Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

School security protocols- my mom told me that the school principal and psychologist tried to head off the shooter and he just shot them and kept going. I know at the schools where my family members teach, there is one entrance to the building that isn't locked after school begins. If anyone needs to get into school during the day you have to go through the front door and be checked in.

A question for those of you who understand this better than I do. What was the intent of the writers of the Bill of Rights when they included the Second Amendment? Was it to allow people to have guns in case they were needed for military service? Was it to allow an individual citizen, not necessarily a militia member, to have a gun? Now we have modern police forces and extremely efficient guns and rifles. They couldn't have seen either of those coming.

And another question. All the news reports have said this is an idyllic suburban community. Why, then, did the shooter's mother have guns in her possession?

I read a column by Mel Robbins in which she argues that taking a look at mental illness needs to be a part of ending these types of shootings. I think she's on to something.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If this guy's mother was the gun(s) owner, and was a "responsible" gun owner, I can't help but wonder if this responsible person had the guns under lock and key. If she did, she might still be alive - along with the 20 children and 6 adults that are dead because of her guns!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm sorry, I misworded that. I should have added presumably in front of it to prove my point. They never said if the guns were locked up or not. He killed her at home, I think he would have stopped at nothing to get these guns, and I'm sure she could not have prevented that after he showed up at her house.

You honestly think if they were this wouldn't have happened? I am sure this would have happened either way, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    A person in a small town in Connecticut has a Glock, a Sig-Sauer, and an AR-15 type rifle. This is heavy duty stuff. Jack Reacher would not have such an arsenal. But we still have the right to have them on our dressers, don't we? More likely to shoot a family member or companion animal in any case.
    A kindergarten teacher in an idyllic small New England town.. Instead, the family member shot her.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    A kindergarten teacher in an idyllic small New England town.. Instead, the family member shot her.
    Scratch the surface of that small, idyllic New England town and you'll find the same puss and corruption as anywhere else, and in some cases worse.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

You know this for a fact, do you? I live in a small village - think I better clean my assault rifle. The gun lovers rhetoric is putting the skeer in me.

Just FYI, I'm in the military & know a bit about the subject of weaponry. I would never keep any in my home.

Yes, I know that for a fact. I grew up in a small New England town. Just as much crime and scandal as anywhere else, just looked prettier in photos.

I'm retired from the military. Qualified expert on damned near everything in the US small arms inventory up to a ma deuce, and spent plenty of time as a weapons range safety NCO, Observer Controller, and a slew of other training positions. Your point?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Yes, I know that for a fact. I grew up in a small New England town. Just as much crime and scandal as anywhere else, just looked prettier in photos.

I'm retired from the military. Qualified expert on damned near everything in the US small arms inventory up to a ma deuce, and spent plenty of time as a weapons range safety NCO, Observer Controller, and a slew of other training positions. Your point?
    My point (and I do have one) is that amateurs with guns are scary and dangerous.

A person in a small town in Connecticut has a Glock, a Sig-Sauer, and an AR-15 type rifle. This is heavy duty stuff. Jack Reacher would not have such an arsenal. But we still have the right to have them on our dressers, don't we? More likely to shoot a family member or companion animal in any case.
    Heavy duty stuff? Really?

Please, that's not even serious target shooter levels of stuff.

Nowhere near avid collector stuff.

Media, media, media.......

You're living proof of how easy it is to sensationalize and "put the skeer" in people.

I REALLY hope these are facetious comments, otherwise there is just no hope.
    This is just someone who really really loves his guns trying to put the "skeer" in you while he sneers at you.

I fear there is no hope. We, as a nation, will just allow the insanity to go on. Too, too many people are more in love with guns than they are with their neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    This is just someone who really really loves his guns trying to put the "skeer" in you while he sneers at you.

I fear there is no hope. We, as a nation, will just allow the insanity to go on. Too, too many people are more in love with guns than they are with their neighbor.
    You are wrong. His point was those guns were not as "dangerous" in terms of what serious gun collectors handle as the media has made them appear. And gun can be deadly. I have handled far more "deadly" guns than those myself.

I know plenty of gun owners who still have plenty of love for their neighbors, and respect for them. And who would, if it came down to it, be as willing to defend their neighbor or a stranger as themselves if the situation called for it.

Gun ownership has nothing to do with one's love of his or her neighbor, or one's desire to make the world a better place for his or her children.
    I've Been Frosted

11. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    You are wrong. His point was those guns were not as "dangerous" in terms of what serious gun collectors handle as the media has made them appear. And gun can be deadly. I have handled far more "deadly" guns than those myself.

I know plenty of gun owners who still have plenty of love for their neighbors, and respect for them. And who would, if it came down to it, be as willing to defend their neighbor or a stranger as themselves if the situation called for it.

Gun ownership has nothing to do with one's love of his or her neighbor, or one's desire to make the world a better place for his or her children.
    You are entitled to your opinion Karen. I am entitled to mine. I don't want to live next door or even down the street from someone who has guns. (Yes, I suppose I do. But not that I know of.)

Would those gun owners give up their guns if it could bring back those 20 children? Of course they will say..."it won't bring them back so what is the point?" I still ask - would they give up their guns if it would bring back those children?

And why does it take three guns - or 17 guns as I posted about earlier to make a house safe. What kind of attack are they repelling and how does someone shot three guns at a time?

But logic is never the point is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

This has got to me one of the MOST ridiculous things I have ever read. No one I know of who is against gun control is "more in love with gun then they are their neighbor" and I am sure that applies to very very little gun owners.. Let's stop making rash generalizations about gun owners simply because you fear the object.

As long as you keep trying to harp on "Gun Control", this will happen, until you start looking at the bigger picture and the REAL issue here, the person behind the gun, and not the inanimate object that has no control over itself.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    This has got to me one of the MOST ridiculous things I have ever read. No one I know of who is against gun control is "more in love with gun then they are their neighbor" and I am sure that applies to very very little gun owners.. Let's stop making rash generalizations about gun owners simply because you fear the object.

As long as you keep trying to harp on "Gun Control", this will happen, until you start looking at the bigger picture and the REAL issue here, the person behind the gun, and not the inanimate object that has no control over itself.
    Wha..wha...what??? Please speak English???

14. Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post

No rational discussion... just insult those who think diffferently than you do..right???

15. Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post

You certainly topped me for ridiculous!

I do not fear the object. I fear the people who feel the need for the object. And that is the BIGGER picture.

However, we do both agree. It is the person behind the gun.

And in the joyous season???? A shooting at a mall very neat to me last night.