Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I fear hot brass down my shirt.
    Stay to my left then.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Cars get safer...guns get....

Gun Deaths vs. Car Deaths
    A new Violence Policy Center (VPC) state-by-state analysis of government data comparing firearm deaths and motor vehicle deaths shows that gun deaths outpaced motor vehicle deaths in 10 states in 2009, the most recent year for which state level data is available. Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths
    Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths
    Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths
    Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths
    Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths
    Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths
    Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths
    Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths
    Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths
    Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths

The Study

Now...watch the red herrings that will be tossed into the discussion! Always good for a laugh...albeit a sad laugh...

How many of those where suicides?

ETA: Funny how IL and DC arent on that list.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Gun Deaths vs. Car Deaths
    A new Violence Policy Center (VPC) state-by-state analysis of government data comparing firearm deaths and motor vehicle deaths shows that gun deaths outpaced motor vehicle deaths in 10 states in 2009, the most recent year for which state level data is available. Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths
    Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths
    Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths
    Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths
    Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths
    Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths
    Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths
    Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths
    Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths
    Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths

The Study

Now...watch the red herrings that will be tossed into the discussion! Always good for a laugh...albeit a sad laugh...
    With no explanation of the methodology and cherry picked statistics, it's meaningless. All it is is a 4 page position paper.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

But it does mean that in 40 states, car deaths outpaced gun deaths.
    I've Been Frosted

For some reason the states with the highest gun control laws were left out of that study.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    True. However, it also shows bad methodology, as most statistical studies discard the anomalies, rather than using them as political fodder.

In addition, until you look at precisely what statistics they looked at (which isn't precisely referenced in the footnotes) the stats are relatively meaningless.

The Postal Service used intentionally misleading statistics to show that closing certain processing plants saved them money. Pay a good statistician enough and they'll prove whatever you want them to.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    So, if someone yells "Shot Gun" before a car trip, I need to panic?

Interesting article.

Todd Hartley

Columnist, screenwriter, playwright, lyricist, novelist, blogger and stand-up comedian

I'm With Stupid: The Longer the Weapon, the Shorter the Tool

Posted: 01/04/2013 4:10 pm

Australia , Congress , Gun Control , Gun Rights , Assault Weapons , Australia Gun Laws , Firearms , Gun Control Debate , Gun Control Laws , Gun Laws , Gun Lobby , Comedy News

Now that we've finally decided we can actually have a conversation about gun control in this country, I think those of us who are in favor of tougher measures have to face one unavoidable truth: Trying to control guns now is a case of shutting the barn doors after the horse gets out.

Gun-rights advocates are quick to point out, correctly, that as of 2009 there were more than 310 million nonmilitary firearms in the United States. That works out to a rate of about one gun for every U.S. citizen. No other country comes close to such a high rate of ownership. Even if all gun sales were to stop tomorrow, there would still be 310 million guns out there.

One option that has been floated is to enact a program modeled on the one Australia passed following a mass shooting in 1996. A mere two weeks after 35 people were killed in Tasmania, the Australian government approved new gun-control laws and began a buyback program that resulted in 650,000 automatic and semi-automatic weapons being turned in and destroyed. There hasn't been a mass shooting in Australia since.

Of course, this being America, the home of the Second Amendment, I harbor no illusions that such a program will ever become reality here. The gun lobby in this country would never allow something so sensible, and our elected officials, worthless as they are, clearly don't have the guts to make it happen anyway. Thus, I think we need to look at other ways to curb gun violence.

In the absence of a plan to reduce the number of firearms out there, I think the only feasible option is to try to change people's attitudes toward guns. Right now, for whatever reason, gun owners think of themselves as rugged sportsmen and bold, brave defenders of family, liberty and personal property. Whether that self-image is the least bit true is subject to debate, but I think we can change that view with a little effort.

Do you remember a few years ago when people were buying millions of Hummers? To me, those Hummer owners were a lot like gun owners. They had an inflated sense of their own self-importance, and they thought owning a massive tank-like vehicle made them somehow more virile and masculine. Then the rest of us pointed out that owning a Hummer was an obvious sign of a person making up for a physical shortcoming, and Hummer went out of business virtually overnight.

So, since I'm not particularly concerned about the National Rifle Association ruining my political career, I'll be the one to say it: If you own multiple guns or feel the need to possess a military-style assault weapon, it's because you have a small penis.

Let me clarify that statement a little, if I may. Owning a handgun to protect your home and your family is fine. Owning a rifle or shotgun for hunting or target shooting is also fine. But owning lots of guns or pseudo-machine guns means you have a tiny wiener and you're incredibly self-conscious about it. That's the plain and simple truth, even if it's not true.

Now, I know a lot of you are probably saying to yourselves, "But Todd, plenty of women also own guns. What about them? Do they have small penises, too?"

My answer to that question would be: Yes. Yes they do. Women who own assault weapons have tiny penises, just like their male counterparts. That would explain why they're angry enough to buy a weapon whose sole purpose is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

To those of you out there who, like me, have had enough of all the shooting and killing in this country, I encourage you to spread the rumor that when gun owners talk about their 9 mms, they're actually referring to their genitalia and not the caliber of their weapons. With any luck, we can stigmatize gun ownership and encourage people to give up their firearms willingly.

And to those of you out there who own assault weapons or numerous pistols, I encourage you to seek less violent ways to make up for your shortcomings. There are thousands of "natural male enhancement" products out there, and if Austin Powers is to be believed, Swedish-made penis-enlargement pumps might actually work. Give those a try. Surely there's some product out there that can make up for your puny wiener more effectively than arming yourself to the teeth.

Todd Hartley hopes the NRA doesn't sabotage his bid to join the local PTA. To read more or leave a comment, please visit zerobudget.net.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Interesting article.
    Not!

This strikes me as being just as blatant an attempt to generate response from outraged people as any 11-year-old's troll attempts on online forums. Will not even dignify it with a comment on it.
    I've Been Frosted

My opinion on guns-its not the guns that kill people, its the people behind the gun that kills people. Sure ban the automatics and AK 47's and the other military weapons and keep normal pistols (shotguns for hunters) alone. One why punish the ones who uses the guns right for the idiots who don't and the bad guys will go to the black market and still have guns.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Stay to my left then.
    No thanks, I'll stay on the RIGHT side. The 'left' is way too safe for me?

--------------------------

Let's talk about Eric Holder and 'fast and furious', then Rahm Emanuel and the "Chi-Town 500"

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...go-gun-ban.htm