Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blue Merle Pomeranians

I interpreted that as she wont get dogs from the shelter to KEEP, but to rehome. that is how I interpreted it anyhow. jorden?
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Yes I rescue and rehome sometimes, but most of the time I keep the animals. I can't help it. It just sounded as if they were being adopted, but if you are truly doing good for these animals then that's great. It just sounded a bit odd, understand? Can you report the shelter or something?
    I know how you feel, I bet I'll probably keep them all lol. No problems.

Cali is right, you misinterpreted me Kay. I said I would adopt ANIMALS and rehome them, not just cats and rats. Animals means dogs, rabbits, rodents, etc. I said that I would adopt a cat and some rats for myself to keep.
    I've been BOO'd!

What makes a shelter dog any different than a shelter cat or rat?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Can you report the shelter or something?
    Oops, I missed this. Back in January there was a big explosion of controversy when everyone found out that the shelter had bred the dogs that they had "rescued" from a place in Beaverdell. After the puppies were born, they put down all 47 dogs anbd sold the puppies. Most of the volunteers quit and the public was involved and everybody was angry, but nothing happened to the spca. The spca made some lame excuse that all of the dogs were vicious, but it wasn't true. I have a site somewhere...Let me find it...
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 12-11-2003 at 03:27 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by Kfamr

What makes a shelter dog any different than a shelter cat or rat?
    If you want to pm me, maybe I'll tell you as I know how insensitive people here can be about chronic problems and I wouldn't want to be made fun of.
    I've been BOO'd!

I'm sure many are thinking the same thing.

Ya, they're very insensitive.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

What?

Cass, here is the site if you want to read about what happened with the spca here. You have to read through all the replies to get the whole story though lol. It starts from when they killed 10 of the dogs to the end where they killed them all. http://www.animaladvocates.com/cgi-b...ames/read/2030
    I've been BOO'd!

I am very confused about this post now lol. I would adopt a dog from a shelter if its personality was attracting to me. I would rather personally adopt a dog that is shy and scared them a dog that is hyper and jumps all over you. JMHO. But in most cases the puppies and dogs at the local shelters are all jumpy and hyper *here anyways*, and i much rather adopt from a breeder just so I can research the breed befor hand and know what i am getting into. I might one day goto a siberian husky rescue and adopt a male sibe, but I dought it considering there are no rescues for sibes around here. I will probably buy a shiba inu from a breeder in arm strong, i have been researching on them for a while now, they seem like good breeders. I would personally love to meet a merle pomeranian one day!!! that would be soo cool .. They look sooo nice

If I ever get a cat, it will be from a shelter, I'm going to get rats from a shelter...etc. However, most of the animals I get from shelters I'll be rehoming.
    If i ever get a cat ot will be from a shelter because i wouldent buy a cat from a breeder, considering i have never herd of a cat breeder around here lol. I would adopt rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, and any rodent from a shelter IF i know i had the time for them. But I would have to really be sure about adopting a dog from a shelter befor i did, i would want to know as much about its past as possible, i would also want to research on the different breeds that might be in the dog i want to adopt. Inless it is pure bred. I would also want to make sure it was healthy, happy, and good with other animals.
    just my two cents
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I might one day goto a siberian husky rescue and adopt a male sibe, but I dought it considering there are no rescues for sibes around here.

Siberian husky and mixes rescue listings.....

Also, I don't know how close this is to you, but there is a sibe rescue in Surrey BC

*Thanks Ashley*

Incidentally I don't think there is anything wrong with going to a responsible breeder for a dog. While there is never any guarantee for a genetically sound dog, your chances of getting one are higher with an ethical breeder who tests their dogs before breeding. And as for the issue of bonding?? I'm sorry but I'm terribly bonded to both of my dogs, and they are to me. Both were bought from breeders.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking a chance with a rescue. They make great dogs.

For the price issue, well ethical breeders spend a lot of money on genetic tests, as well as on showing their dogs to make sure they are the best examples of the breed, as well as on vet bills for the pups, getting the pups tatooed or microchipped, registering the pups etc. Good breeders just don't make money in the long run. Would I pay $1000 for a dog? It depends. My next dog will be a whippet, and yes it will be from a breeder. I want to show my dog in conformation, trial it in obedience, and maybe give lure coursing a go. I want as sound of a dog as I can get so that I can actively participate in these activities.

And that being said....I've always said that the first dog I get when I move out will be a senior dog from the SPCA. Those old ones pull at my heart.

*Thanks Ashley*

There's plenty of good dogs, if not better, in the shelter for as low as $15, plus you save a life and a soul.

I'm not here to criticize or judge, and I don't have anything against responsible breeders, but I find it hurtful that you would not get a dog from a shelter, ever. And the other animals you get from the shelter, you'll rehome? You can get purebred puppies from shelters too, not just breeders.

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I've worn myself ragged over the years devoting myself to the shelters and rescue groups here. I've had relationships suffer, school grades suffer, and my health suffer due to how hard I'm trying to get these poor homeless animals into homes. Its just disheartening to keep hearing about people letting their animals have babies, etc etc etc. Blah, I'm going way off topic now.

I agree with both of these posts.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

thanks for the link shelteez!!! so many great looking dogs!! they all look so lovable!!!. i shall do alot of research at local shelters looking for a husky in need befor i buy a shiba from a breeder .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

For the price issue, well ethical breeders spend a lot of money on genetic tests, as well as on showing their dogs to make sure they are the best examples of the breed, as well as on vet bills for the pups, getting the pups tatooed or microchipped, registering the pups etc
    good points I did not take into account showing because I have border collies, and if a breeder showed a border collie I would not even associate with them. period. also out breeder does take them to the vet of coarse but shots are the new owners choice, as is registry, etc..
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    thanks for the link shelteez!!! so many great looking dogs!! they all look so lovable!!!. i shall do alot of research at local shelters looking for a husky in need befor i buy a shiba from a breeder .
    Ok and something else to think about:
    Shiba rescue

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by cali
    good points I did not take into account showing because I have border collies, and if a breeder showed a border collie I would not even associate with them. period. also out breeder does take them to the vet of coarse but shots are the new owners choice, as is registry, etc..
    What if the breeder that showed them also had herding, agility and obedience titles on them?

*Thanks Ashley*