Thread: Why did my dog attach himself to me?

Why did my dog attach himself to me?

We got a year old Chihuahua-Dachshund Mix from Animal Human about 2 weeks ago, and the minute we brought him home he attached himself to me. The only explanation I can think of for this is I held him during the car ride back. My mom and dad are the ones who feed him treat's (I don't since they feed him a lot to get him to like them.) but he still attaches himself to me. He runs around the house and doesn't always feel the need to be near me, but if I take a shower or something that involves me being in a different room than him, He'll whimper and try and paw his way under the door and into the room. Why did he get attached to me? Could it have been the car ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Samie View Post
    We got a year old Chihuahua-Dachshund Mix from Animal Human about 2 weeks ago, and the minute we brought him home he attached himself to me. The only explanation I can think of for this is I held him during the car ride back. My mom and dad are the ones who feed him treat's (I don't since they feed him a lot to get him to like them.) but he still attaches himself to me. He runs around the house and doesn't always feel the need to be near me, but if I take a shower or something that involves me being in a different room than him, He'll whimper and try and paw his way under the door and into the room. Why did he get attached to me? Could it have been the car ride?
    He sees you as his protector. Try working on getting him used to being apart from you. Do you mom and dad feed him his meals? Who takes him for walks? An idea of your daily routine with him will help us! He loves you, this does not need to be a bad thing!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Do you mom and dad feed him his meals? Who takes him for walks? An idea of your daily routine with him will help us! He loves you, this does not need to be a bad thing!
    All three of us feed him, and both my Mother and I take him on walks. Sometimes together, sometimes my mom, and sometimes just me. And I'm happy that he loves me, ecstatic about it really. I'm just worried because I'll be leaving for college soon and I'm not sure how he'll handle me being away for such a long time.

I am sure he will be fine, he may sulk a bit, but as long as everyone is participating in his feeding and walks now, he should adjust okay!
    I've Been Frosted

Why did my dog attach himself to me?

Well, According to me, it takes sometime to adjust with all members.

Thank you

We recently adopted out a dog at the shelter where I volunteer who had been returned 5 times!! This last time the adopter let us know how it was going. He said the first night was rough. He and Chaco (a Boston Terrier mix) went to bed and when his wife came to bed Chaco peed on her!
    And now Chaco is closer to the wife than he is the husband.

Just give it time. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. What happens if you are not home for the night? Maybe start trying that out now before you move away to college.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)