Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luna going to be tested for FeLV: She's negative!!!

Luna going to be tested for FeLV: She's negative!!!

Well, I posted Luna's test results here, and as her leukocytes are decreased for several years now, she's going to be tested for an underlying viral infection with FeLV. I just spoke to my vet about it. She said she checked this option and doesn't think it's FeLV as other parameters of her blood count are not like that. Also, she thinks the lab would have mentioned a possible FeLV infection as well if they thought the blood count was suspicious. But then she offered me to call the lab and order a test for feline leukemia (they still have the blood sample, I think), and I agreed...

Well, and now I'm really nervous, and fear the result. Hope I will get it on Thursday, as we have a holiday here on Friday. Please keep my Luna in your thoughts!! She had her basic immunization against FeLV as a kitten, and was vaccinated in the following years, but has never been tested. (Lily was tested after she lived here for several months, and her test was negative, so I figure if Luna was infected, Lily would have picked it up? And after that, they never have been exposed to other cats, or a possible source of infection).

Please keep your fingers crossed for my beloved Luna - and Lily, too!!!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 10-02-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Fingers and paws crossed here.

I looked over her blood test results but I really don't know what they mean - I'm clueless. I sure hope this test comes back negative and Luna will start feeling better soon.

From Decker with Love

The Clan have their paws folded in prayer for Luna and you!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Thank you very much!!!

Kirsten (& Luna )

Well, spoke to my vet today. She called the lab yesterday and ordered the test. She was told that they wouldn't have suggested to do the test because her blood cells, even though the WBC was low, did not look pathologic, so they think it's NO underlying viral infection. But my vet has asked them to do the test, to be on the safe side.

I really really hope it will turn out to be negative, and I'm getting more and more nervous about it!! During the last couple of months, I worked hard on fighting down my fears, and I think I did well, but when it comes to my beloved Luna, I can't help it. I'm really scared!!

I hope I will get the result tomorrow. My vet said she will call me when she got it (she even said this morning it may arrive today already, but as she did not call, I guess they did not send it).

Please keep my Luna in your thoughts!! It would be horrible if she had that dreadful disease!!!

Kirsten

Prayers on the way from me for you both.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kirsten, from what the lab said, even if she DOES have it, it would be very minor.

There are a number of Felv cats that live good long lives...I THINK (someone correct me on this) that it can only be spread by a deep bite.

Wishing the best for Luna, and expecting good news!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's so hard on the nerves whenever we have to wait for test results, especially when there's a holiday right in the midst of it. We'll keep the prayers going that all will be well. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you everyone for keeping my heart kitty in your thoughts...

I just spoke to my vet:

She's negative!!!

I'm so relieved!!! My vet thinks that it's her chronic urinary tract problems that shows in her WBC. She's been tested three times from early 2006 on, and each time, the result of her blood count was more or less the same. So it's either her immune system giving in to the constant inflammation of her bladder, or it's a condition she's born with, she said sometimes it happens. I truly hope it's not an early symptom of some kind of cancer, but my vet said the rest of her blood count doesn't look like it, and she's been x-rayed and everything, and there were no signs of cancer. So what else can we do? I guess at this point, I just have to accept this as good news, and don't put Luna through any more tests and checks. She needs her peace and quiet now to recover from her latest FLUTD.

When she's done with her antibiotics, I'm going to buy pills for her to boost her immune system (don't know what these meds are called, but my vet mentioned pills, and I will try them on Luna). I will also do more research on homeopathic things to help her with her bladder problems.

But for the time being, I'm just happy that Luna doesn't have feline leukemia!!

Kirsten

Yay! That's such good news! I'm happy for you and Luna, Kirsten. Now take a deep breath.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hooooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Whew! That's good news.

From Decker with Love

Many Congrats on the Good News.. Sending Lots of Huggss & Prayers.. Get Well Soon Luna

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thank you!

Luna is actually feeling better today. The antibiotics seem to kick in now.

Kirsten

Great news Kirsten, but I actually never thought for a second that she was positive!

Kisses to her and Lily!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.