Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new boy ... Alfie.

Hello, I just looked at the additional photos and the video. What a cute dog! Looks like everybody is comfy in the pics.

Barking comes along with the breed. I try to curb Prue's barking and how I manage it varies from day to day. Prue has finally become used to the neighbors and if I spy them first, I announce that there is to be NO BARKS. Taking treats along with you might help. You may want to have the neighbor give Alfie a treat when they next meet. I also yank on Prue's leash when she starts barking in an out of control fashion. It drives me nuts, but think of the protection he's giving you. Maybe give Alfie a treat if he shuts up. Treats do wonders for some dogs.

Glad the little guy tolerated his bath. He looks happy now. Sorry about peeing on the bed! I hope it was just an accident. Was it Bob's bed? Maybe there is still a little scent left?

Well, I am glad he is keeping you company. I bet he will really bond with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Barking comes along with the breed. I try to curb Prue's barking and how I manage it varies from day to day. Prue has finally become used to the neighbors and if I spy them first, I announce that there is to be NO BARKS. Taking treats along with you might help. You may want to have the neighbor give Alfie a treat when they next meet. I also yank on Prue's leash when she starts barking in an out of control fashion. It drives me nuts, but think of the protection he's giving you. Maybe give Alfie a treat if he shuts up. Treats do wonders for some dogs.
    I throw this out there for whatever anyone might find it is worth. Which might be nothing, LOL! When Jasper barks, I no longer 'shush' him. I thank him for whatever reason he is doing it for. Usually to announce a guest to the home, or an intruder (mail person, person in front of the house). I have found that be recognizing that he is doing his 'job', he barks a lot less than if I direct him to stop. He seemed to feel that tension in my voice and position in 'hushing' him up.

Jasper will low bark as someone walks on the porch, and it goes to a straight bark when they get to the door. I immediately go to him, pet him and say, "thank you for letting me know someone is here, I have it now", calmly and in an appreciative tone. He stops. He doesn't bark much when we are out walking, but does the whimper/whine to get closer, and I do the same thing. "I see that cute doggy, thank you fo letting me know..." and we keep on walking. I really believe, with Jasper, it works.

I will admit he is a low barker in general.

Chris, Alfie looks so wonderfully sweet. I am so happy for you, and for Alfie, that you can help give each other a new life. Alfie is one very fortunate pup. I know you still miss Bob terribly. In some ways it must hit you anew as Alfie begins making this his new home. I wish you both the best and I know Bob must be wagging that ever-wagging tail of his to see you smile again.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks kaycg.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

Glad the little guy tolerated his bath. He looks happy now. Sorry about peeing on the bed! I hope it was just an accident. Was it Bob's bed? Maybe there is still a little scent left?

Well, I am glad he is keeping you company. I bet he will really bond with you.
    Thanks sas.
    When he was fostered he would go out for a walk along with a number of other dogs so I think it must be a bit confusing for him at the moment. Today the only other dogs about were in the distance and yesterday we only met one dog, a Springer no less. He wasn't on a leash and bounded up to Alfie and in a matter of seconds had sniffed and licked and bounded off again. Alfie whine/barked cos he'd gone but I blocked his view and gently made him focus on me. By the time we moved off again a minute or so later the Springer was long gone out of sight and all was calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I throw this out there for whatever anyone might find it is worth. Which might be nothing, LOL! When Jasper barks, I no longer 'shush' him. I thank him for whatever reason he is doing it for. Usually to announce a guest to the home, or an intruder (mail person, person in front of the house). I have found that be recognizing that he is doing his 'job', he barks a lot less than if I direct him to stop. He seemed to feel that tension in my voice and position in 'hushing' him up.

Jasper will low bark as someone walks on the porch, and it goes to a straight bark when they get to the door. I immediately go to him, pet him and say, "thank you for letting me know someone is here, I have it now", calmly and in an appreciative tone. He stops. He doesn't bark much when we are out walking, but does the whimper/whine to get closer, and I do the same thing. "I see that cute doggy, thank you fo letting me know..." and we keep on walking. I really believe, with Jasper, it works.

Thanks Johanna, it's good advice.
    I've recently been watching 'The Dog Listener' Jan Fennell's video and begun re-reading her book and her advice is very similar to yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by K9soul View Post
    Chris, Alfie looks so wonderfully sweet. I am so happy for you, and for Alfie, that you can help give each other a new life. Alfie is one very fortunate pup. I know you still miss Bob terribly. In some ways it must hit you anew as Alfie begins making this his new home. I wish you both the best and I know Bob must be wagging that ever-wagging tail of his to see you smile again.
    Thanks Jess.
    You are so right, the loss of Bobby does hit me anew at times, mostly due to Alfie's different ways. Bobby barked at the doorbell and got agitated when the phone rang, Alfie doesn't, Bobby pulled on the lead and ignored other dogs, Alfie is the opposite ... I do, I still miss my Bobby boy very much.

Chris, I am posting congratulations to you from K9 Karen, she was so sad for you when I told her about Bobby, and now she's thrilled for you and Alfie both!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh what a sweetie!!!! I just watched the video and i loved it!!!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Alfie is adorable!!
    The pictures of Ebby on the couch looks like Ebby is pretty relaxed with Alfie right there. That is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post

This is exactly what I do with Taggart (he is also a low barker). I try to do it with Zoee, but she is such a loud (and constant) barker it is a little more difficult. But I do not do what my BF does, which is immediately YELL when she starts barking. I get off my rear and go see why she is barking. And usually when I get up she'll stop barking....unless someone is outside. Which I think is GREAT!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

he is adorable! looking forward to hearing stories of him and Ebony! )
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Helloooooo Alfie!!
    Boy do you have a cutie pie face!!!!

Be nice to Ebby, it might get you on the couch more

Congrats again Chris. You needed him ..... (hugs)
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Thanks Michelle.

How's the new boy doing?

Chris, is this new fella behaving himself? I surely hope so. It usually takes a while for the new patterns to set in but I am sure he will be a quick learner.

Let us know! And more pictures would be fun for us!

Yes, sas, thanks for asking, he's been behaving pretty good, especially as I've been quite ill for a couple of weeks so no walks and training has been reduced to practically zero. He's been a lovely cuddle companion though.

One thing I found a bit disquieting today, I was brushing him and he snapped when I brushed his nether region. I wondered if it was because the wire toothed brush I was using caught at his skin, or perhaps he's still touchy where he's been neutered. I hope to work out what it's all about before he goes to be groomed professionally so I can at least warn her if it is not a one off.

Something I have to get around to pretty soon is to take him to be checked out by my vet. He seems ok and of course he was fully checked out by the rescue vet but he seems a bit underweight to me and I would like to know if he is or not for sure.

i'm partial to shih tzus as one of my favorite small breeds.. they are so goofy n cuddly!! they look like lil old men haha but they act as if they are only children.. Welcome to the new addition Alfie! Sometimes my moms shih tzu snaps at the groomer when he gets his feet pads shaved, you probably just nipped a mat and pulled the skin, shih tzus can be wimpy when it comes to grooming
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thanks.

We had a dusting of snow on Sunday which I think Alfie kind of liked. (Warning, noisy)