn't think sub-q fluids are necessary right now -- he mentioned that it might be necessary "down the line". Whether that's because he isn't too bad right now or ??? I don't know. Sorry, I need to ask him more questions.

Nope, we're not even thinking kidney transplant at this point. I mentioned it to our vet and he didn't think it was worth discussing yet. He did say that they had discussed offering this procedure in Alaska at one point, but as far as he knew, no one performs it up here. But, we will explore that option soon. Working on getting a second opinion. We got back for more blood/urine tests in April. We'll see how the numbers look then.

I may not be around for a while. My step-daughter (the one whose husband just passed away) arrives tonight from Hawaii. We'll be busy with whatever support she needs. And, I've been called (Oh Joy) for jury duty. But, I will be checking in. Please keep those ideas, questions and suggestions coming. I'm making a list of them to ask the vet -- and the 2nd opinion vet. I'm thinking of Dr. Priddy. We took Halo to him when she had the tumor on her liver and he helped Glacier's Heyoka a while back.

Thanks everyone. I really, really, really appreciate it and so does Bobcat. He doesn't "do" computers, so I print everything for him to read.

I have no suggestions, but I can give you positive thoughts and prayers. Willie, make it through this.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about Willy. So far I haven't had any cats with kidney problems only urinary tract problems. I sure hope that Willy will continue to like his new food and will be around for many more years to come. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

It's going to be interesting, seeing Willy's blood test results in April after only a diet change. I've never been able to go that route because either the cat hates the food to the point of not eating at all or I have younger special needs fosters who have to have the usual cat foods. My vets have always suggested a special diet but all six vets I've worked with on CRF cats over the years have prescribed fluids also. With values as high as Willy's, we've started off with large amounts daily, tested the blood 4-6 weeks later, and then been able to cut back. However, if Willy is eating that well those toxins are not making him feel nauseated and that's great.

Continued prayers from RI for Willy.

Since you are talking about a second opinion, would you consider a practitioner of TCM - Traditional Chinese Medicine? - a TCMVet? This person is a qualified vet who also uses herbs in the treatment - not in place of, but in addition to. I recently became involved with this when my dog, Sugar, had blood work which showed elevated liver enzymes. After the fact, we figured out the toxin was from chicken jerky from China. In cases where dogs are treated only with the pharmaceutical medicines, it takes several months to clear the liver of toxins which have built up and sometimes other issues developed as a result. WITH the herbs, we got everything under control in 2 weeks. I was sort of thrown into it all, due to the crisis with Sugar, but did lots of online research, talked online with tons of folks and was comfortable with following the TCM vet's guidance.

Just a thought.

Willy's appetite is okay -- not great, but okay. If I warm the food in the microwave a little, he's more interested. But, he is cooperating with the Tripsy twice a day. It has improved his appetite and he hasn't lost any more weight.

He seems to be feeling better. No longer isolating himself and he's a real snuggle bunny. But, he's not playing with his favorite toys or cat nip.

Walter (kidney transplant kitty on IMOM, is rejecting his kidney. It has already been damaged. The anti-rejection medicine that he will need to take for the rest of his life, does not seem to be working right now but there is still hope he will approve.

Took Willy to the vet today. He has lost another 2 pounds The vet showed Bobcat and I how to give him sub-q fluids. We will do that every other day. I asked the vet how much time Willy has and he said a month or 2. We're still praying for a miracle.

For those of you who may not have heard, the kitty on IMOM that received the kidney transplant, did not make it.

Oh no...poor you and poor Willy! He is just too young for this to happen!

I guess there is no such thing as kitty dialysis? Or does the sob-q substitute for that?

Is the Tripsy helping at all?

Prayers for a miracle!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Kuhio,
    For what it is worth, only words, I am so very sorry. Please give Willy a kiss on the head from me.

hugs,
    Johanna

Tripsy is not helping.
    The vet just called with his blood results. Some of the numbers are off the charts now. Too high for the machines to record. The vet believes Willy may just have a week or so now.

Unlike people, cats can only go on dialysis temporarily. It's used when kidney transplant is being considered. Which we are not considering. Dialysis would buy him some time but not improve his quality of life.

Willy doesn't feel well. But, he remains a sweet boy. He just brought me a present -- a plastic bag of screws he got out of a box.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I am at a loss for words, other than to say "I'm so sorry".

{{{Hugs}}}
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Awww, I am so very sorry to hear this. Enjoy your limited time with your sweet boy.
    It did bring a smile to my face to read about the gift he brought to you.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am sorry to hear this. You and Willy are in my thoughts.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)