Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy saved my life...

Andy saved my life...

Quite literally.

Saturday evening my boss, Clare, was throwing a party for her daughter's First Communion. A small gathering of friends and family were invited over for dinner. Dan was outside grilling London Broil and asparagus, some were downstairs watching the Kentucky Derby, while myself, Andy, and a few others were chatting in the living room.

Sometime during the evening, Dan came upstairs with a meager three pieces of steak on a platter claiming that was all that was left for dinner since GJ had gobbled the rest up. We laughed and I quipped that I thought that was the sample platter. Dan extended the platter saying we could have it if we wanted. Andy, Natalie, and I each grabbed a piece and began nibbling. Andy and Natalie had napkins and I, not seeing anymore in sight and failing at catching the juices in my hand, popped the chunk of steak in my mouth and began chewing resolutely. Dumb move #1.

I got up to wash my hands in the kitchen and decided to swallow the chunk of steak. Dumb move #2.

It didn't go down willingly and I slightly panicked, but could still breath. I thought about trying to cough it up, but decided I didn't want to gross anyone out, so I kept swallowing in vain.

Walking back to the living room, others seemed to notice I was having a problem and gave perplexed looks. Andy asked if I was okay. I nodded, eyes watering, still trying to swallow the chunk lodged in my throat. I went to take a breath, found I couldn't, and quickly shook my head. Everyone in surround sound cried, "Are you choking!?"

I nodded, patting frantically at my throat.

Andy deftly did the Heimlich maneuver, the piece in my throat moved, I gulped and it went down my esophagus begrudgingly. I inhaled sharply and it felt so good.

Denise got a glass of water for me while everyone else asked repeatedly if I was okay.

"Now that I can breathe I am!" I replied with an embarrassed smile.

Not being able to breathe = not fun.

Oh...but the night is not over.

Seeing as the crisis was averted, the teasing began. I was told my food should be cut up into baby sized pieces, that Andy must really love me since that could of been his ticket to freedom, and so on. I took it all in stride.

Dinner was finally ready and we all filled our plates.

Only a few bites into my food, I heard Denise make a strange yet painfully familiar sound. I looked up sharply and she locked eyes with me, gave me an "I'm okay." wave of the hand and went into the kitchen.

She, unlike me, tried to cough up her food into the sink. When it wouldn't, she made a frantic gesture, and Andy, once again, did the Heimlich and the offending piece of steak ended up on the kitchen floor.

By now, Dan is horrified that his meal is killing his guests and the kids are running around squealing that the dinner is deadly.

Granted it wasn't the food's fault, in fact it was quite delicious. Denise and I were simply abashed at not being more careful.

So Andy was a hero twice over that day. Dan claimed it was his innate Spider-Man abilities.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

WOW. That is insane!!! Twice in one night? Thank God for Andy!!! (and, as I like to tell Jonah, "take small bites"...! )

That happened to me once, it was really scary.

I am glad you are okay!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

The Heimlich maneuver is one everyone should learn. Thanks goodness for Andy! Woo hoo!

We all learned the Heimlich maneuver in gym class in high school. Funny enough, two days later, I came down with a painful sore throat. I didn't feel really sick, just a really sore throat, so I went to school. Well, I was sitting in homeroom, and had my hands around my throat, when a friend walked by, then double back and rushed in and said excitedly "Are you choking????" I quickly moved my hands and said "No, just a sore throat." She was kinda disappointed not to be able to use her newly learned skill!

Thank goodness Andy was there!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thanks. I do know how to do the Heimlich to others as well as to myself.

Clare knows it too but just happened to not be in the room at the time of both incidents.

It was definitely an interesting night.

It all happened in a matter of seconds, but felt like an eternity. It's so scary not being able to breath.

WOW! That must have been scary! Glad your ok.

OMG!
    THANKS ANDY!!! YOU'RE OUR HERO!!
    I'm so glad both of you are okay!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Not being able to breath is a VERY scary feeling. I'm SO glad that "Mr. Super Hero" Andy was there to save the day.

CUDOS dude!!!

Granted, the food was delicious, but come on girls!!! CHEW DAMMIT, CHEW!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yeah for Andy! That does sound scarey. I'm prone to choking on riduculous things, like a gulp of water, a bite of apple...I can relate! But I do have to admit I laughed reading your post, I guess it must be my sick sense of humor. sorry. I really am glad you're ok!

I am still wondeirng whether the steak was really as tender as it should have been?

Glad you survived! Definitely glad you survived!

Pat, it's okay. I wrote it to be kind of humerous in the sense that I should of known better.

Barbara, the steak I choked on was medium well done. Denise's was rare.

Dang you ladies are lucky

I've never choaked like that, but my old dog was choaking baddly & that was scary, but luckly I was able to pull it out when my hands, other wise dad was gonna pick him upside down & squeeze (he learned that long ago, with his old dog).. everyone should know how to do that on a person & on a dog!!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Oh, my gosh, he's Pet Talk's hero, for saving one of the coolest Talkers around! That's a story that will most certainly be told for years to come in your family! You had me cracking up in a few parts, I'm so glad that you're able to tell us about it, that would be so scary! Baby bites, baby bites.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Kim, what a terrible thing to happen.I do know how scary that can be.
    I think the more you sense you can't breath, the worse your throat closes
    up. I'm so glad Andy came to the rescue. Congrats Andy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt