Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what books are you reading or have read lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalz View Post
    Have you read "Homer's Odssey"? It is a wonderful book by Gwen Cooper about her life with an amazing blind cat.
    I have not, Ill put it on the list for my weekly trip to the library!!! Thank you!

"Al Capone Does My Shirts" by Gennifer Choldenko. A 2005 Newbery Honor winner. It's targeted at tween readers (10-12 years old), but if you're 13 or older you'll still get a kick out of it. Read the note at the back before you start the book - she gives you a little history that's helpful as you read the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith Cherry View Post
    Carole, Maeve Binchy is wonderful; she makes really believable characters! If you enjoy "Scarlett Feather" try "Quentins" as well as the characters are intertwined and it's very good to read from both sides. She is from Ireland and has written lots of really good novels and short stories too.
    Get "Tara Road" if you can. (That's my favorite Maeve Binchy book.) I read "The Shell Seekers" for a book discussion group -- the problem was that after we picked the book, we scheduled one session to discuss it, but it was way too detailed for only one. There is so much in it about painting and history! We should have planned on at least two.

My mom just started "Three Cups of Tea" for her book discussion group. I haven't read it.

The Chicago History Museum offers a 4-hour bus tour of Chicago sites related to the book "Devil in the White City". I'd like to read the book again and go on the tour!
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 04-12-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

well folks thanks for all the info much appreciated, i have not started Maeve binchy 's book yet, i have so many to get through right now, i am half way through Paullina simons 'a song in the daylight, it is ok, not sure she is my kind of author, i am still more fond of Jodi Piccoult and i now have Kim edwards collection of stories 'the secrets of a fire king' picked it up cheap online trader second hand in brill condition.

I loved her memory keepers daughter book, but have only found that and this one by her, anyone know of any other books she has written.?

Picture Perfect by Jodi Piccoult was good,the lovely bones was ok, i quite enjoyed it and will see the movie end of this month on dvd,sudden change of heart by Barbara Bradford Taylor was quite good as well, but so far i have found most of them pretty predictable,except my sisters keeper, i liked the ending and was surprised by it, was disappointed that the movie did not end the same and was not nearly as good as the book, but isn't that nearly always the case.

I just purchased four paperbacks today at the supermarket, all for five dollars brand new, sun at midnight by rosie Thomas,Jumping to conclusions by Sarah Callis,On,Off by colleen Mccullough, The Triumph of Katie Byrne by Barbara Taylor Bradford, I only know Colleen and Barbara, but am trying all sorts of authors until i find ones i really like.
    Anyone read Belinda Alexander books?
    Yes might be interested in Sara Dontai books also i think, i am a chick lit reader for sure.,maybe i will try some murder,mystery soon, but i have a few to get through ,keep me going for a while.
    Last edited by carole; 04-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm now reading "Grieving the Death of a Pet".

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My sister just started "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. She is going to lend it to me when she finishes it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I recently finished a book called 'The Past is Myself' by Christabel Bielenberg. She was a British emigrant living in Germany under the Nazis. A very poignant account, although I didn't find it quite as compelling as other wartime memoirs. A good read nonetheless.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Missed this thread the first time around -
    I tried to find the "cleo" book Carole - but it isn't released in the States until Sept 2010! boo!
    But I added some to my list at the library!
    I just finished the Host by Stephanie Myer.
    It was so to start but got better.

I LOVE the books by Janet Evanovich - the number series. With Stephanie Plum the bounty hunter.
    reading right now
    Live Bait by PJ Tracy. - they don't have many books - maybe 4-5 but its a mother daughter author team. One lives in California and one lives in Minnesota I think - and they start the story and put them together and cant even tell who wrote what when its together. They are very good.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Zara - how amazing you read that book! My late sister had that many many years ago and I still have her copy. It is a bit tattered, but I hang on to it.

I finished reading a Dickens-era book, The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. I am now reading "A Beautiful Mind", the book about John Nash that was made into a movie. Slow going, but very readable.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Just finished The Truimph of Katie Byrne by Barbara Taylor Bradford, just a cheapie i picked up in the supermarket, it was an ok read, her books are quite good, very predictable,and not that exciting but enjoyable just the same.

Now i am going to start reading Becoming Scarlett by Ciara Geraghty,hope it is a good one.

Aww Staci that is a shame, if i had known you really wanted it i could have sent it over, but alas i have already on sold it.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

thanks Carole - its ok - I have a note by my computer so hopefully I will remember it.

Just finished Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein
    and started Gone to the dogs by mary guterson
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I am currently reading the SWEETEST book called Making Rounds With Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa, MD. I had heard about this kitty on the news!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    I am currently reading the SWEETEST book called Making Rounds With Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa, MD. I had heard about this kitty on the news!!
    I read that a few months ago - loved it!!

Just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Started it on Saturday - finished on Sunday. Could not put it down.
    Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells--taken without her knowledge--became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first "immortal" human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they'd weigh more than 50 million metric tons--as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb's effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.
    link

Now I'm reading one about the Berlin Airlift.

Currently reading, "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane. MOST EXCELLENT!!

His writing is so vivid that I feel like I'm watching it unfold in my mind as I'm reading. Takes place in one of my favorite time periods, around the turn of the century just after the end of WWI, in Boston.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I'm reading Out Stealing Horses by Norwegian author Per Petterson. It's about a retiree who relives the turmoil and grief and beauty of his youth during a night's walk.

I'm about halfway through now. A STUNNING book, beautifully written.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Michael J. Fox's new book... " A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future:Twists and Turns and Lessons Learned."
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred