Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

[QUOTE=Karen;2432319]It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.[/QUOTE}

I'm sorry - what??

2. Here is my question.

I grew up "out in the country." Could not see the neighbors. Just the buffalo on the next farm. Went away to college. Lived alone from the time I graduated college until I met my husband. Over 20 years. During that time I lived alone. Including two years in Guadalajara Mexico and over 12 years in the city of Chicago. I traveled all over - 44 of the United States, Europe, Mexico and South America...even Egypt. Sometimes alone...other times with female friends.

Never...not once...did I ever think..."if only I had a gun!!!"

I had my purse stolen once. My own stupidity and not something I would be willing to shoot someone over. And... my insurance covered it.

So...why the fear?

Now...why don't we all go and say something nice about today's dog/cat/pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    So...why the fear?
    And for those of us on the other side of the debate, the question is exatly that: Why the fear?

A firearm is an inanimate object. I fear a firearm no more than I fear a tablesaw.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And for those of us on the other side of the debate, the question is exatly that: Why the fear?

A firearm is an inanimate object. I fear a firearm no more than I fear a tablesaw.
    So how many people do you know...or have you EVER heard of who were killed by a tablesaw???

Sita Singh, 41, Ranjit Singh, 49, the temple's President Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, Prakash Singh, 39, Suveg Singh, 84 and Paramjit Kaur, 41

Many maimed, some killed. I read OSHA logs routinely.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Are the rates of people being knifed in those countries as high as those of people being shot in this country?
    They are not, but as I clearly stated in my post, crimes committed with other types of weapons in countries where they have gun bans are much higher than (sometimes higher even than gun crimes committed in countries without a ban).

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Now if we are talking about sensible gun laws...like registration and background checks - of course I am all for that! That's like allowing people to drive without a road test or license and no car registration.
    This is a no-brainer here. I'm not against this (though I do know some people who are against registration, but I am not one of them). I'm all for being a responsible gun owner. But still - stricter gun control will not keep guns out of criminals' hands.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

So...why the fear?
    I truthfully do not have the fear that something will happen. That would be living my life in fear, and I don't. But like LH said, I agree that a gun is an inanimate object and it just doesn't strike fear in me. Guns are a part of life, and are they used immorally and irresponsibly? Absolutely and I think that is some we can all agree on. But clearly, someone who is going on a shooting rampage has issues already whether it be extreme anger or they just have their screws loose - but the gun didn't tell them to go on said rampage. The problem is these laws only strive to control a small factor - the weapon being used.

I would like to know how many of the ones who went on a shooting rampage over the years, had got their weapon legally and how many did not? Also, what does it take to be allowed to carry a gun? Any kind of psychological tests? What kind of papers do you fill out - and is that all you have to do?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I would like to know how many of the ones who went on a shooting rampage over the years, had got their weapon legally and how many did not? Also, what does it take to be allowed to carry a gun? Any kind of psychological tests? What kind of papers do you fill out - and is that all you have to do?

The nut case who opened fire in the movie theater and killed or wounded (60+? people), obtained all of his weapons, ammo, "riot gear" legally! His only run in with the law was a speeding ticket on his driver's license.

I've never applied for a gun permit, but you have forms to fill out for a background check, and a waiting period of a few days. No psych check. Just checking on criminally related matters. Anyone please feel free to correct me on this. Obviously if it turns up that you're a convicted felon, you will not get the permit. But of course that won't stop anyone from getting a gun if they really want one.

I'm certain other posters in this thread have more info on obtaining a permit than I do, but basically it's pretty darn easy for just about anyone to get one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Many maimed, some killed. I read OSHA logs routinely.
    So tell me about murder by table saw...I too read lots of OSHA logs and have't seen one yet!

But you know the big difference....a table saw - when used correctly, does not kill. A gun - when used correctly does.

A gun when used correctly doesn't kill.

A gun can be used to deter violence, put food on the table, punch holes in paper, there are many uses for them.

It very simply comes down to differing views of individual freedoms and rights. People who are for gun control and banning them will just never understand those of us who oppose those measures, and vice versa.

People will use many, many things to kill, a firearm just makes more headlines when it happens. More people are killed during their morning commute by accidents, yet no one wants to ban automobiles.

As to the licensing issue, license requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and mental illness CANNOT be considered for legal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Name:  dewndw744xrs.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  32.7 KB

This table saw is portable, so it would be able to chase you down.

----------------------------------

Go hang out in a trauma ER for a weekend and see all the crap people use to promote mayhem onto each other.

A gun is a rather impersonal way to show your displeasure at another human being.

----------------------------

Check out what a broken bottle will do to skin.

Check out the xray of a fractured skull. A baseball bat, tire iron or in a pinch? A brick will do nicely.

A stick or 2x4 makes a nice club.

Iron skillets can be wielded with no problem, or the hot fat/oil won't break a bone - but how's about a visit to the burn ward or a few dozen skin grafts.

Look about the room you are in and use a little imagination. You can pretty much beat the crap out of anyone with what's at hand.

Me?

I prefer not to let anyone get really close to me.

I don't like to be touched.

I don't like to be touched.
    Don't lie, we all know you're touched!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Don't lie, we all know you're touched!
    That's a different kinda 'contact' - stay on topic?

-----------------------

I do have a healthy respect, that borders on fear, of any electrical tool.

It makes me pay attention to detail.

I just saw a clip of a TV show where one of the characters is sitting in a bar, reading the comics.

She states that she is just looking at Charlie Brown falling down after Lucy pulls the football away when he tries to kick it.

"If Charlie Brown was packing, no one would mess with him."

Probably not.