Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've desided to get a ferret :)

I've desided to get a ferret :)

So when my peycheck has clear i'm off for the day to find one from a SHELTER, then to buy a cage and goodies.
    I cant wait, ive always wanted a feret since i looked after a friends 4 ferrets.
    So any ferret owners, info is wanted on like food treats etc
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

they like poopin in corners, and they love cat foos, although it isnt very good to eat just cat food all the time IMHO.
    I have a friend that has a house ferret and it poops everywhere. Ferrets are wild animals, IMO, and they can be unpredictable.
    They love playing under covers and with fake mice .
    They are very cute to, BUT they smell, I find they sstink, they are related tot he skunk and they have a sent gland that both males and females have to attract a mate. It can be removed, but it is pricey.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    they like poopin in corners, and they love cat foos, although it isnt very good to eat just cat food all the time IMHO.
    I have a friend that has a house ferret and it poops everywhere. Ferrets are wild animals, IMO, and they can be unpredictable.
    They love playing under covers and with fake mice .
    They are very cute to, BUT they smell, I find they sstink, they are related tot he skunk and they have a sent gland that both males and females have to attract a mate. It can be removed, but it is pricey.
    cat food is bad for them,

they are NOT & NEVER have been WILD!!!! ferrets have always been a domestcated animal, they are related to wild ferrets (black foot ferrets & pole cats).

They can have a slight odor to them but most from pet stores are already descented. also the more you bathe them the worse it smells, you are stripping the oils from their coat & they have to produce more. Most people think it would be the oposite thats why they stink. But as long as you wash their bedding & clean their litter boxes you should barely notice any odor.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

If you're gonna get a fert, you should buy "Ferrets for Dummies." Its a super informative book on everything relating to ferrets! I think you can get it at pretty much any book store.

I heard that ferrets are really hyper because my brother's friend has one..They seem like really fun pets though.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

You may only be one person in the world, but to one person, you may be the world
    I would suggest doing a TON of research before you get a ferret. It really sounds to me like you haven't done much at all. A ferret requires a lot of attention and money. Make sure you know everything before you get one. You can email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
    ~*~The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us~*~

RIP Lacey and Booger

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ]

Well thanks for your email addy, and concern for my ferret to be but I know enough to care for the ferret well, my friend is very experianced and will put me right on anything i do wrong.
    I've planed the cage and everything (not got it yet but know what i'm getting).
    It's things like meat treats and how often i dont know, and if they like a small piece of bone to chew and what kind etc, he/she will be on highly recomened top quailty manufacted biscuit.
    when ive got one, (very hard to find one round here ) i will post pics of cage etc.
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

You may only be one person in the world, but to one person, you may be the world
    Sometimes top quality food is really top quality junk, I'm sure there's someone on here that can post a food comparison chart so you can see just what foods are good. I wouldn't let a ferret chew on a bone, they could choke or get too big of a piece and get a blockage. They have lots of special treats for ferrets, giving one daily is probably good. Make sure you give lax daily and probably ferretone for vitamins. You can also feed a straight meat diet, making up your own food. Also, you can try duck soup, most ferrets, but mine, seem to like it.

RIP Lacey and Booger

]

Finding anything for a ferret like food, toys, treats and eccesories are very hard to find, the brand of food that i will be getting (the only brand ive ever seen) is James wellbeloved ferret complete.
    My local petshop sells only this, a couple of harness etc the bare minnimum.
    I will have to ask my friend where she getts her ferritone.
    ok so bones are out of the question.
    my friend feeds boiled chicken, boiled fish and beef, a couple of times aweek (she allso feeds James wellbeloved).
    What is Lax?
    and we dont get duck soup or anything like that here.
    Thanks
    Ky and Rio

Duck soup isn't something you get, it's something you make. http://www.wuzzles.com/ferrets/docum...isducksoup.htm
    That's all i could find on it right now, I'm in a hurry but just maybe search this forum and you might find some recipes. Lax is a laxative that ferrets should have weekly so they don't get hairballs or blockages because surgery for blockages is very expensive.

RIP Lacey and Booger

]

opps sorry for my ignorance,lol
    Do you get Lax from a vetrenarian? that duck soup looks worth a shot, when i eventually get one.Ky and Rio

Originally posted by Rio and Me
    opps sorry for my ignorance,lol
    Do you get Lax from a vetrenarian? that duck soup looks worth a shot, when i eventually get one.Ky and Rio
    No no no, you're not ignorant, don't say that. A lot of ppl aren't sure what it is. You can get lax from a pet store or online. The one site I know for sure has it is www.theferretstore.com

RIP Lacey and Booger

]

Thanks i'll look for a UK site to buy it as petshop are highly unlikly to have it on sale. Thanks Ky and Rio

You can order it right off the site I gave you, shipping is quite cheap for overseas according to a friend that ordered.

RIP Lacey and Booger

]

Ok thanks ill have a brouse, you wouldnt imagian how impossible it is to find hammocks and assories in any petshops round here,lol Ky and Rio