Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd website with pet talk threads

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    It looks like we're not the only ones ...

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...t=58471&page=4

yes this is the other forum i was talking about above...theres are a ton of their threads aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    OK, I had a chat with a buddy of mine whos up with what Online Marketing and such is up to these days, and he gave me the low down on what this is -

What is it? Its a site designed to generate Google Adsense revenue. And yes, it happens all the time. Its basically that they steal a lot of information that people would generally search for, in hopes that they will click through the ads. Instead of actually making their own content, they steal it.

How to try to stop it? 2 ways:
    - Threatening to bring in lawyers often works.
    - As does threatening to report it as an MFA site (MFA = Made for Adsense).
    And complaining to Google is the only way to report an MFA site since it's their problem.

This might help them to lose the 'adsense' revenue if nothing else -- http://www.google.com/tm_complaint_afd.html
    Thank you for finding that out! Do you mind if I share this info with the other forum?

No problem, defintely go right ahead -- and maybe recommend that they do what Paul is doing (contacting Google etc.)

Hey....I just looked, there is a bunch of my posts on that site to.
    Who is doing this ??????
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    Hey....I just looked, there is a bunch of my posts on that site to.
    Who is doing this ??????
    Wom
    See Paul's post two above yours, Wombat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    ***Karen and I will pursue this with BlueHost.com.

***Blue Frog is right. This site is designed to generate advertising revenue. I imagine that even a small amount of money could be very valuable to someone in China. Google's advertising program, Adsense, may remove them. However, there are other advertising programs carelittle could join.

***Carelittle could leave BlueHost.com and find another web host. However, Carelittle is depending upon the search engines to bring in people to click on their ads. Carelittle's content should not be listed in the big three search engines, Google, Yahoo, and MSN (at least for US English).

***There is one thing we could do right now. We should not post any links to Carelittle.com. They should only be mentioned in plain text. Every ("good") link increases a website's value in the eyes of a search engine. So we should convert the Pet Talk links into plain text.

***Picking a phrase at random from carelittle's website, I searched for "his summer job cuz he's leaving in two days" (with quotes) on Google. Google only lists one result at carelittle.com! There is no result for Glacier's thread, "Another big day for Tehya...lots of pics" on Pet Talk!

***In may cases Google devalues duplicated content. However, without viewing Pet Talk as the original source for this thread, carelittle could be considered the original.

***carelittle needs to be removed from the search engines. Perhaps, Google's link, "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" at the bottom of the page will work. I just filled it out for this link. Hopefully if a lot of Pet Talkers complain to Google they will do something about it. I should look for other ways to contact Google.

***Pet Talk needs to be promoted. Please link to your threads on Pet Talk from other places whenever it is appropriate.

***MSN did not list this thread but I did not try other threads. Yahoo did list Pet Talk.

******Paul
    Paul, I changed mine in post #20 from e-mail address to plain text. In #24 dukedogsmom quoted mine, though and it stayed e-mail address. Can you or Karen please go in dukedogsmom's post, since you have administrative access to posts, and change it to plain text? You wouldn't have to change anything dukedogsmom wrote, just what I wrote - plus, you already explained the reason for the change, so please have at it.

Promote Pet Talk? Okay. Pet Talk, you are hereby promoted from a cool pet forum that I enjoy a lot -to- an EXTREMELY cool pet forum that I enjoy a TON EVERY DAY!!! Consider yourself duly promoted!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Who is doing this ??????

Since the statistics program is in Chinese and the contact email a domain name registered in China, it is probably someone in China. However, there is no way to be certain. It could easily be one teenager in China.

Paul

Does PT have copyright to any of our posts? (I keep thinking the answer is "no" but can't remember where I saw that...) It seems like that copyright would supercede the carelittle site.

Yes, I agree it's "weird" that the site is copying posts but I find it surprising that so many people are shocked. PT is a public forum, anyone can view it (and thus copy, alter, do-what-ever with the posts, poems, and pictures). I'm not saying it's right, don't get me wrong, I disagree with it whole heartedly, but it is public information so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat
    Does PT have copyright to any of our posts? (I keep thinking the answer is "no" but can't remember where I saw that...) It seems like that copyright would supercede the carelittle site.

Yes, I agree it's "weird" that the site is copying posts but I find it surprising that so many people are shocked. PT is a public forum, anyone can view it (and thus copy, alter, do-what-ever with the posts, poems, and pictures). I'm not saying it's right, don't get me wrong, I disagree with it whole heartedly, but it is public information so to speak.
    But are names for use by others ?????
    I noticed that the replies to all of my posts were unchanged on that site, such as Karens, Catty1's etc etc......all there plainly for anyone to read.
    Just a thought......
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

wow that really stinks! haha I'm putting your link on my other two forums I'm joined in :]

I love pettalk. :]
    I don't like the cheating one. :[
    They stink.
    Pettalk doesn't.

haha yeah.

;[
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    But are names for use by others ?????
    Wom
    Uhhh... *smacks gum, twirls hair* I'll play my blonde card here , I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. lol

I understand that anyone would feel violated. And again, I'm not saying it's right, but once it's out on the internet, it's more or less up for the taking... a bit of a russian roulette, if you will.

This isn't the first time we've run into this; there was someone (or someones)stealing pictures of a pet talk cat and posting on another board as if that cat belonged to them. Heck, there've been people stealing other peoples' pictures and posting on here as if that animal belonged to them. (Some people have WAY too much time on their hands!)

In some ways, it's a great testiment to the comradery of this site and the "secure" feeling we sometimes slip into. And, in some ways, it's a great wake up call/reminder that "they" are out there... *insert theme from The Twilight Zone*

Have fun but becareful everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat

I don't think they care one bit about copyright, especially as it is probably someone in China, not exactly known for international copyright enforcement. You'll notice that we have a copyright notice at the bottom of every single page, that apparently didn't bother them in the least!

Agreed, Karen.

Just curious as to why Blue Host would not consider this Copyright Infringement as this process listed in the Terms of Service seems less complicated than what they told Freedom.

Thanks for pointing out where the copyright on PT was located... I saw the vBulletin copyright and how I managed to see THAT and completely miss the nice, black text directly above it, is beyond me.

I think that I may have found another one of these sites.
    http://www.tendlife.com/other/pet-talk-0726.html

I found a couple of stolen threads there, too. Aarghhh! Another one to have to pursue!

That is just ridiculous! I still don't understand how it all could be legal. I'm afraid this will be an unending battle. Wonder if you could sue them since they used your web site name in the link?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06