Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo - so sad :(

Originally posted by lbaker
    Are you honestly saying that all of the thousands of people on life support systems on any given day around the world.. who's doctors and family's agree there is no chance of recovery. Who's heart, liver, eyes etc could be used to save someone elses life. All of the doctors and family members who heart breakingly agree upon the final act of respect.. they are murderers!?
    No! That's not what I am saying!
    She is breathing on her own. She can follow objects with her eyes. She has not been given an MRI to find the extent of her brain damage. She has not been given the benefit of any kind of therapy to see if she could improve.

Most families I know, order every possible test to find out if their loved ones have any chance of recovery. In this case, her parents wanted all the tests, and were willing to pay for them. Her husband refused!

Most families make sure their loved one is at least, brain dead before they give the ok to start harvesting their organs. A person who is brain dead, can not sit there and look around at you. A person has to be legally dead before organs can be taken. Terri is not legally dead.

You need to be very very sure before you end a life because you can not bring them back. There is just too many unsetteling things about this that I feel should be looked into.

No one deserves to be starved to death. If they decide she really can't be helped, at least give her a lethal injection and make it quick.

A living will would have been a great help. At least her family would know in their own minds, it was what she wanted. It would give them a measure of peace. That is out of the question for Terri now though. All they have is the word of her husband who possibly would like her out of his life.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Did she have a will? I was under the impression that her husband "said that she said" one time . . .

I'm still suspecious of the husband. Probably wouldn't be if I knew he had been supportive & loving for the past 10 years. But obviously he has quickly moved on.

Like I said before, he needs to rid himself of this guilt . . . just too bad that it means a loss of life.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

There is column in my local newspaper called Let It Out where
    various opinions & comments are made about news events. This
    comment appeared the other day & I must say it reflectes my feeling too.

" O K, federal government, get out of my bed, my kitchen, my
    house,my car,my marriage, my health care, my religion and
    especially my death bed. Try minding your own business, and I'll
    take care of mine"

This sudden flury of activity by congress & the white house is
    a very transparent ploy for political gain. They hope to profit from
    this family's tragedy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Dr. Kevorkian is my hero. No one has the right to tell me how to live or not live my life.

Like Lizbud said...

" O K, federal government, get out of my bed, my kitchen, my
    house,my car,my marriage, my health care, my religion and
    especially my death bed. Try minding your own business, and I'll
    take care of mine"

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Dr. Kevorkian is my hero. No one has the right to tell me how to live or not live my life.
    That's fine as long as you are able to decide for yourself what you want.
    But what if you never told any one your wishes? Or at least only told someone you thought loved you but might really have not?

I think I would be more at peace about this if her husband had not waited 8 YEARS before he first tried to have the tube removed. If her wishes were to die, why did HE WAIT SO LONG?
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

I'm doubly disgusted at Congress for jumping into this situation.

First of all, making political hay out of a personal tragedy is beyond contempt.

Second, why haven't we heard anything from Congress about the law in Texas that allows hospitals to remove patients from life support without the family's permission!

Last week, a Texas hospital removed the breathing tube from a six-month-old baby against his mother's wishes. Here's the story.

Has it reached the point where the government and large corporations that run hospitals pick and choose whose life is prolonged and whose isn't? And if that's the case, there's no hope for the poor and uninsured--life support is expensive, and corporations think only of profits.
    Last edited by Prairie Purrs; 03-22-2005 at 03:10 AM.

It's not easy to make the decision to pull someone off life support because you're always going to be thinking, "what if", but when doctors, the medical professionals, are telling you there is NO chance for recovery or quality of life, then you have to do what's in the best interest of the one on life support. It's selfish to do otherwise. The mother of that baby (Sun) admitted that she didn't get prenatal care, which IMO could be considered neglect and if she had she would have found out and been better prepared for the decision she would have had to make when the baby was born. Someone had to make the decision to end his suffering and the mother was too emotional to do the right thing.

It's like having pet put to sleep. You know it needs to be done even though you have that shimmer of hope they'll get better, but do you let them suffer or let them go?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

..and THAT, PC is the question at hand. Do you love them enough to let them go? doG knows I've been in that situation. That's why they have DNR as an option when someone checks into the hospital. DO NOT RESUSITATE. To suffer? A huge NO. so that part is a torment. We treat animals and even vile inmates with better compassion. THAT is the crime at this point in time by the damned politico's. In my most very, humble opinion. I will not comment any longer. I have too much respect for some PetTalkers here I adore and don't want to offend by getting into a pi$$ing contest over personal beliefs

Laurie, I agree that people should be able to die with dignity provided that they have signed a living will. In Terri's case there is only hearsay from someone with very questionable motives (i.e., the 'husband').. If she really wanted to die then her parents will owe her an apology in heaven. If she wanted to remain alive and that choice was taken from her then God help the people responsible for removing her feeding tube. They will answer to Him. Bottom line: we really don't know Terri's wishes and I would prefer to err on the side of life.

I agree with you, Pam...and therefore I did my living will yesterday.
    Downloaded it from the web, got 2 wtinesses and had it notorized and placed with my regular will..

I'm not going to get into this discussion, but it has been interesting to read all of your thoughts. Those of you who know me well will already know how I feel about it.

BUT........I'm listening to talk radio this morning as I work and they are talking with two attorneys about Living Wills right now. I would seek local counsel in your state regarding living wills because apparently the laws for these documents vary from state to state. These lawyers are licensed in South Carolina and are approaching it from that perspective, but they say the SC law and Florida law are not the same. So, make sure, when you prepare these documents for yourself, at least have them reviewed by a lawyer in your state to make sure that your wishes can be complied with.

Logan

Here's the question that all these effing lawyers, congress folks, senators and everyone else should ask THEMSELVES..

IF for some god forsaken reason, they should suddenly lose all ability to care for themselves, would they consider spending the next 12 years, bedridden, in a hospice somewhere..

Therein the answer lies.

Counting the holes in the ceiling tiles is not quality of life.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by Pam
    This "husband" has been that in name only. His heart and life is obviously with his other family. The people who love and care about her are her parents and I simply cannot understand why he doesn't turn things over to them and let them take her home and care for her as they want to so much.....
    Nice to "see" you Pam!
    **hugs**

I agree with you about the husband. He was given an "out" when they asked him why he doesn't just divorce her and let the parents take care of it. If he wants to move on with his life and new family, I don't understand why he doesn't divorce her instead of keeping a "mistress" for all of these years.

It sure seems like some background investigation should be taken, especially if there are questionable circumstances.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. On one hand, if there is absolutely no quality of life at all, what's the point of dragging it out? Like others have said, we help our animals along when there's no quality of life. If in fact, her brain has atrophied and there is no chance at all for recovery...then it's not right to keep this person alive, especially if they aren't even aware of being alive. I could see why helping her along to heaven would be a better choice. After all, people are allowed to "kill" unborn babies who might have otherwise been healthy normal people...so why not help someone who has been suffering in a vegetative state for 15 years finally have some peace??!!

On the other hand, if she seems like she's aware of what's happening, then removing the feeding tube and having her starve to death seems really cruel to me.

I think having a living will would be the best option for any case like this when there is a lot of grey area.

This is all so upsetting to me... ! I think I mostly agree with Gracie's mom: I can NOT accept the way they want to let her die. Starve to death is a punishment and it is so cruel!!. Is THAT what this poor woman deserves?? .
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

On Fox news this morning they interviewed a nurse that took care of Terri from 1995 to Aug. of 1996. She said Terri could speak and make her wishes known at that time. She was also able to eat thickened foods.

When Terri's husband found out she could eat, he stopped it and insisted on a feeding tube.

The nurse also said she caught Terri's husband giving Terri insulin. That would put her in a coma like state. She also found needle marks under Terri's breasts and arms.

She said he would come in and ask them if the b.... was dead yet. It's her opinion he was trying to kill Terri.

The nurse told her supervisors and the police. They did nothing but fire her. That's just what she said but I think this all needs looking into, especially since this is the second nurse to state things like this.

Terri's husband refused to come on the show and challenge the nurses claims.

A doctor that treats Terri said she has not even been tested to see if she can swallow on her own for years but she could, at one time do it.

If Terri is really beyond help, well that's one thing. Of course you don't want them to suffer.

But there are just two many questions, I feel. I'm not the one making the choices though nor, am I the one who will have to live with what ever is decided. But do they HAVE TO STARVE HER TO DEATH?
    I still say, a lethal injection would be more humane.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie