Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So You Think ... SYTYCD 2011

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I agree with who went home, although I'm still not a fan of Ryan's. With that being said, her routine with Ricky was my second favorite last night. I really don't like the whole couples thing, I'd like to see it done like last season. I could really focus on the individual dancers, not the pairings.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

After next week they will be dancing with returning contestants from prior seasons. So that should be good.

I feel like they are purposely (sp?) sending home couples that are paired together. I was actually wanting to see Ricky go home tonight. I thought all three guys did good on their solo dances....Ricky being my least favorite routine of the three. For the girls I only liked Jordan's routine. Ryan looked like she was just throwing herself all around the stage.

I enjoyed seeing the background on the contestants. I didn't realize Ashley is from Antioch.....only about 20 minutes from me. And Ryan is from Morgan Hill, also close to me. That was cool.

Oh, and I made a mistake earlier (I think I posted it here) that Melanie was married. Oops! Don't know where I got that.

Melanie and Marko are my favorite couple with Jordan and Tadd coming in next.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post

Oh, and I made a mistake earlier (I think I posted it here) that Melanie was married. Oops! Don't know where I got that.

Melanie and Marko are my favorite couple with Jordan and Tadd coming in next.
    It's because when they did their 8 second "get to know me" thing near the beginning, she said she was married. I caught that last night, too, when she said "boyfriend." Interesting.

Melanie and Marko are my favorites, with Jordan and Tadd being my next choice. BUT . . . Melanie is my favorite girl, with Caitlynn in second.

I really liked all the guy's solos last night, and all the girls (Ryan's was my least favorite - although performed well, I thought it was too abstract for a solo). I think Chris was the right guy to send home, but again, I think paired up with a different partner, he'd have done better. I never felt a connection with him and Ashley.

I'm excited to see the pros come back, although now I don't want to see Melanie and Marko split up (which is another reason I don't like coupling contestants, I get too attached). Ah well.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I do agree with who went home last night, but like someone said earlier, they seem to be sending them home in couples this year. I've always found it interesting to see how the dynamics change when they send home the weaker partners of certain pairings and match up the partners who are left. It doesn't look like we will see that this year.

That said, I like this combination of the original format and the all-star format from last season so far. I'm curious to see which all-stars they bring back this season.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    It's because when they did their 8 second "get to know me" thing near the beginning, she said she was married. I caught that last night, too, when she said "boyfriend." Interesting.
    Thank you!! So I wasn't hearing things. Whew!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I like Jordon as well, but I'm bored with her solos. How many times can you stick your leg up in the air in one routine? I'm assuming that's what Nigel cautioned her about last night but he used a dance term that I'm not familiar with.

Ok, so we all know I am far from a professional on dancing. But last night I actually liked both of Ryan and Ricky's dances. LOL And the judges hated them. Of course, I would not be sad in the least if either of them went home tonight.

It was nice to see the guest judge give some honest criticism, but he still said he LOVED everyone and everyone was his favorite. But I think he is hilarious anyway!

I liked Clarice and Jess's hip hop dance, Jordan and Tadd's "vulture" dance and of course Melanie and Marko's "moth" dance.

Another favorite girl of mine is Sasha. She was great with the mess up at the end of the second dance. I almost didn't realize it was a mistake.

See, I did not like Clarice and Jess' hip hop - he just couldn't do some of the "hip hop" moves well enough, the whole grabbing the foot and hopping over it looked like it was a kid trying it for the first time. I also think that every time he actually has to lift his partner, you can see him mentally brace himself, accomplish it, then do back to dancing. That's just not pleasant to see. That and his open mouth while dancing far too much.

I actually thought Clarice did very well in their other dance, better than Jess markedly. I did actually like Ryan in one dance, for the first time, but I thought their whole Broadway number was pretty lackluster.

I like Sasha, I hope one of the choreographers gives her something more delicate and flowing next week, they all seem to be thinking "strong girl, give her a "fierce" part" which is getting a bit repetitive. I liked the vulture number and thought they both did well with it ...

It will be interesting to see who is in the bottom three tonight, I don't know after this, but it was nice to see the judges give actual critiques for the most part this week.
    I've Been Frosted

I wasn't able to watch the dances last night but I'm looking forward to the group numbers and results tonight.

Yeah last nights show was much improved from the previous week. I actually enjoyed Ryan in the first number they did but the second one she looked so heavy on the stage... like she was clomping around like an elephant. She didn't look graceful or light on her feet at all and that was really distracting.

what bummer news about Alex Wong tonight That guy can't catch a break. He's so incredibly talented and to suffer not only ONE lacerated Achilles but to then suffer ANOTHER one?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I really liked Melanie and Marko's contemporary and I didn't dislike any particular dance, although none of them really stood out. I'm glad to see Ryan go home, she did look terrible standing on stage, in the bottom three, and I didn't like her solo at all. There's just something about her that really rubs me the wrong way. I could have seen any of the three guys go or stay, although Ricky is becoming my favorite of those three.

I thought Nicole S's performance stunk, but I'm not a fan of hers to begin with. I've only ever enjoyed her when she was Derek Hough's partner on Dancing with the Stars.

I'm underwhelmed by the line up of all stars, only because I was hoping to see Lauren and Alex, I guess. What a terrible turn of events for Alex!

I was glad to see Ryan go home, of course, as she just doesn't seem up to par with the other dancers in terms of skill or performance. I was a little surprised to see Alexander go home, after he finally did a good job this week, and I thought his solo was great, but I know nothing about the technical aspects of dance, so cannot be too mad at that!

And I did check the Emmy nominations yesterday as soon as I got up. and was pleased Cat Deeley finally got the nod. She just seems genuinely nice and like she honestly cares about the dancers. Then I looked through the choreography nominations and was surprised to see so many from this show, but that's nice for them.

I listened to a few seconds of Nicole S's performance, and then skipped over the rest of it. Loved the tap dancers, though!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    what bummer news about Alex Wong tonight That guy can't catch a break. He's so incredibly talented and to suffer not only ONE lacerated Achilles but to then suffer ANOTHER one?
    I don't watch it regularly, but my mom and my sister do. I landed on it last night when I was flipping channels. I thought Alex was, by far, the best of the three men. I thought Nigel Lythgoe was being hyper-critical when he commented on Alex's flexed knee on the pirouettes. There were no comments that pointed about either of the other two men. I'm sorry he was eliminated but I can picture him as part of a professional company. Come to Chicago and dance with the Joffrey, Alex!

I'd love to have the Bobby McFerrin song "Thinkin About Your Body" that Sascha used as part of an aerobics class! And I love the Queen song "Body Language" that one of the men used.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I meant Alex Wong from last season. he was a clear front runner and then his achilles tendon basically snapped. he just came back from that injury and was supposed to be an all star this season but alas he has now done the same to his other achilles tendon

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Like my mom said, this year the choreographers are not that good. So the dances have not been that great.

I thought Ricky's solo was AMAZING!!! Mitchell should have gone home, IMO, based on their solo's.

I hope the routines get better with the all-stars in them. But I'm not overly excited about any of them either. I do like Robert a lot. And I was so sad and shocked to hear about Alex.........again! One of the dances nominated for an Emmy (the Twitch and Alex hip-hop that Ellen stood in for Alex on) is one of my all-time favorite dances.

While Cat does annoy me sometimes, she is very comfortable on stage and that makes for a great host.