Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please keep Reece in your thoughts :(

Good luck at the appointment. I hope there is something that can be done for Reece. Good luck! Good thoughts and prayers on their way!

Good luck Reece!! You will be in my thoughts!!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Hope Reece's appointment is going well, Aly.

I'll pray and cross my fingers everything will work out.

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Thinking of you and hoping all is going your way

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

We're both back from our doctors now (with many prescriptions in tow!).

Lets see, where to begin. When we walked in, the doctor looked at his eye and said "That isn't good" He examined both eyes very thoroughly and basically confirmed what I suspected about his vision. He is completely blind in one eye and is only light responsive out of the other (just about as close to blind as possible). Thankfully, he doesn't think that he has glaucoma. The red eye is filled with blood from a hemorrhage that could have been caused by a multitude of things. He talked extensively about everything that it *could* be, but said he suspects the hemorrhage mostly likely happened as a result of the cataracts. To be on the safe side, Reece is going in (to his new vet where I work) for complete blood work. The eye doc put him on antibiotics, prednisone, and pred eye drops. Hopefully that will clear up his little hemorrhage. If so, and if his blood results are normal (which I think they will be), then I can schedule surgery for Reece's other eye. We initially weren't going to do this eye because the cataracts weren't as complete. And just in case something in the surgery messed up, at least it would be his bad eye we were operating on and not the one he could still sort of see out of. Now that he is completely blind in the bad eye though, and his cataracts are more complete in the other eye and he can't really see anyway, we're going to operate on that one. We're going for a re-check appointment in 2 weeks. I'll schedule his surgery at that time if everything else is okay.

Blaaaah... his ears are also pretty swollen right now from yeast infections. I'm going to get more of his medicated ointment when I take him for his bloodwork. Ohhh, the health problems of a Poodle

Reecie wants to tell everyone thanks for caring about him He was a fraidy cat at the doc, but he's doing okay. He's always very cooperative, but he will shake and moan a little while he's being poked and prodded. He kept trying to play with a Bichon that was in the waiting room. The doctor said he's in no pain at all, so there is one good thing. The doctor also said that maybe it is a blessing in disguise that we didn't do the surgery sooner in his bad eye... because this still could have happened and then we would have done the surgery for no reason.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

At least he's not in pain. That should make you rest easy. Did you like the Dr? Tell Reecie that Peej is on prednisone and pred drops too so hopefully he won't feel alone.

Hope the medicine helps Reece feel better. Good luck on his
    upcoming surgery. Reece is such a sweet doggie. A real cutie.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank gosh he's in no pain. What a good boy he is.
    Many hugs to you and him...

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm glad he's not in pain and even felt like playing. That shows a very good outlook. I think he'll be just fine.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Good to know he doesn't have glaucoma!

Hope the meds clear up his hemorrhage. We'll all be waiting to hear how the sweety does.

Mary

Thanks for the update, Aly. I'm also glad he is not in pain. I will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery.

Oh Aly I just saw this and read through the whole thread just now. My heart is broken that little Reecie is going through all of this. Here are some big (((HUGS))) for you both. I am glad Reece will be having a battery of blood tests. I work for an ophthalmologist and was wondering all through the thread if Reece might have undiagnosed diabetes and hence some form of diabetic retinopathy causing leaky blood vessels in his eyes. I am far from a doctor and really only type his dictation but have picked up on a lot of things over the years.

A friend of mine had cataract surgery for her dog and it was quite successful. I hope that will be the case with Reecie. Bella and Ripley send him lots of special 'poodle healing vibes.'

Aly, as you know, I had many, many problems with Bella's ears in the past, all of which began immediately after I started taking her to a professional groomer. Last October my vet did a complete ear flush (under general anesthesia) as he was also removing a cyst and cleaning her teeth. To this date there has been NO recurrence of any yeast!!!!! Of course I stopped taking her to the groomer as well because I believe that the source of the infection was that they were getting lots of water into her ears that she was unable to shake out. I would definitely recommend this as something you might try with Reece. I have been able to stick my nose entirely in her ears (a really funny sight!) and breath deeply and there is not a hint of an odor and they are bone dry!

I will keep little Reecie in my thoughts and you as well. Hang in there!!

Oh Aly thankyou fr updating us. Poor Reece, i am glad to hear he is not in any pain though. I will keep you in my thoughts {{Hugs}}.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

You and Reece will be in my thoughts! I'm so glad he's not in any pain.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Thanks for the advice, Pam. I will definately talk to my vet about the ears because something really has to be done. It has been a constant battle for 4 years now. I really hope his eye condition isn't from diabetes. I don't think it is though because he doesn't have any of the other symptoms (increased thirst, urination, etc). I *think* I would recognize the symptoms since I have diabetes myself, but maybe I did overlook something. I just can't wait to get his blood taken so I can find out if anything else is going on or not................. *nervous*
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya