Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Remember when?

Redhedd, you brought me back to another few - Mary Quant and BIBA!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by Randi
    Redhedd, you brought me back to another few - Mary Quant and BIBA!!
    Jean Shrimpton, Veruschka, Twiggy ... and trying to have eye lashes like Twiggy - oh-so-carefully painting those spider legs over my eyes ...

Roller skates with keys, Keds, Play Doh, Silly Putty, Slinkie, Hula Hoops, playing Jacks .....

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Originally posted by tuxluvr
    However, I do see extraordinary strength in the young men and women willing to put their lives on the line for freedom today, so I don't think all is lost in the "guts and gumption" department of our youth!
    Just to put the record straight, I must say that I really agree 100% on that.
    I'm so glad it's not me who has to grow up and make some sense of this mad, mad world! Mine was more than mad enough.
    Where's the logic, where's the good old-fashioned common sense? Where's the appreciation of the fact that others have to follow where we have lead them? Where's the humility and tolerance? (Come on you bl**dy politicians, get your act together and stop all this greed and hypocrisy!)

And, although a bit off the topic, I think I'd better revise my previous statement too:

My cat is more intelligent than the majority of politicians!

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

Re: how come

Originally posted by leslie flenner
    PSSSSSSST? Song on commercial: "It's the neat shampoo you can do on the run!" (I think- correct me if i'm wrong!) It was a dry spray one could spray on that "cleaned the hair" (same as baby powder does).
    Oh gosh, we went through a LOT of cans of PSSSSSSSST! I had two sisters, all of us having that long, straight hair that was popular back then, but this was before the days of the blow dryer, so if we didn't have time to wash our hair the night before and let it air dry, this was our only option. Actually, I don't remember that it worked very well - mostly just looked and felt like you had dusted your head with powder, so your hair just looked dull and cakey.

I still remember the first "blow comb" or "hot comb" that my mom bought - it was a crude blow dryer (more heat than air), but it was flat and shaped like a comb, with the heat coming out through a brush attachment snapped onto it. You were supposed to brush / comb your hair as usual and it would "magically" dry your hair in half the time! (Worked about as well as the PSSSSSST )

How weird is this, that I not only remember my mom's bonnet-style hairdryer with the little plastic cap, but I remember the smell of it! My mom was always under it with those black brushy rollers in her hair, with the pink plastic picks to hold them in place. (I used to play with her Dippity-Do setting gel when she wasn't looking. )
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

So long as were being nastalgic....lol

OK ok I'm only 22 but things nowdays make me feel OLD especially in my line of work *confusers I mean er computers*. I remember my first game system. When I was 5 my parents bought me a Comadore 64. That thing was soooooooo cool! I loved playing the game where the little sitck figures beat each other up while making cheasy Bruce lee type noises . I learned to program Basic on that thing too. When my parents "Upgraded" and got me my first console system, a Sega Genisis (I missed out on nintendo, but the C64 had better games. Nintendo missed out on Frogger lol) I sat in fron of that thing playing Target Earth and Altered Beast for HOURS. Mom had to come in and unplug my TV at dinnertime! TV was more fun too, cause they had shows like GI Joe and Transformers and Thundercats...The ninja turtles were cool too. I wanted to marry Leonardo lol. Nowdays you ask a kid about Transformers and such and they look at you funny....when I was little I watched things like Rainbow Brite and Care Bears *I STILL watch care bears on tape sometimes lol* and Fraggle Rock. I watched just about every Donald Duck cartoon I could get my paws on too hehe. I remember when my parents first got a CD player...man were we COOL! I was one of the first kids in my school that had one at home. Anyone remember Beta tapes? Pfft on ebay theyre selling the players for like $200....ugh.
    I'm done rambling...do any of you remember that stuff or have kids that played with Ninja Turtle toys lol?
    I'll end with a song
    "Karma karma karma chamilian, you come and go, you come and goooo, lovin is always easy when your colors are like my dreams, red blue and greenm red blue and green."

Eeek lol

DJFyrewolf36, yeap I remember. My daughter is 18, she watched all that stuff on tv too. And the games, oh yeah, my kids, all three of them loved the games. My olders kids, had the one that pacman came out on, and frogger, there was another one too, but I don't remember it. I remember one Christmas, the kids got a fishing game, and all the grown men in the house took the game away from the kids and spent Christmas day playing that darn fishing game!

Yes, you young people have some good olden day memories to share too.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I had a pacman mini arcade thing and it made the MOST obnoxious noise....mom HATED me cause Id be up playing it at all hours *beep beep beep* She finally figured out a way to turn the sound off lol.

My dad and cousin in law took away my fishing game and played it once too...on my birthday! Ugh, took mom hours to get em to let me play lol

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

I'm a Bit Too Young to Remember These...

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
    ALL OVER THE MAP
    'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
    IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
    Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
    BY MISTAKE
    SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
    HER HUSBAND JAKE
    Burma Shave

Remember these? For those who never saw the Burma Shave signs, here is a
    quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before the
    Interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs
    would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were !
    small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart,
    each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet ... and the obligatory 5th
    sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

Here are more of the actual signs:

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
    TO GAIN A MINUTE
    YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
    YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
    Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
    DRIVER SNOOZING
    WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
    IS NOT AMUSING
    Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
    LET'S REHEARSE
    ALL TOGETHER
    GOOD MORNING, NURSE
    Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
    TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
    LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
    AND MORE STEER
    Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
    WEATHER WAS NOT
    TIRES WERE THIN
    X MARKS THE SPOT
    Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
    OF PAUL FOR BEER
    LED TO A WARMER
    HEMISPHERE
    Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
    LICKETY-SPLIT
    BEAUTIFUL CAR
    WASN'T IT?
    Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
    NO MATTER HOW NEW
    THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
    IN THE CAR IS YOU
    Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
    A CAR WIDE OPEN
    IS NOT THINKIN'
    HE'S JUST HOPIN'
    Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
    LOOK EACH WAY
    A HARP SOUNDS NICE
    BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
    Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
    EYES ON THE ROAD
    THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
    DRIVER'S CODE
    Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
    WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
    DEPENDS ON YOU
    TO DO HIS THINKING
    Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
    DRIVER IN TREE
    THE MOON WAS FULL
    AND SO WAS HE.
    Burma Shave

And my all time favorite:

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
    TAKE IT SLOW
    LET OUR LITTLE
    SHAVERS GROW
    Burma Shave
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Ok how about getting the Hot wheels cars with a fill up . Ok I told you I was a tom boy. Or how about the tootsie toy cars. I think my dad still has my set in the barn.

When I was very young.....

I remember a handsoap that had a toy in the center. We used to go to our grandmother's house, and wash, and wash to get to the middle! I have yet to find anyone who recalls this soap. It was early 60s. I may just still have the plastic grey elephant that was in the middle of one bar.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

Re: When I was very young.....

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
    I remember a handsoap that had a toy in the center. We used to go to our grandmother's house, and wash, and wash to get to the middle! I have yet to find anyone who recalls this soap. It was early 60s. I may just still have the plastic grey elephant that was in the middle of one bar.
    They must have brought those back cause when I was little I had one with a little car in it encouraged me to wash lol. We could get it at the Costco....haven't seen it since I was little though

Re: When I was very young.....

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
    Oh my gosh, that triggered a very faint memory for me - I do remember a soap that had a toy in the middle, and also a soap that had "hair", like it was all fuzzy. Were they the same thing?

Edited: They WERE the same thing! I just found this site for memories about retro toys, etc.: Feeling Retro and there it was - Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap! I think all of us "oldsters" should check this site out!
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 05-17-2004 at 05:33 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

DJ Fyrewolf - I had one of those Pac Man mini-arcades too! I THINK I got it for Christmas around '81 or '82??

Jonza - you are right - I also go two pressies a year - one for my brithday, and one for christmas. I remember being REALLY excited the year I got a radio alarm clock. Now you just throw them in the trolley with the shopping!! I also remember being picked for the "reserve" Netball team at school, and rushing home to tell my mum that I needed a Netball for practicing. She told me I could get one for my birthday (three months away)

tuxluvr - It is with deep regret (and a large amount of nausea) that I inform you that TABU is STILL AVAILABLE. Not only that, but it is my Mum-In-laws favoutire perfume, and now thanks to the wonder of the internet she is able to find it and buy it again. BOY does it STINK!

Moosmom - I had a Tiny Tears too - I loved that doll, and I was devastated on Christmas day when one of her legs fell off!

Funny up-to-date story re "Capri Pants". Background: They are practical here in the Middle East, as you don't always want to wear long trousers or dresses, but due to local customs need to cover up, so Capri's are a great compromise!. My Hubby HATES them, so whenever I wear them he says,

"Hey Julie, why don't you throw a party and invite your pants down" (ie down to my ankles - they just REALLY annoy him!)

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Re: Re: When I was very young.....

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    Oh my gosh, that triggered a very faint memory for me - I do remember a soap that had a toy in the middle, and also a soap that had "hair", like it was all fuzzy. Were they the same thing?

Edited: They WERE the same thing! I just found this site for memories about retro toys, etc.: Feeling Retro and there it was - Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap! I think all of us "oldsters" should check this site out!
    WOW....now that's a memory trigger! Neat site...thanks!
    Author Unknown ~*~

I just went to that feeling retro place and found Stratego of all things. Gosh, I played that game with my next door neighbor all the time! Except we'd argue over stupid stuff like how the Spy worked and all....I hated the stupid spy!!!