Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A puppy may be coming home?

Candy, you have my sympathy and please know that I really feel for you at the moment - this must be incredibly difficult for you.

From what has been said I find it hard to believe you will see any aggressive behaviour from Cooper. The two incidents seem to be food related and with one person and I think that a person trainer not a dog trainer is what is needed.

I think it is unrealistic for two intelligent people to imagine they will have the time or energy to sort out what they see as problems with the dog. The very fact that they have gone to a man famed for his quickness at training dogs shows that they are not ready to commit for a long haul with this dog. They need to understand why the incidents happened, that alone will take time and energy and then they can start to understand how to make sure it never happens again.

They do not sound like bad people to me - just ignorant of the time and energy needed to ensure that a dog is happy and healthy and even less aware of what can happen when a dog is not cared for ALL the time the way it deserves to be cared for.

I would think about offering them visits to see Cooper at your house before you go with the law and mention that they should of consulted you before passing the dog on to a third party.

As I said, I would not be at all surprised if no aggressive behaviour is seen but Golden's are as likely to be aggressive as any other dog - in fact it is the breed that most often tops the biting scale in this country. That is mainly because it is a popular breed of dog but it also shows that the are capable of aggression.

A genetic defect is also a possibility. Because the rest of the litter have not shown any aggression does not make it impossible - it may be a new mutation or a recessive trait or the first sign that the line is "overbred" leading to weak nerves.

I have certainly come across aggressive goldens many times - nine times out of ten it is owner error - and I am sure that it is with Cooper.

I am very keen to know how you get on and wish with all my heart that you can persuade them that they are not the right people and it is not the right time in their lives for Cooper.

Good luck, Candy, I am sure that Cooper needs only confident handling and some understanding and there will be no more problems.

It's the 18th...any news on the Cooper situation??? I really hate stupid people and I think these people qualify!! I've been wondering what's been happening. Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I have not heard from these people on how the consultation with the super wiz dog trainer went. I have left several phone messages and am not getting any replies back.

At this point, I am so totally confused about what I should do. I want to get Cooper back and I made an appointment for the 28th to speak to a Contract lawyer about it. I don't want to tip my hand too soon so they are aware of my intentions. I already am clueless to where he is since they have given him to the relatives.

I wish I had better news to report.

Dixie, I know how you feel about those dogs, they are your life like Daisy and Perry are mine and I just am sick over this for you. I think you are right not to tip your hand right away. I think it's best to talk to the contract lawyer before you do anything else. See what they have to say first. I'm sure they will advise you on the right path to take. I'm sorry you have to go through this as I know how worried you are about Cooper, we will all pray that it turns out that you get him back soon.
    Jackie

This sounds ominously like the Tobey situation. I think you can probably take them to small claims court too, but I would talk to a lawyer first. Generally speaking the animal makes a surprising reappearance then the law gets involved. You may want to contact the local police to see if there are any possible answers there. Good luck.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Candy,

I too am so sorry that this had to happen this
    way. If only some people looked at their pets
    as family and not trophies it would help.
    Try not to worry about Cooper's wereabouts; an
    attorney if authorized by you, can make these
    people produce the (property) dog.Sorry to word
    it that way, but the laws do consider them as
    property. After you have had a chance to meet
    with your state's lawyer & consider your options
    then you'll know better what to expect.Again, I'm
    so sorry this has happened. I can only guess how
    much emotional turmoil you are going through.
    Best Of Luck, Liz & Buddy.

Candy,

Just checking in to wish you All The Best in
    your appointment today.Hopefully this attorney
    can give you some piece of mind & let you know
    what your options are under Pennsylvania law.
    A contract is a contract in any state, but the
    steps used to ensure compliance might be different. Best of Luck & Godspeed. Liz & Buddy.

Yes! Best of luck! Please keep us in touch when you can.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Good luck today, Candy! I'm so sorry you had to go this route. Most of all we're rooting for the sweet, innocent little pup. Love to you from Sandra, Cody and Star

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

The lawyer said I do have grounds to stand on with the contract. After our discussion, here is what I have decided to do.

1. Find out what the trainer said about the dog.

2. Interview the brother in law who has the dog now and see if I feel he is capable of dealing positively with Cooper. He will need to fill out a contract also if he proves to be a good candidate home. This contract will state he is to contact me every three months with behavior updates and sooner if he thinks he has a aggression problem.

3. If he does not agree to the contract, I will take the dog back immediately. I am also prepared to pay 1/2 of the purchase price of the pup back to the original owners. If there is a hard time at that point, then I will file suit and get the dog back legally.

I am really hoping that it doesn't get to the point of legal intervention.

Thanks for all the moral support and encouragement. It means a lot!

Woohoo!!! I pray this all works out in the end. For Cooper AND you!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Candy,

For what it's worth, I think you have formed an excellent
    plan. Especially getting the "new owner/ brother-in-law" to
    sign a new contract. They can't help but get the point that
    you take your dogs(and their welfare) seriously.You are a
    model for reputable breeders everywhere. All The Best to you.
    Liz & Buddy.

All things here that can be crossed are, in hopes everything works out for you and the sweet Pupster!!!

Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    All things here that can be crossed are, in hopes everything works out for you and the sweet Pupster!!!
    MOFF put it so well, I agree completely. Good luck to you and Cooper.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/