Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving Dog Outside During Day

My dog is never allowed outside when nobody's home

I leave my 2-year-old GSD outside while my wife and I are at work/running errands. It is well shaded and good sized. She can run around to the back of the garage where there is a dog-door into the garage. Inside the garage is food and plenty of water. Also inside is a dog house that I have built that has two layers of standard house insulation built into the walls (actually much better than my house). She also has two pieces of lawn furniture that she lays in if the ground is wet/snow, but she doesn't feel like hanging out in the garage or her house. Even when we are home, Gracie will often choose the hang out in the yard so she can keep an eye on the neighborhood.

I really don't see how anyone could describe this as cruel!

it is not cruel at all , as long as the dog has shade,cover,water,toys etc it is fine

my big girl (clover) stays out during the day weather permitting , and we dont have any troubles with that , she has a kennel with a doggy mat inside, she has plenty of water and plenty of toys, and is never alone for long.

if we are going to be gone all day during the winter and colder months or when it is hot she is left indoors (large sunroom) where she sleeps when its not to cold (if its cold she sleeps in my room,usualy on my bed)

oh and the little dogs we CANNOT leave outside because they bark ALOT lol
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

No, if you provide proper shelter, warmth (or a cool place) fresh food and water, and the dog doesn't DETEST being outside alone for so long, I don't think it's cruel. (But not everyone has taken all of the measures you have).

The only thing i REALLY don't like about it all, is the chance like I said, of the dog being posioned, stolen, or used for target practice, and the many which escape from backyards to who knows what end every year.
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"

I have seen some people chain thier dogs up, leave food on the ground for them, etc. That is cruel. My neighborhood is sooo dog friendly, most everybody has a dog, that I feel very comfortable leaving Cinnamon outside. When we are home we leave the door from the garage to our house open and if she wants to come in she can, she chooses to stay outside most of the time, especially in the summer. If you provide plenty of clean water, food, and shelter for the animal, there is no problem.

Well, I am a too soft type person, and I have always worried about leaving my animals outside. I have a number of Dog Nannies I have been able to call on to baby sit............and have done so with all of my dogs that I have owned since the late '70s. My last cat died in '99, and I used to have them baby sat as well.

Tiffany comes to work with me. My daughter takes her whippet to work as well..........seems I trained my daughter to be too soft as well ! !
    Mich

My two are outside dogs but we live on a farm and there are no fence but there is so much area it would be to far for them to run away and get off the property. they don't usually leave the house. they are always outside.

I have seen some people chain thier dogs up, leave food on the ground for them, etc. That is cruel.

We have to do that for our other dog. he can't live inside and if he is outside he attacks the horses and will run away. we can't fence him in because he can jump 6 ft in the air.. so other than chaining him up what would you all suggest.

If you have to chain them, you do it. What I was talking about are those people who never socialize with their dogs, leave them chained outside all the time. In your case, it is understandable. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Have you tried to fence him in a enclosed kennel, I know that work sometimes, might not be the answer for you.

Originally posted by redruby

We have to do that for our other dog. he can't live inside and if he is outside he attacks the horses and will run away. we can't fence him in because he can jump 6 ft in the air.. so other than chaining him up what would you all suggest.
    Why can't he go inside? You can get dog runs with covers you know.