Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inside / Outside thread :)

Fister is now more a less an indoor cat, but he was born in our huge backyard where he lived the first year of his life. It took another year to get him to stay inside, but he did so more and more. During the 8 years we've had him, he's been out occasionally - he also loves to roll around in the dirt and grass, (after all it's HIS yard! ) and it's a joy watching him having such a good time. However, he wants to go out less and less and for very short periods of time.

As Carole says, it was amazing to hear how many cats in America are indoors only, but I can certainly understand why, with all the dangers there.

However, in my opinion, a cat is happiest with access to the outdoors, provided it's a safe environment with no cars, coyotes, etc.

I can see that Fister is very frustrated sometimes, when we won't let him out - unfortunately, he prefers to go out when it's getting dark.

We have a neutered male cat living in our yard, Pjevs. He was there when we moved in in 94 and my guess is, that he was at least 2 years old then. He's doing fine, gets his dinner every night and has a house behind the dustbin shed.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Tito and Sophie are stictly indoors, and that's because I live in an apartment complex by two super super busy roads. Not only would I be afraid they'd get run over, but how would they know which apartment door was mine? They all look alike! Plus with all those people around I get paranoid someone would steal by babies. That's why they're both getting microchipped the next time they go to the vet. Is anyone else paranoid that their cats will get stolen? Tito does have a harness and a leash, though, and occasionally on nice days we'll go outside and he'll lay in the sun. Most of the time he just looks kind of freaked out though, so I only do it once in a while when he's being particularly rambunctious. As for the "life expectancy," our cat when I was growing up was indoor/outdoor and lived to be 18. He died of old age - just wandered off into the woods one day and never came back - we found his body three days later. But anyway if I move to a place with a yard I'd like to let them outdoors if they want to be. Sophie was born outdoors but so far expresses no desire to go back out - no interest in looking out a window or our patio doors - unlike Tito who has a special window seat so he can watch all the birdies fly by and all the hoomans walking their doggies!

Last edited by lizzielou742; 06-04-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Originally posted by lizzielou742
    Is anyone else paranoid that their cats will get stolen?
    Paranoia?, ding, ding, ding - Catmama's ears are ringing. Lol, I'm paranoid about a lot of things, and this is one of them. We just moved from one apt. complex where the residents would let their kids look in our windows. I'm not talking casually here, I'm talking noses pressed up to the glass, tapping on the windows. I never knew quite what to say. I was always paranoid the kids would try to get the cats. Silly, maybe...but let's say a lot of the children that lived in that area were far from disciplined (quite the little juvenile delinquents) and their parents were even worse.

In our new place, it's a bit of a better neighborhood, so I'm not as worried. I leave the blinds up enough during the day so the guys can look out the window comfortably and it has crossed my mind that seing as we're not hopme from about 11-6 on weekdays, this might be an open invitation for a thief, yikes! Although I doubt it. Can't prevent every tragedy, you know. And I want them to be able to view the nature and birds outside, they do love it so. We shut the blinds at night.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Originally posted by lizzielou742
    Is anyone else paranoid that their cats will get stolen?
    Out where my parents live, cats are getting dumped rather than being picked up.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Originally posted by ramanth
    Out where my parents live, cats are getting dumped rather than being picked up.
    No one where I live picks up the cats either.....we have had 7 or 8 dumped in the last 3 weeks. Or at least I think it is 7 or 8...they are all black kitties or who knows I may actually be counting them twice

So here I go again leaving plates of food because they seem to frequent my yard. I swear there is a sign that says

"A NICE LADY LIVES HERE AND SHE LOVES KITTIES.....SHE GIVES LOVING AND FREE FOOD AND WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR EVERY NEED"

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

my boys are inside cats, i agree w/catsnclay that if they share your bed and indoors it is wise to limit exactly what they bring there.....the boys have a lovely screened porch with a lovely cat tree which they all dearly love. i think a screened outdoor run would be nice for them when i can be outdoors w/them. i keep many windows open for them to "sniff" at and can often find them there napping on a table/bench by the window.