Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted on Cat Litters

Opinions Wanted on Cat Litters

Hi,
    I am thinking on switching to a clumping litter after getting fed up with the smell and constant dampness of my litter boxes during the humid weather.
    My question is which one?
    Are some better than others at clumping and controlling odor?
    Just want some honest opinions to help me decide.
    Thanks

We use Tidy Cat clumping. Mostly for being easy to find.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I use CatSan Ultra Clumping, but I don't know if you can get that in the US. We're very satisfied.

We're using a natural clumping product. The size is like small pebbles and Fister is very happy with it! We have no smells from it at all!

Good luck in finding the right one! Im sure you'll find it so much nicer to use!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We use Fresh Step...it works really well.

We also discovered a REALLY GREAT air freshener this weekend. It's one of those gel type things in that plastic, beige containers were you pull the top up a bit and it smells nice. Well, this one is a smell nutralizer and it works great!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

We are a bit weird and use chicken layer pellets. No smell, absorbs urine and Shane is big enough to lift the 40kg bags for me every few months!!!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Hi, after months of trying different kitty litters. Emily has FINALLY decided that the Arm & Hammer Crystal Blend is satisfactory for her little tootsies. We haven't had as many problems lately now that we have switched to this brand.

I gave up on clay based clumping litter because it did not deal with the smell and the bags were heavy. I've switched to a natural wheat based flushable (there are several brands available). No added artificial air freshners just a light natural smell and the bags are light weight . You can flush it down the toilet and most important the cats switched easily. Also no dust and minimal tracking problems.

I have tried LOTS of kinds, some were awful, but I liked Arm & Hammer, and used that for a long time til one day on here I saw a post about how the litter dust is bad for cats to breath, which I had never thought about, so thats when I kept trying different kinds, and now I have decided to stick with tidy cats for multiple cat households( tidy cats has different kinds) it seems to control the odor very well, and doesn't raise dust.
    Faith in God

I also used to use a clay based litter and found out about the health problems that it can cause in cats. I tried many natural litters and finally decided on a wheat litter called Swheat Scoop. My cats also seem to like it better than The Worlds Best Litter and it's not as expensive.

I use Fresh Step. I've found I like it the best.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

I've used several different brands in the past and recently switched to Arm & Hammer. I am actually finding it creates less dust. My cats' boxes are downstairs in the basement not far from a black book shelf. Before using Arm & Hammer I was constantly having to dust off that shelf. Lately there just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the dust, plus I like the smell.

Snowshoe I love your avatar.

We use Fresh Step...it works really well.
    I use Fresh Step as well, and I think it's much better than clumping litter. I used to use clumping, but it got too annoying, so I switched. And as a vet, I recommend Fresh Step. I also recommend this new litter box my cat has that I bought from a commercial. It senses the cat entering and leaving the litter box. Then, when the cat leaves, it sweeps up the droppings and puts them in this compartment attatced to it. I really love it. Anyway, if your still going with the clumping, good luck finding a brand.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

We use Ever Clean, which I think is the best available here. I have never heard of any of the names you mentioned here so I can't even compare.
    We had a litter box in the living room in our old appartment and you couldn't smell it if you sat near by. ANd it was an opend litter box... so I think it's a great brand.

I use Heartland Wheat Litter. It won't hurt the cats if they swallow some, and I can flush it down the toilet.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana