Thread: Tiger in German zoo kills keeper and was shot dead

Tiger in German zoo kills keeper and was shot dead

A terrible thing happened in the zoo of Cologne yesterday. A 43 year old female animal keeper obviously made a mistake when she cleaned the Siberian tigers' enclosure. For some reason, 4 year old male tiger Altai managed to pass the gate and attacked the woman from behind. She didn't survive, and also the tiger paid for this with his life as he's been shot by the zoo director himself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1830031.html

I'm feeling sorry for the woman and her family, but also for that beautiful tiger who just did what tigers are doing in such situations. This is really sad!

Very sad, on both counts.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Well, tigers don't wan't anyone invading their space, but it's tragic. You know something similar happened in Copenhagen Zoo recently, but in this case, a guy climbed in during the night. They decided not kill the tiger.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Sad indeed, and just one more reason why these wild creatures should not be held in captivity unless it's for some type of breeding program. To be caged in a zoo setting for people to pay to view them, is just not acceptable anymore.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Sad indeed, and just one more reason why these wild creatures should not be held in captivity unless it's for some type of breeding program. To be caged in a zoo setting for people to pay to view them, is just not acceptable anymore.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Well, tigers don't wan't anyone invading their space, but it's tragic. You know something similar happened in Copenhagen Zoo recently, but in this case, a guy climbed in during the night. They decided not kill the tiger.
    Yes, I heard about that, and I'm glad that at least that tiger is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    Very sad, on both counts.
    So true!

I agree, too. Tigers don't belong in a confined space at a Zoo! Neither do lions and several other species.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

How very sad.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Very sad all the way around. If the Director had time to take a shot, why couldn't he use a tranquilizer dart
    instead of deadly force ?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

How sad. In the case of tigers, these animals in zoos may be the only way to assure the species survival, given the threats the wild populations face. It is tragic, but true.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Very sad all the way around. If the Director had time to take a shot, why couldn't he use a tranquilizer dart
    instead of deadly force ?
    I was wondering the same, but apparently things had to do quickly as he was still around the - then wounded - woman, and they wanted to get near her as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    How sad. In the case of tigers, these animals in zoos may be the only way to assure the species survival, given the threats the wild populations face. It is tragic, but true.
    I know. It's the same with polar bears. On the other hand, what kind of life do these animals have if they have no place to go, if their natural habitat does no longer exist? Do we have the right to keep the last remaining survivors their species in captivity after destroving the enviroment for their wild fellows? I'm no so sure about that...

Animals in zoos serve more of a purpose then just being a big money earner. They help with research of wild animals, give scientist views of things they could not logically do in the wild, help with conservation efforts via breeding and education, educate the public on the plight of their existence ('cause let's face it, not everyone is going to google the latest wildlife research, findings, news every week like I do), and allow people to see animals they probably wouldn't ever see otherwise. They also help fund conservation efforts for WILD populations. I will agree to an extent that some animals should not be caged. Not all Zoos and aquariums should be allowed to keep animals, that's obvious. For example, roadside zoos or people that are like you and me and want a wild pet. They simply do not have the money and resources the bigger organizations do and they don't care. I am not a big fan of circus shows and the like, I don't think they deserve animals just to be a show prop. I am not a huge fan of "Shamu" type shows either. But really to say that keeping animals in zoos is cruel and should be banned, that'd be a tremendous blow to conservation efforts. I can tell you the animals at the Georgia Aquarium eat better than I do.

These situations are awful and very sad. But that is what happens with wild animals. May the keeper and the tiger rest easy. Very sad all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    On the other hand, what kind of life do these animals have if they have no place to go, if their natural habitat does no longer exist? Do we have the right to keep the last remaining survivors their species in captivity after destroving the enviroment for their wild fellows? I'm no so sure about that...
    I think everyone's hope is that someday we will be able to restore their natural habitat, and let them - or their grandchildren - return to the wild. It varies species to species how realistic that hope is, of course.
    I've Been Frosted