View Poll Results: Is your dog or cat mistaken for the opposite gender?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 53.45%
  • No

9 15.52%
  • Sometimes

22 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are your dogs or cats often mistaken for the wrong gender?

Oz pretty much always gets mistaken for a Girl. I always have him in either a blue, green or purple collar. But I guess he does look sort of dainty, plus add in the blue eyes and long eye lashes and it's an automatic assumption. I don't even correct people anymore.

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

People always call Autumn a boy. Even when she's shaved and its easy to tell. She also used to have a pink collar.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover850
    Oh my gosh that is hilarious!!!!! ROTFLOL! a chihuahua meowing!!! too funny!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that really funny. I started laughing out loud, and my mom asked me what I was laughing at, and I told her and she said "Well, that's not funny."

Khaith (my kitty^^) is always mistaken for a female.. and they always think his name is Kate. Well, it doesn't help much when I used to let him wear pink collars.
    Frisk... everyone tends to mistake him for a girl. Anyone who knows my fat little boy says that they couldn't picture him as a girl. Maybe his name is a bit feminine? Or maybe he looks a wee pregnant(He's not round enough in my opinion to even come close to looking pregnant, though)?
    People get the genders right on everyone else, though.

you know strangely enough for me, people call my girl cat a boy, and my boy cat a boy...apparantly some people just prefer to think of all cats as boys or something.....to ME i think it's quite obvious which gender my kitties are, but that could contribute to the fact that i raised them....

Sammy is often mistaken for a girl. Some people think he just looks like a girl when he has long hair. He obviously looks like a boy to me. Some people think Oreo's a boy because of her name.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

My mia gets called a boy alot even though she often wears pink bows and a pink collar.

YES! Everyone calls Roxy he all the time..
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Yep all the time. Clover is always called "big fella" by strangers hehe, even though she has been wearing/ using a pink collar and lead for the last 8 months or so. Elvis has been mistaken for a "pretty girl" aswell, but he has realy put on some manly muscle in the last few months so he does not look girlie anymore .

Everyone else is pretty obvious.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Pumpkin is called a boy a lot sometimes even after they have been told she had kittens(only happened to my relitives(sp?) Tiger(Zippy's RB brother)was alwas called a girl and Zippy a boy.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Kay, that theory cannot be completely true. Gonzo is always called a "she" or "pretty" by everyone! =P I think it might be because he's such a softy. Even 2 ladies on our Flyball team, who we've known for over a year, call Gonzo a "she"... and they have a male BC. It does get annoying, after you've said "No, he's a boy." 10x.

Strangely, everyone knows Fozzie is a wittle boy. He must exude masculinity

Cali, I think the show you're referring to is "the Facts of Life". My best friend is a girl named Blair! So I also associate it with females.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

My current dogs don't get mixed up. Tommy is so large he's just obviously male .

But with Willie and Cody it was different. Sometimes both were called she, but Cody was ALWAYS called she. Because he looked like "lassie" I suppose. There may be something to the black dog thing as Willie was called she far less. I still remember one lady's response after I told her Cody was a boy "Oh but she's too pretty to be a boy!" Never forgot that one LOL. Ironic too considering males generally have the thicker/longer coats.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

my old dog Max was often called a girl.. I even saw people look at his belly & say, isn't she pretty.. ummm that wasn't a nipple lady lol

I think most people thought Max was a girl because he was so slim & he was fixed. People who don't know squat about dogs don''t understand that the male part is inside the dog & doesn't hang like a humans.

I only think this becasue my mentally challenged friend looked at my dog while he was on his back & told me Max was a girl. When I asked why she said there was no testies (not her words, so I'm cleaning it up a little) & no penis. I said yes he has penis, its right there & she said no, because its not hanging, so it has to be a female.. long story short, I had to teach her about male dog parts. She never mistaken a male for a female ever again after that

So if my mentally chalenged friend thinks like that, I'm sure people who don't know squat about dogs, think the same way.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think, in general, people seem to think dogs are male. Not sure why. And, it used to be, before everything got so "politically correct", and it became "he/she", people referred to anything where the gender was unknown as "he." If I remember correctly, that was the "correct" way in English class. I still do that when I'm writing or typing or speaking although people think I am just assuming, when all I'm really doing is going by the way I learned in school, even if it is not as "PC"... I refer to everything as "he" unless or until I'm told otherwise. Or it's something obvious like a feminine name or color or something...but, even then, I've seen people put pink collars on male dogs. I know I'll sometimes just ask "is your pet male or female?" just to avoid annoying people. It has never bothered me in the past, though...my dog Bruno was small, so, I think that's why some people thought he was a girl, but, even then, that didn't happen often. I don't think anyone's ever asked if Finn was a girl...they just always call him a "him." But, it wouldn't bother me if people thought he was a girl.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Snowy has been called a boy several times while wearing a pink collar and pink harness.

Although, it might have been because she has a blue leash...

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3