Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book of the Month Club Members and "Rules"

You aren't the only one, Audrey. I was also thinking that there were too many threads for this and wasn't for sure which one to respond in. Its all new though and I'm sure Kari will get all the kinks figured out.

I went to the library and our two tiny bookstores and couldn't find the book anywhere. We are in desperate need of a decent book store. Oh how I would love to have a Barnes and Noble here. I have the book on reserve at the library so hopefully I will get it soon. I can't wait to start reading it!!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee
    You aren't the only one, Audrey. I was also thinking that there were too many threads for this and wasn't for sure which one to respond in. Its all new though and I'm sure Kari will get all the kinks figured out.

Yeah, I'm working on it. But, as far as all the threads, I condensed everything into the sticky thread. There's the thread that I initially asked the question about the book club, which is basically just a regular thread, now. I was thinking I should have it closed, anyway. I wanted the poll opened to get ideas about the structure for this month, and, that will hopefully be closed soon. So, I guess we shouldn't have a thread for each particular book at all? We should put the book and discussion of it in this thread? Is that what you guys would prefer? I thought it would be good to have the main thread with the members and rules (with updated links to the monthly book thread) and then have a thread for each book/month. But, we can put everything in here if that's what y'all would prefer. And, I'll ask Karen to close the October book thread as well.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

No, I think we need a seperate thread for the discussion! It would be way to confusing if it was all crammed in this one

Are we doing discussions eat week this month? When will our first discussion be?

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    No, I think we need a seperate thread for the discussion! It would be way to confusing if it was all crammed in this one

Are we doing discussions eat week this month? When will our first discussion be?
    I thought it would be kind of crammed and weird if all the discussions were in one thread, too...but, I think basically it was just the threads I had opened to begin with, which if they aren't closed yet...will be soon. At least the one where I first posed the question. And, I think starting next month, we'll do weekly discussions. I keep going back and forth for this month and getting really split opinions on how we should do October. But, I know some haven't even gotten their book, yet, so, I kinda want to go with what Karen suggested, and, just sorta let this month be more freeform, as we all knew it would probably be a little screwy. Next month we can really get this right, but, I'm trying not to feel badly that this month is so ludacrous. I hope you guys aren't totally tired of all the back and forth yet, as it's just for fun anyway...I will let y'all know more for sure tomorrow, when I get the chance to talk to a couple of people a little bit more about it. Thanks for being so patient with the new book club. And, me.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I though the poll had already decided that we were doing it week by week?

This is getting much more confusing than it should be

I though the poll had already decided that we were doing it week by week?

This is getting much more confusing than it should be
    Tell me about it. I'm getting a lot of differing opinions about it, and, they are not matching up at all with what the poll said. Like I said, I'm thinking about it. It just may not be feasible to do it week to week this month, as some people haven't even gotten the book yet. And, while I know I can't do this based on people's schedules, I am realizing that there just may not be much structure this month. It's nothing to fret over, next month will be fine and dandy. But, this month is bound to be screwy. Karen and I talked about it some today, and, I'm just trying to decide what the best way to muddle through this month would be. She had a lot of valid points, as far as this month goes...and, I've even told Almita (who's choosing the book for November) that we may need to get the new book chosen by about the fifteenth of this month...so that people will have plenty of time to get the book. Anyway, I'm going to bed! This will all work out, there's no need for you to be confused. This month is just totally haywire, no biggie. We all just got so stoked about it, and, it just may not work out to do week to week this month. It hasn't been decided yet, though, for sure. Anywho...til tomorrow!

I know I shouldn't say anything since I'm not even participating but if I were, I would like to read one week and then have a week or maybe less, depending on the discussion, of how everyone was enjoying the book. Sorry for giving you another option. But, then I guess it couldn't be called book of the month. You can't please everyone so you're just going to have to go with what you think is best. The most important thing is to have fun!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    The most important thing is to have fun!
    Exactly, I hope we can keep that in mind. I don't want this to turn ugly, just because this month is screwy. It's not indicative of the book club, that's for sure. We're going to do things very differently for November and the rest of the months. It's just with this one, I'm almost tempted to go with what Karen and I talked about...just kinda going with it this month, talking about the book at the end of the month, and, starting fresh and with structure next month. Hopefully, we'll have the book for November chosen by mid month, and, we won't run into the problem of folks not even having the book. I know the polls say that more folks would rather do the weekly discussion, but, most of the reasons I got were against that...I just kinda wonder how many people not participating voted on it? Anyway...we'll get it figured out, I'm not worried about it. I wish you'd join and get the book on tape, though! Maybe next month...! Ok, now, I'm really going back to sleep...

Please remove me from this months book. The book is taken out of the library and there is a waiting list (I would be number 2). But even at #2, I wouldn't be able to read it in time.

Thank you.

elizabeth

aka elizabethann

Kari, I think this is a wonderful idea! Will you "add" me, please? I've got a $25 gift certificate to Books A Million in my wallet and the day off, so I think I'll go get that book right away. I read and cried through "The Pilot's Wife", so I'm sure this one will be good too.

Thanks for doing this!

Logan

May I make a suggestion?

Have a Discussion thread for each month, and start it whenever and allow people to participate at thier leasure. Post the book at the begining of the discussion thread as well as in this one so it's easy to find. Also put a link to the current months discussion on this thread.

That way the discussions are seperate, but easy to find because they're linked on this sticky thread. Plus if anyone wants to re-read the discussions on any particular month, they can.

Just something I thought would help. . And you don't need to apologise for this month being screwy...you're doing so much already! Just orginizing this is an acomplishment.

So has the final decision been made to do the discussion at the end of this month?

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Please remove me from this months book. The book is taken out of the library and there is a waiting list (I would be number 2). But even at #2, I wouldn't be able to read it in time.

Thank you.

elizabeth

aka elizabethann
    Oh, I'm so sorry! That stinks...I hope you'll be able to participate for November, though...Keep an eye on this thread, as we hope to have November's book chosen by the fifteenth!

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36
    May I make a suggestion?

Have a Discussion thread for each month, and start it whenever and allow people to participate at thier leasure. Post the book at the begining of the discussion thread as well as in this one so it's easy to find. Also put a link to the current months discussion on this thread.

Well, most of that, I'd already kinda thought about. And, of course you may make a suggestion, I need the help! Isn't it obvious? But, yeah, I was thinking it would be best to have each month the way we did October, at least as far as keeping a separate thread for the book and it's discussion. If you'll notice, I did that for October. Whew, I did something right (I hope!)! But, as far as discussing at your leisure, I don't know about that, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone...I mean, it's one thing if you don't finish either the chapters in time or the book in time...but, if someone skates through it one night and puts all their thoughts in the thread the day the thread is posted, that would be disappointing to others. I think for October, we may just have to sortof go with it. It will be a bit screwy, and, may be annoying. But, for next month and the following months, we'll just have a structure of reading certain chapters and opening the discussion for those particular chapters on a certain day. But, I totally agree with you on having a separate thread for each book and it's discussions and having a link there to this thread and a link here to that thread. Ha ha, did that all make sense?!

So has the final decision been made to do the discussion at the end of this month?

Yeah, I think that would be best. I'm so sorry I've been going back and forth with October. I hope y'all will continue to be patient and let me know how you feel about all this. I know I can't please everyone, but, it's important to me to hear different points of view. That's why, even though I had the poll up, the reasons I was getting from different people were mostly leaning towards the one discussion at the end of the month, for this month at least. I know I haven't made the greatest first impression, but, I hope you guys will stick it out at least for November!