Thread: What do you do with old litterboxes???

What do you do with old litterboxes???

Just wondering...I got my cats a hooded one, and the other one is in good condition except for stains.

I would even grow radishes in it if I thought it was ok. Or, recycle it if there was something that would take the stains right out (or fade them a bunch).

Any ideas???

Thanks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I have always just thrown mine away but why not use them for flower containers? I like that idea!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I scrub them clean and donate them to shelters.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, WHAT do you scrub them with? I have Vim and even Clorox powder with bleach.

Elbow grease is plentiful...just need ingredients!

Thanks.

I scrub them with Chlorox Green. If I don't have that, I'll use distilled white vinegar, or Nature's Miracle. I let them air dry.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

That's great Donna! I just sold one at a yard sale for $1.00
    Then, I spent the dollar on 2 stuffed animals for Sunny to destroy

I usually freecycle mine but I'm keeping the next one to plant and herb garden. Are the stains inside or out? I would assume in...if it's covered in dirt anyway..problem solved!

We have 11 litterboxes, and this is one question that I have never considered!!! However, I would definitely clean them with bleach and rinse well, then off to the shelter!!!

Well, I poured in enough straight vinegar (not distilled) to cover the stains.

Later I added baking soda....it fizzed like mad!

Then I took it to the bathtub - sprayed Fantastik on it and left it for a while. Then I got the Comet with bleach, a plastic scrubbie...then switched to an SOS pad, and it's WHITE again!

USE RUBBER GLOVES!

Thanks, everyone!

I soak them with bleach and hot water , let them soak for a few days , put an old towel in and presto , I have a bed for a Porch Cat , inside a cardboard box in the Winter.
    A simple way for the Porchies to have a place thats soft and warm!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

We clean them out and my husband uses them for soil when he's working on the deck planters. He mixes the blend of soils and fertilizers he needs and carries it up to the deck with a small shovel. We haven't had as many as some of you, though!

Never gave this much thought! I know they go out to hubby in the garage and at least one of them is used for oil changes There is also one with assorted screws and tools, pencils, junk, etc. In this house, they are garage accessories.

I agree a good cleaning with bleach, then vinegar. We then let them set on the deck for a week or so, to sun bleach. They can be used for almost any thing, planters, or donate to a shelter.
    GILL & Crew;

We clean ours out good and usually toss them. Using them for something else has never occurred to me although I think it could work for some things.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

I've done various things with my old boxes. Some I cleaned up best I could and sold at garage sales. One I use to empty my firepit ashes into for transport, and one I use to hold water for scrubbing the deck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022