Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: favorite......

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Baklova is a Romanian pastry is it not? I am part Romanian and I have always thought it was a Romanian pastry. I love it!
    Actually, Baclava is Turkish. This is due to the long Oriental influence in the area. Greece and Romania have such a long common history too, that most of the dishes are the same. We also have these grape leaves stuffed with rice and vegetables and minced meet that we consider truly Romanian, in Greece they consider them truly Greek. Romania and Greece are mainly Orthodox Christian and that's why they had so much history together.

Luckies4me, you're partly Romanian? I am Romanian too

Originally posted by Vio&Juni
    Actually, Baclava is Turkish. This is due to the long Oriental influence in the area. Greece and Romania have such a long common history too, that most of the dishes are the same. We also have these grape leaves stuffed with rice and vegetables and minced meet that we consider truly Romanian, in Greece they consider them truly Greek. Romania and Greece are mainly Orthodox Christian and that's why they had so much history together.

Luckies4me, you're partly Romanian? I am Romanian too

That is SO funny, because here in the Middle East, both Baclava and stuffed vine leaves are considered "local" delicacies!!! I don't mind WHO invented Baclava - I'm just glad someone did!!

We don't have Thanksgiving in South Africa, although I have had traditional Thanksgiving dinner once - we went on a cruise around the Bahamas and it was over Thanksgiving so we had the whole spread!!! It was GREAT (PLUS no food to prepare and no dishes to wash)!

In South Africa our big holiday is Christmas. Some people do the whole "turkey" thing - we tend to just have a huge BBQ next to the pool with all the family together - it's great!

Whilst we are talking about food - has anyone got a good recipe for KEY LIME PIE???

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP

I just wanted to add that one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the smell in general of all the food mixing together!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

i love food/recipes, so chose to read this thread while i keep johannas tex and georgia company this morning......although i loved the comments re all the foods....it is 9 a.m. and i am starving.......even tho i have already had breakfast........all that wonderful food!!!!!!!

My favorite has always been my mom's famous fruit salad. No holiday is complete without it

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I like, TURKEY!!! and my moms stuffing!! Yum Yum!!! corn on the cob too!!!

Many people may think it's weird, but my mom always made saurkraut as a side dish with the turkey (maybe her German influence) but in the last few years I've skipped it. Not this year though, Jenny loves saurkraut and she & I will have it with my special turkey gravy (it's good on leftover turkey sandwiches too ) REALLY. My kids always insisted I make my special sweet potato souffle cassarole with brown sugar, raisens, pecans & whipped egg whites and of course the little marshmallows browned on the top - an old southern fav I think. The best part of the Thanksgiving dinner? THE LEFTOVERS

The brown rice and steamed vegetables?

Just kidding...

Thanksgiving is a world of nostalgia. My mom was a Home Economics teacher, so our family of 6 grew up trying out every kind of recipe imaginable...

I love the cranberry sauce! And hot crescent rolls!
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-16-2003 at 10:11 AM.