Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your Prayers for Emily

Thanks. She ate again this evening, but is still sleeping in the fireplace. Yech!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I have a kitty dealing with hyperthyroid and he handles the pills just fine. He isn't gaining much weight (been on the pills almost a year) but he is acting like a normal cat otherwise. Plays, jumps up on things, bosses my other cat around, etc... My vet told me to watch his urine output because one of the signs that tapazole (or methimazole, which Mac takes) isn't working or helping the problem is that they will pee A LOT and spend more time sleeping. Get Emily to the vet. There are other ways of dealing with this condition that don't involve medicine which isn't effective.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    I have a kitty dealing with hyperthyroid and he handles the pills just fine. He isn't gaining much weight (been on the pills almost a year) but he is acting like a normal cat otherwise. Plays, jumps up on things, bosses my other cat around, etc... My vet told me to watch his urine output because one of the signs that tapazole (or methimazole, which Mac takes) isn't working or helping the problem is that they will pee A LOT and spend more time sleeping. Get Emily to the vet. There are other ways of dealing with this condition that don't involve medicine which isn't effective.
    Serious lack of money, but I can try animal care services, too. My vet is much more expensive, but he is likely to let me make payments. I'll have to check on this. Emily took a break from Tapazole because I was trying the low iodine diet. When I realized that wasn't working, I put her back on the Tapazole. It may take a month for it to work. It's only been a week, maybe 10 days.

Emily gains a little weight and her numbers are good on the Tapazole, but she vomits so much while on it. She tries to avoid it, even from a syringe.

I think she is also mad at me for going back to work. So go my trials with Emily. She still has plenty of energy, and until tonight, the excess peeing had stopped. I came in late and instead of feeding them right away, I went to the bathroom. I found fresh pee on the counter. Sigh.

So how do I get Tapazole in a cream for the ears? The compounding pharmacy locally is outrageous.

Thanks for the advice and for listening.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Maybe with a scrip from your vet you can order the cream online?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Maybe with a scrip from your vet you can order the cream online?
    I'll have to try that. First I ahve to talk to the vet about payments over time and cutting back on some of the fees.
    Anne

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post

So how do I get Tapazole in a cream for the ears? The compounding pharmacy locally is outrageous.
    Sending positive vibes out to dear Emily. I hope that she is doing better.

I don't know that you can get a compounded med on line, but you could check it out. And anything compounded is pricey. Myndi was on Tramadol for the pain of her arthritis, but getting anything in her mouth was an effort in futility. She had jaws of steel and would clamp them so tight that none of us could pry them open. Pulverizing the pill into a powder and adding liquid didn't work since she would let it dribble out. Couldn't put it in her food because then she wouldn't eat the food - those pills were extremely bitter. Hiding it in cheese or peanut butter - nope - that didn't work either. She just wasn't getting the med she needed so I asked her vet about compounding it. She checked with a pharmacy up state that does this, and they could do the Tramadol. I paid $9 per month for the pills at Walgreens, and $40 per month to get it in an ear cream from the compounding pharmacy. It was worth the extra tho - at least I knew she was getting the med she needed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Sending positive vibes out to dear Emily. I hope that she is doing better.

I don't know that you can get a compounded med on line, but you could check it out. And anything compounded is pricey. Myndi was on Tramadol for the pain of her arthritis, but getting anything in her mouth was an effort in futility. She had jaws of steel and would clamp them so tight that none of us could pry them open. Pulverizing the pill into a powder and adding liquid didn't work since she would let it dribble out. Couldn't put it in her food because then she wouldn't eat the food - those pills were extremely bitter. Hiding it in cheese or peanut butter - nope - that didn't work either. She just wasn't getting the med she needed so I asked her vet about compounding it. She checked with a pharmacy up state that does this, and they could do the Tramadol. I paid $9 per month for the pills at Walgreens, and $40 per month to get it in an ear cream from the compounding pharmacy. It was worth the extra tho - at least I knew she was getting the med she needed.
    She is doing better. She will only eat people food now. SIGH.

I've been putting it in her food so now she doesn't want to eat the cat food. This is one stubborn cat. I have to fight her for control over my food plate. I realized tonight I might have to get it compounded. At least the pharmacy is nearby. If I don't have to sub on Friday, I'll check with the vet, see if he will just do tests on Emily and Spunky. He's 12 and needs bloodwork done.

Thanks for understanding
    Anne

I've been able to get Tapazole as a topical ear cream from my vet. It's $36 for 3 mL, which lasts 15 days for my cat's needs.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I've been able to get Tapazole as a topical ear cream from my vet. It's $36 for 3 mL, which lasts 15 days for my cat's needs.
    That is so out of my budget. I will have to endeavor with the much cheaper pills. Once I get going with some tutoring and other odd jobs, Maybe I can switch over.
    My outgoing is more than my incoming. I've had to borrow from friends and family.

In other news, my vet of 7 years, on and off, mostly on, will not let me make payments over time. I tried for Care Credit again and was denied. SIGH. So now to find a new vet. Or beg for money. There is a local group that helps out.

Emily is a survivor, but I'm really worried about Sam. I think he has had a reaction to flea bites. He's hiding right now but eating, in the cupboard of all places. I'm wondering if that is where he got the fleas. It's not used. He knows how to open cupboard doors.

He got flea med tonight topical. I'm trying for capstar later and some tapeworm meds.

I need your prayers.
    Anne

Just replying to this because I've been fighting this with Yodee. When I first brought her home she was on the pills. Her T4 went down so her med was cut in half. Then she started to lose her appetite so I asked and received the cream for the ear. I was giving her that for about 4 or 5 days and during that time she went back to the vets for a lion cut because she was covered with mats and I'd lose a hand or both if I tried to groom her. I also noticed that her appetite increased dramatically.
    Test results came back yesterday and her T4 is up again so tonight I've started her on the pills again. I crush them and put them in some very fishy stinky wet food that she likes. She didn't eat much of that but I'm hopeful that by the time I go to bed most of it is eaten. I can pill her but she hates it and gags sometimes.

It's a never ending process. **sigh** Prayers for Emily coming your way. I feel your pain.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Just replying to this because I've been fighting this with Yodee. When I first brought her home she was on the pills. Her T4 went down so her med was cut in half. Then she started to lose her appetite so I asked and received the cream for the ear. I was giving her that for about 4 or 5 days and during that time she went back to the vets for a lion cut because she was covered with mats and I'd lose a hand or both if I tried to groom her. I also noticed that her appetite increased dramatically.
    Test results came back yesterday and her T4 is up again so tonight I've started her on the pills again. I crush them and put them in some very fishy stinky wet food that she likes. She didn't eat much of that but I'm hopeful that by the time I go to bed most of it is eaten. I can pill her but she hates it and gags sometimes.

It's a never ending process. **sigh** Prayers for Emily coming your way. I feel your pain.
    Yes, and thank you. Emily watches me and won't eat it if I put something in her food. She runs from the syringe. I want her to flourish but..... perhaps it is enough to keep her stable and not peeing everywhere.

Tapeworm meds are next
    Anne

1800PetMeds will compound most meds and they are at a very reasonable price. I do NOT have any spare money at all, but I could afford Mac's meds in compounded form if I had to. I get Mac's Methamizole from PetMeds at about 1/5 the price my vet charges me for them.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    1800PetMeds will compound most meds and they are at a very reasonable price. I do NOT have any spare money at all, but I could afford Mac's meds in compounded form if I had to. I get Mac's Methamizole from PetMeds at about 1/5 the price my vet charges me for them.
    Thank you

At .49 tablet, it is 2.50 per month more expensive than my personal pharmacist. My vet charged 36 a month. I get it as 12.50 per month

And the compound is $7 more than my vet.

If I were to get the larger bottles, it would be cheaper over time. hmmmm

However, "This product cannot be shipped into NC or SC." What? I'd send it to my brother but he lives in NC. Wow!

But thanks for the thought.
    Anne

Anne, do you have a PayPal account? There's several of us that don't have a lot of money, but would like to help you out with Emily. You could just take the money to your vet.

What do you think?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Anne, do you have a PayPal account? There's several of us that don't have a lot of money, but would like to help you out with Emily. You could just take the money to your vet.

What do you think?

I do and was thinking of using it like a credit card and just for vet care. Let me find it.

and thank you

Anne
    Anne