Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Question. Please read. (update: Doesn't seem good...)

Question. Please read. (update: Doesn't seem good...)

I was cleaning out the litter box tonight, and right after I was done, Butter came along to do his business. I figured I'd wait, and clean it up too. I bet he sat there for over 5 minutes. I was thinking wow, he must have really had to go! Then after he got up, I went to clean it but nothing was there.

Earlier he was sitting oddly on the kitchen floor, which his tail up like he was going to pee. I found a drop on the floor. Then after I saw him in the box, I found him in the dogs toy box. I found a few drops there too.

What's going on? Every now and then one of the cats pee on my clothes or bed...could it have to do with what Butter is doing now? Should I wait and see if he keeps doing it before taking him to the vet? I really can't have him dripping pee everywhere...

(update at the bottom of the page 4)
    Last edited by slleipnir; 11-10-2006 at 10:48 AM.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I have no experience with this but from what I have read on here it sounds like it could be a urinary tract infection.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Does sound like URI. Call your vet, explain to the vet tech and see what s/he says. Don't be surprised if they some in; straining is not fun!

My oldest cat, Augustus, is prone to crystals and he has done the same thing a couple of times. He will leave little droplets of urine on the floor and strain in the litterbox for quite a while. He also walks around and squats like he is going to urinate - but only a drop comes out. It could be a blockage from crystals, I would take him to the vet ASAP. I adopted Auggy from a local vet - he was surrendered because of his crystals. He was almost dead when he came in because his previous owners ingnored the fact that he had been sleeping in his litterbox for a few days. He had a blockage and luckily the vet saved his life.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

Those are the classic indications of a BLOCKED Urinary Tract!

Butter is starining to urinate - but nothing (or very little) is relieved ...
    he's possibly suffering from a painful Urinary Tract Infection; or
    the more serious condition of Blockage by a stone or crystals.

A BLOCKAGE won't wait - the build-up of urine can cause serious damage
    and/or death!
    If he hasn't successfully *pee'd* in the next couple of hours ...
    He needs to be seen by a Vet or trained technician tonight.

I speak from experience - Boots da Kat "plugged up" three times before we
    surgically "fixed" the problem.

*WATCH* him like a hawk for a couple hours - if "no pee" - then find a Vet!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I called the vet, but they're closed....I'm not sure what to do! I don't know how long he's been like this, but he's not himself. He almost seems to walk funny, but that's probably my imagenation. It's already 7:30pm. I was going to make an appointment at the vet tomorrow for him.

I strongly suggest you find an emergency vet and get him there asap! This is life threantening and in the morning could be to late. I lost one to this and he didn't make it till the next morning.

(Your vet don't have someone on call to answer the emergency calls?)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I got a hold of the vet.

He said it doesn't sound really serious, but he can't really tell over the phone. He said if he was blocked up, he would be in a lot of pain (like if I touched his belly) and I would be able to feel something fairly big in that area too. (which I couldn't) He said it sounds like it's irratated or something, but he should be fine for tonight. He said it would cost $90 if I took him in now. I told him I would leave it, and if he gets worse I'll call again. He laughed and said I guess I didn't explain it right, if it's in the middle of the night it iwll cost more. I felt like saying I really don't care how much it costs if it saves his life.

Anyway, I'll call around 8 tomorrow morning and see if I can leave him with them for the day (I have to work) and hopefully they can check him out sometime in the day. I'll keep an eye out if he gets worse.

OK... I will send a prayer on his behalf that he not be to miserable tonight and it is nothing serious..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

He is not himself...I hope I'm making the right choice in waiting till morning.

If you start to feel something hard in his abdomen TAKE HIM IN. If he does have a urinary blockage it needs IMMEDIATE attention, as the bladder will burst if it is left alone.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I would take him to the Emergency vet tonight! Think how painful urinary infections are for us! The misery of feeling like you have to go, but can't!!!

That sadly doe sond pretty serious.
    We are praying for Our Pal Butter that its nothing that the White Coats cannot take care of.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well the vet told me it doesn't sound that serious....I'm going by what he said. I'll take himin first thing in the morning

What will they do to him? If I take himnow, will they just give him sometime that will work over a while? I don't know what to do. He won't eat and he meows if I pick him up. I'm afraid the vet will be angry if I call again...He seemed annoyed that I said I would call later if it got serious