Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Positive thoughts for Haggis:hyperthyroid+tongue lesion

update

Hi everyone-
    Haggis is still his old self and seems happy and content doing all the stuff he did before his diagnosis. I finally received in the mail the ES for Cat Cancer and the Transfer Factor. Tomorrow, I have to take Hamish to the vet because he has a huge bald sore under his neck and has developed one under his eye. When it rains it pours I guess! Anyway, I am taking the 2 products with me to see what the vet says before giving one of them to Haggis. I am afraid to try something that might have a negative effect on an organ or something-which I was warned about by my mother-in-law (long story there). I also will be talking to a naturopath vet at the end of the week.

Hope everyone is doing well with you and in your household.
    Best wishes...

Hello, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

Hyperthyroidism is fairly common in cats. I've had 2 cats develop this. the first one, I didn't realize there was a problem until he'd had it for some time. He was on the pills for about 4 years before he died. The second cat was much older when she developed it. She was on the pills for about a year and died of something totally unrelated. It CAN be controlled with the pills.

So sorry to read about Hagrid's cancer. I remember Emeraldgreen's Tiger, and yes the Transfer Factor would be a great thing to try.

Let us know about these bald spots that Hamish has developed.

I love that photo of your boys on the stairs, in the dappled sunshine.

I'm so glad to hear that Haggis is doing better but sorry to hear about Hamish. My Creamsicle had a bald spot right on the top of her head and another under her chin, too, and it turned out to be allergies, so maybe that's what's going on w/Hamish. She's on Prednisolone for it and, as a matter of fact, is due for her check-up on Wednesday because she's having a bit of a relapse. Do keep us posted about your kitties.
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

back from the vet

Well,looks like Hamish is having an allergic reaction to something-most likely his hyper thyroid medicine. The vet said those kind of reactions usually manifest around the face and neck. So, he got a shot of cortisone which lasts up to 3 weeks in his system and some topical cream. He said also it could be the Fancy Feast food that we gave them as a treat but that was over a week ago. So,he said to continue with the meds and if he doesn't improve we'll have to find another way to treat him. The options there are a gel or getting it made into a suspension at a people pharmacy...

For Haggis-ES Clear for Cat Cancer got a thumbs down because of the possible negative reactions to several components *BUT* Transfer Factor got a thumbs up! So, I am starting Haggis on that today. If he doesn't like it I'll get a suspension made. Thank you EmeraldGreen! We'll see how it goes. Fingers and paws crossed for luck!

Yes, good luck! Thank you for keeping us updated, and your Hammish and Haggis will remain in our prayers.

update...so far so good

Hi everyone-
    Hamish is healed up from his awful looking bald spots and seems to be putting weight back on and behaving like his old self.

Haggis is so far (knock wood) not symptomatic. The vets gave him 2 months to live basically (from the 10/31 when the lesion was discovered) and if you would see him you wouldn't even know he has cancer. He is eating well and playing. I am so thankful that he still doing well. He is taking Transfer Factor with no problem. I mix it up in Fancy Feast Minced Turkey and Cheese Souffle and he loves it. Hubby says to not get my hopes up but to appreciate every day he is here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thank you so much for the well wishes and prayers. They are very much appreciated.

I'm SO glad to hear Hamish is all healed.

as for Haggis - quality of life is what's it's all about. I'd say if he DOESN'T show any symptoms in 2 months, you better phone the vets and get him a checkup right away!

PT Prayers for both boys!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, that's a pretty good report, I'd say. I'm glad to read that Hamish is healed. As for Haggish, the way my vet expressed it to me is "Expect the best but prepare for the worst" so I know exactly what your husband meant. Enjoy the good times and hold that good thought. It's apparently working.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I was trying to find some information on the specific cancer Haggis has, and I found a website where several owners are asking this specific vet about treatment for squamous cell carcinoma. I would look over it, because depending where the cancer is located seemed to indicate different treatements (i.e. chemotherapy, radiation therpy, and Photodynamic therapy). My cat just finished 6months of chemotherapy (she has nasal lymphoma) and she had a high quality of life throughtout the whole procedure. Here is the website:

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/csqucell.html

I hope this helps some, and you are in my heart. I know exactly how a cancer diagnosis feels. PT is a wonderful place to get information and to talk with others who know what you are going through. You guys are in my prayers!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

I'm so happy to hear about the good report on both your boys, Haggis and Hamish! Fancy Feast must be tasty because it's the one thing I can sneak stuff into for my cats as well! Is cheese souffle/minced turkey a Fancy Feast flavour or do you mix cheese souffle with the turkey Fancy Feast? If it is a flavour, we don't have that here in B.C.

I'm glad that Haggis is eating the Transfer Factor without a problem. I began giving it to my foster cat Barney who was diagnosed with cancer less than a month ago. It didn't agree with him though so he is on another product called Immunocal. It's a natural whey protein and has cancer fighting properties. Here is the website if you're interested. It may be something that you could give in conjuction with with the Transfer Factor, I'm not sure but your vet could let you know. It is derived from milk, though the final product has no milk in it so it is safe for those with lactose intolerance. It's a powder that you can mix right into the wet food and doesn't seem to affect the flavour of the food at all.

:)

You gals are the best!

I have been documenting days with Haggis with my iphone and I thought I would attach a few recent photos. In the evenings, we flip on the fireplace because well- the boys expect it! Hamish gets on my lap and Haggis gets as close as possible. Is there such a thing as broiled Haggis? I think so!

The Fancy Feast is "Elegant Melodys Tender Turkey and Cheddar Cheese Souffle (with Garden Greens)". It's like Mac & Cheese for kitties. It comes in a green can is about .25 more than the other kinds. The kitties like cheese so we thought this might work to hide the Transfer Factor. It doesn't seem really stinky but it sure must be tasty.

No adverse side effects so far from the TF. Good to know there is something else out there to try if there is.

I am supposed to take the boys in soon to get their blood work done to see how the hyperthyroid meds are working. I feel like if I take them in I'll jinx the good vibes we have going on so far. Each time we go to the vet it's bad news and hundreds of dollars!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haggis.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	41080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamish.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	41081  

I'm glad to hear that both of your cats are doing well. I'll continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

What gorgeous boys! I love how Haggis is doing the "cute" pose way behind Hamish in the second photo...he's going to get that cute face in there!

They look just the right size and shape to cuddle wonderfully!

Broiled Haggis...Hmmm....lol!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Beautiful pics! They are both so beautiful. That is great that they are both eating and seem to be doing well. You guys are still in my thoughts and prayers!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

It's 2009...

...and Haggis is still with us. He's past the 2 month mark now from what the vet said we could expect. I am, sadly, starting to see signs of things that cause me concern. He has been drooling more and also has had swallowing episodes where acts like he has the hiccups. He eats pretty well but sometimes needs some encouragement. He still plays in the evenings. I've left the tissue paper from Xmas presents out so he could go on search and destroy missions. All things considered Haggis is okay and fingers remain crossed. I have a knot in my stomach though.

Hamish is in fine form and is gaining weight. Whew!

Take care everyone. I wish everyone a healthy and happy 2009!