Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A job interview today and a moral issue

A job interview today and a moral issue

Some of you might know I have lost my job earlier this year, and I'm unemployed since. The economic situation in Germany is very very bad at the moment and there are only a few vacant jobs available. I'm looking for an office job btw.

Some weeks ago, the unemployment office told me to apply for a job in the new Multiple Sclerosis Research Center in a nearby town, and I was invited for a job interview today.

The job itself sounds okay, even though it sounds like a lot of responsibility, since I would also have to manage the financial things. I would have to work with scientists from all over the world and would have to speak English most of the time, and also type scripts in English, it sounds like a real challenge.

BUT - they will do tests on animals for their research, with mice and rats! They asked me if that would be a problem for me. I told them I'm a veggie and that I find these tests cruel, and they agreed they are, but that there's no other way at the moment. I admitted that I can see a difference between tests done for medical research and those done for things like new cosmetics (since we really don't need any more new shampoos or lipsticks IMO). I don't have enough knowledge to say if there are other ways in medical research, too, and - of course - if I or someone close to me would have a severe disease such as cancer or ms, I would gladly accept a new medicine that can help to cure the illness.... It's such a difficult decision!

I really don't know what to do if they will offer that job to me. I would feel like a hypocrite and as if I had sold my soul. On the other hand, I desperately need a job, and if I would reject a job offered to me, the unemployment office would stop paying my unemployment money, so I wouldn't have any other choice anyway. Kind of tough, isn't it?

Kirsten

I'm going to go on a limb here, Kirsten, and say you should take the job. Maybe you won't keep it very long, but right now you have to think rationally. In tough economic times, we have to make sacrifices we may not have to make during better times. if there were a lot of jobs out there, you'd be able to pass. But right now you have to worry about feeding yourself and your family and pets.

It may not be the idea situation, but the end result, as you said, does help people. So, maybe that thought can help you until you find something else.

I agree with 2kitties
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I agree with 2kitties. This research isn't frivolous, its for the better good. How do you feel about taking this job? Will you be faced with seeing these tests being done on animals, and therefore being upset every day? I think that is the most important thing to think about.
    There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the bite out of being alone. ~Louis J. Camuti

The truth is that I'm still on the animal testing fence in general. I am almost always against it. And I am invariably against cruelty. I def don't think an animal should have to suffer so I can have a papaya scented shampoo. But I do understand that some of our most valuable medical breakthroughs we owe to a little white mouse. Those little mice save the lives of millions.

I'm no scientist, so I don't have the answer for either side.

2kitties, i'm finding that the more posts i read from you, that we think alike
    There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the bite out of being alone. ~Louis J. Camuti

Originally posted by 2kitties
    The truth is that I'm still on the animal testing fence in general. I am almost always against it. And I am invariably against cruelty. I def don't think an animal should have to suffer so I can have a papaya scented shampoo. But I do understand that some of our most valuable medical breakthroughs we owe to a little white mouse. Those little mice save the lives of millions.

I'm no scientist, so I don't have the answer for either side.
    Amen, 2K.

I personally would gladly take the job and be happy. But you only should if it won’t bother you. I don’t think it would bother me so much, knowing that my contribution and the mice’s contributions will help mankind, and not just make a foundation that covers my zits better. That, I couldn’t do.

Good luck!

Originally posted by andrea_NMAggie
    That's really sweet of you, but stick around.... I'm bound to p*ss you off about something. It's a talent

Difficult situation Kirsten - but taking into account that you need the money so badly - how about accepting the job if/when it's offered and then looking round for another position? I know it's a mean thing to do - but-------needs and devils spring to mind.
    It's quite a quandry to be in.
    BTW - I don't think you'll have any problems writing the reports in English - yours is superb.
    Good Luck with the difficult decision.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Originally posted by andrea_NMAggie

What? I thought I was 2Kitties soul mate?

Kirsten,
    I think you should accept the job, if offered. Times are too tough for you right now.

Originally posted by Cataholic
    What? I thought I was 2Kitties soul mate?
    Don't worry Cat. I'm a whole lotta woman. Plenty of me to go around

Thanks everyone!

I also agree with 2kitties and all the others who are against animal testing in general. I think how can we humans be so arrogant to put us above all other beings and use (and abuse) them for our needs in such a cruel way? On the other hand, when I'm sick, I'm going to the pharmacy to get some pills... I can see my own inconsequence here!

I think it's a good idea - if that job will be offered to me - to accept it but then look for another one.

@andrea_NMAggie: I think I won't have to see them all the time, but I would have to order them when they need new ones and also would have to write the lab reports.

@Lynne: Thanks! Yes, I hope it will be good enough! In a previous job, I was translating scripts about environmental legal sources (boring stuff btw), and I don't think it was too bad - but I had a good dictionary.

Kirsten

Oh yes, and by the way, you have great command of the English language! (no need for you to worry about that!)

Thanks!

Kirsten

As I agree with what has already been written, i will just say....

Congratulations on being offered the job and take it