Thread: Mitzi & Mr. Mishi's First Meeting

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Mitzi & Mr. Mishi's First Meeting

Well, Hell hath no fury like one pissed off Mishi. I'm following the introduction protocol recommended my AnimalSavers. Today was the first day to introduce them to each other - one in a carrier, the other free to explore. Here's what happened.

Mishi climbed into the carrier all by himself -- his idea, not mine, so I nabbed the opportunity to do the next stage of the
    introduction protocol. They only lasted 5 minutes looking at each other from about 5' apart before the hissing and growling started so I knew they'd both had enough. She also starts to hiccup when she gets stressed. Does anyone know what to do for kitty hiccups - I've never dealt with that before! She just looks bewildered when it happens - it is funny and cute, but I know she's not comfortable. Poor ball o' fluff.

When I went to release him back into his room, one of his long curved claws got stuck on the carrier door grill and he let out with his Mishigaas snarling and yeowling! Scared me too! Now I have to figure out which claw is snagging and snip it in a calm moment. Yeah, I know -- good luck!

All's back to "normal" again. They're each in their separate rooms, purring and furring. She is getting braver, approaching his room and sniffing at the door, so I know we're making progress. Ah kids!

AnimalSavers
    http://www.geocities.com/animalsaversofcalifornia

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Sometimes the first step isn't always the best but the next could be wonderful. Good luck and don't hyperventilate taking all those deep calming breaths.

Mitzi and Mr. Mishi - Day 2

Well they hate each other, or at least they do today. I put her in the carrier and let him visit. They lasted less than 2 minutes before the hissing and growling started and then he bolted for his safe room. The introduction protocol says I'm supposed to let them be together, one in a carrier for 5-10 minutes a day the second week the new cat is in the house.

I'm also doing the swapping rooms thing once or twice a day so they get used to each other's scents and the fact that there is another cat in the house. Last night, I had a hard time getting him back to his room. I finally just bundled him in my arms, with much grumbling from him (he gets SCARY angry!) and deposited him in his room.

I'm going to try again later today for another supervised "visit," but this is discouraging. They're each aware there is another cat being in the house and neither one is happy about the situation.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

All the best with introductions. It does take some time, for things to settle.

Best of luck with the introductions. Things do tend to go slowly, but do not fret, they will come around.
    If you want to know the truth, I have never introduced cats to each other when one is in a carrier. I know a lot of people say this is a good way, but try to think about how the caged cat feels. VERY TRAPPED. no place to run no place to hide. So, if the carrier method fails you, a baby gat or lattice between the rooms might serve your purpose better. they can see and smell , but not fight and EACH of them can runm and hide if that is what they choose to do.

Thanks, yes a gate seems like it would be better. I'll have to check that out, although he still climbs into his carrier by himself. I may have to encourage him. heh heh heh

PayItForward, your Milly looks a lot like my little Mitzi - she has the same half gold, half black face and the white mitts. So pretty and cute!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

I have to agree, your Mitzi is so pretty and cute too But I might be prejudice.

Day 3 - we're making progress!

Well I decided to forego the carrier thing today and just let them have a highly supervisied visit and it went better than I expected First I let them gaze at each other through a doorway. He growled, she puffed up (she's already round, so she resembled a furry beach ball with white feet ) I let them stare at each other for a bit, kept a hand on his collar while he growled; I calmed with with soothing words and pets and he decided to go lounge on the couch in the living room.

Well, little Ms. Mitzi, the floozy flirt, wasn't going to be ignored. LOL I had been warned she could be a real flirt with the guys and they were right. She came very bravely sauntering past where Mishi was laying on the couch and casually strolled into the kitchen for a nibble. If little kitty hips could swish, hers were diong the Full Mitzi! Mishi just stared at her in the kitchen, enthralled, growling a bit, but then he calmed down.

After her snack she draped herself in the kitchen doorway in a kitty centerfold pose and washed herself. I think Mr. Mishi is smitten, or at least baffled and confused. They both gazed at each other, licking their lips and their paws, and then she just swished past and went to her room.

I think this is progress. Stay tuned for the next episode of "The Days of My Kittys' Nine Lives."

>^..^<

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here