Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hubby refuses to take his meds -- help!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    My doctor tried me on both Benicar and Diovan. I couldn't take them. They made me so dizzy I could hardly walk. Since I live by myself. I have to be able to function. Meds work differently on different people, I guess.
    Silly me.... it never occured to me that he might be experiencing side effects like dizziness. He DID complain it makes him pee more. It never, ever occured to me that he might not like the dizziness. Thats why I stopped taking the meds for my PCOS.... its was AWFUL. He's such a quiet guy that its just like him to not want to complain about something like that. DUH!

Now I wonder how I'll get him to the doctor to try another drug. Getting him to the doctor is like pulling teeth. I basically have to promise something stupid just to show him I'm willing to do something even though I don't want to.... I'm good with it as long as it doesn't involve sporting events, especially minor league baseball!

LOL... I'm reading my description of him as a quiet guy. He really is, when he's not exploding over every little thing.

[QUOTE=catnapper]... He DID complain it makes him pee more. ...end quote
    um, some BP meds can affect the prostate, and for some men there are other side effects, and these can be intolerable. FWIW
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Some BP meds are diuretics (sp) which will explain the peeing more and others are beta blockers. Might be worth checking which ones he is on.

Also they do take a while to get used to so keep stopping and starting the drugs isn't going to help in the long run
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Hello Catnapper,

Like your husband I'm a person who don't like to take medicines at all. What I do is take alternative medicine! We all know that medicines fix one end and harm the other, so it take the natural way of solving my health problems whenever I can.

My mother suffers from high blood pressure too and she also has an irregular heart beat and she does take her medications on a daily basis. BUT I have introduced her to using Garlic and Chillies which are both ingredients known to lower high blood pressure.

My book which bears the name of Healing Foods says:

Chillies:

Properties-an excelent source if vitamins especially C, minerals,flavonoids, fibre and carbohydrates.

Health benefits-contain compounds essential for maintaining good health and prevention of disease. Capsaicinmakes the eyes and nose 'run', thus acting as a decongestant. Chillies may also help to lower blood pressure, thin the blood nd reduce cholesterol levels, all of which protect the heart and circulation.

Garlic:

Properties-contains several active substances, includingsulphur compunds, which are responsable for the pungent, aromatic flavour

Health benefits-has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and recent studies have shown that eating raw garlic cloves reduces nasal congestion, bronchitis and cold symptoms and protects against reinfection. Compounds in garlic help to lower blood pressure and reduce levels of blood cholesterol, hence protecting the heart and circulation. It has been claimed that garlic may protect against certain cancers but there is no scientific evidence for this. Cooking may reduce galic's health benefits.

If the taste is too strong one still can swollow the galic cloves whole....like a pill.

Mum introduced both the chillies and the garlic in her cooking and her blood pressure reduced considerably, she now takes half the medicine she used to take and became subject to low blood pressure......she sometimes faints due to this!

So, you see you can help your husband in feeling better and please change the cooking but tell him nothing to why you're doing this. You'll be doing what you can in helping him .........secretly!

Good luck! Wish you both all the best!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by karyn674
    So, you see you can help your husband in feeling better and please change the cooking but tell him nothing to why you're doing this. You'll be doing what you can in helping him .........secretly!
    Kinda hard when I don't do the cooking. I am proud of myself if I cut up a pineapple. Hubby does the cooking. He buys the food. I just sit back and eat what he prepares.

Though natural is a good idea, he won't do that any more than he'd take his pills. First, he thinks natural remedies are all hippie-dippy stuff and rolls his eyes (note this is not my opinion). Second, he doesn't think there's a problem: hence his resistence to taking the pills in the first place.

You might want to look up information on the DASH diet. Basically it is pretty much eating healthy, fruits and vegetables, etc. but I don't want to over simplify and interpret it here by saying that. Losing some weight should also be quite beneficial on the BP.

Forget about the more life insurance aspect. The first thing they are going to do when you apply is have someone come out and take his blood pressure. Years ago my husband's blood pressure was just a bit on the high side. His doctor (who he is diligent in seeing regularly) didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. Around that time we applied for some additional life insurance for him, and they turned him down...because of his blood pressure reading. Well, I figured if the insurance company thought it was a reason to not take our money, it was something to be concerned about and his doctor reconsidered. My husband and I both are on the meds for BP and that insurance company lost out on over 10 years of premiums.

It is very common to have try different medications if one has side effects or isn't working properly. As for getting your husband to take care of himself, you seems to have tried a number of approaches which haven't worked. Is there a time when you can sit down to calmly discuss the issue?
    Last edited by Rachel; 06-19-2007 at 03:39 PM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Blood pressure, Statins and....

My husband was on Lipitor...and had tons of symptoms including getting so weak he couldn't put his own trousers on, couldn't raise his arms, and dizziness. This is a guy who does physical labor, on ladders, all day long when he's not selling so you can see the problems.

We knew things had to change but he made no effort to change things. So...I started just 'sharing' interesting little tidbits I found with him. Things like a story someone shared about their experiences with statins, or the latest research. Sometimes we'd get into a discussion as a result. Gradually he started doing his own curiosity look ups on the computer.

He quit the statins, decided to go on moderate Niacin (non-flushing type), and says he feels better every day. His breathing has improved, as has his energy, he sleeps sounder (no nightmares and falling out of bed), no dizziness or weakness. At 73 he's better than he was at 63 and on statins.

Now about the BP: Do a google on Frank Mangano and get his natural cure book for blood pressure called "The Silent Killer". I've used it and it's saving my life since I'm allergic to all the BP meds...they're worse than the known risks of the disease for me.

Hope for the best and don't nag him...as you can see it backfires with men.

Callie

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Some BP meds are diuretics (sp) which will explain the peeing more and others are beta blockers. Might be worth checking which ones he is on.
    One of the first BP meds I was on was a diuretic. It made me so miserable! I couldn't go anywhere except the bathroom. It also depleted my potassium. My doctor switched me to another one and I only need it every other day. (of course I take 3 other meds every day) It doesn't make me live in the bathroom like the other one did. He really needs to chat with his doctor.

Good luck!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Bwahahahaha, I did something slightly evil. Hubby's been having foot pain. Heels - most likely heel spurrs or whatever you call them. He couldn't even stand up last night from the pain. So I finally convinced him he needs to see a doctor. At least then they'd help the pain, either through orthodics or foot surgery. Ok, he agreed to see the doctor.

So I called this morning and got an appointment for this afternoon. I told them his BP will most likely be high and to talk to him about his meds. I mentioned there might be a side effect thats keeping him from taking the meds, so would the doctor please ask about side effects. I told them that hubby CAN NOT know I told them about his BP meds. If its coming from the doctor and he sees how high his BP is, then he can't argue. I hope he gets a long lecture on how you just can't stop meds without a doctor's permission, etc.

Please keep your fingers crossed that his BP is high (otherwise *I* actually am the one with the problem here and is causing all the grief in the house lately ) and that the doctor puts him on a new med, along with a serious talk about how life-threatening his high blood pressure is.

Hubby is far from perfect but I can't imagine life without him... I want and need him around for a long, long time.

Thanks so much for everyone's support and suggestions.

I think you did the right thing, talking to his doctor about this - since he won't listen to you.

Hope it's a doctor who has time to have a serious chat with your husband, so he realizes the importance.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Well, i may be a little late to say good luck, but i can still wish it anyhow for the future.

How did things go?

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Well, here's the conversation last night

Me: how'd the doctor go? What did he say about your foot?
    Hubby: I have to go for Xrays.
    Me: What does he think it is?
    Hubby: I dunno. Maybe spurrs, or a ligament
    Me: Is that all? Nothing else? (notice me NOT say anything about BP?)
    Hubby: Yeah, you have to pick up my allergy and heart medicaine tomorrow.
    Me: ah, I told you your BP was high!
    Hubby: Well I wouldn't need it if you didn't hassle me about everything (this time he was totally joking)

He refused to tell me anything else but apparently it was REALLY high and he got quite an earful from the doctor. I hope he remembers this lesson and doesn't stop taking it in the future.

I am just so happy that he's now back on his meds. He's on the same stuff, but now there's a second prescrption. He didnt know what its was for... perhaps anti-swelling for his ankles? I'm going to look it up tonight after work. Right now I'm running very late for work!

Thanks again guys! Your ideas were wonderful!

And you might want to ask the pharmacist about side effects and how long they might last - and maybe things that can be done to minimize them.

I applaud your husband for joking when you did the "I told you so"! I don't blame you - I would've added a few more myself!

Glad you'll have him around for a while.

Does he 'cook healthy'? Baking and broiling and steaming? Maybe this is a time when he might be interested in one or two healthy recipes - or just changing the way he cooks a couple already.

Glad he is back on meds and will be with you for a while.
    HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Everytime I get a medicine filled here, our pharmacy gives me a sheet describing the med and it's possible side effects. Be sure and check with your pharmacy, just so you will know what to look for.

Glad he's back on his med. Did he put him on a low salt diet yet?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

There are tons of different blood pressure meds out there. They don't all work for everyone. The side effects can be a drag so folks need to tell their doctors. I was on one stuff that was making me dizzy; Doc just adjusted the dose downward. I hope your husband gets with the program, and if the meds don't agree with him, not be afraid to speak up to his doctor.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb