Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I might get a job at GoodYear, but I'm not sure.

While I agree that the military is a viable choice for getting an education it is not the only choice. I spent 6 years in the Navy and got some terrific training while in there that carried me over until i completed my education with the aid of tuition assistance (GI BILL) after discharge. There was a time that I was working full time going to school full time and managed to be a Scout leader on the side. My company was giving me tuition assistance in addition to what I was getting from the Navy. There are many large companies and I'm sure Good Year is one of them that gives tuition assistance to employees.

I believe some of you are putting undue pressure insisting that Genny must be in College or she will not get ahead. There are many many paths to a good education and it doesn't have to happen right now. There are also some very good paying careers that DO NOT require a College education. You need to check out the top paying jobs for the future and none of them require a degree. My son has a degree but is doing a job that he trained himself to do and it pays more than he can make with his degree. The medical field or computers/internet will be the best fields to consider in our new world.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes Cataholic - I'm a lot older than Genny. My oldest granddaughter is 21!

Of course I realize that things are different now than when my brothers and I were growing up, and it was a lot easier to get a good job way back when. My oldest brother worked in aerospace design for many years, and then in some other fields too, but I'm not certain which. He also holds a few patents for mechanical items he designed. Granted - neither of them would get a foot in the door today without a degree.

It just seems that Genny doesn't know what she wants to do in life, and that's what's holding her back from making a move. And maybe she just never liked school and doesn't want to continue on. I don't know - only she knows that. But I can't see her going to college when she keeps saying everything is "hard", and wants the easy way out. Those two things just aren't compatible.

I think a company that offers a college reimbursement program would be great for her, but unfortunately that's not offered by all companies. The company I retired from had it, and it was not even considered a big business since it only employed around 400 people. You paid for your courses upfront with the school of choice, and the company reimbursed that money upon completion with a passing grade. A lot of people took advantage of that program.

I just hope that Genny will make a move in the right direction. As I said before - the longer you wait, the more difficult it gets.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-18-2010 at 08:05 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I talked to one of my managers today (he's my favorite manager and we're pretty good friends) and I told him everything... I told him about me going to be working 9-2 mon-fri and he was really happy for me and was really cool about it and said that I should def. take this job at the pharmacy. I'm gonna go ahead and work the rest of this week at Chickfila since I'm already down on schedule, but I'll start my new job monday! My manager said for me not to say anything about this to anyone and he'd talk to our boss and then after he talks to her he said we both can talk with her and he said he'll try to smooth things out w/ her and get me where I can still work 2-3 nights at Chickfila... That's what I'd really like so I hope everything works out ;]
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*