Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE PRAY FOR ME: Cat Bite & Rabies Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    But Denise - if no one claims him in three days, he is PTS and THEN the tissue is tested for rabies. NO diagnosis, no treatment.
    That sheds a whole new light on it - talk about doing things the wrong way round It would have made a lot more sense to test him straight away so everyone knew what they were dealing with
    Today 07:13 AM
    As far as I know, the only way to test an animal for rabies is by doing a test on the brain (I think someone also posted about that) and that couldn't be done while the animal is still alive.
    I remember hearing about the head of a dog being sent off from a shelter to be tested for rabies 20 years ago and thinking it was so gruesome. I'm so surprised that they haven't come up with a new way of testing but it seems that they haven't yet. I don't know enough about it but it seems that the brain is the key for determining if the animal had rabies or not.
    Praying that you feel better soon Kim.

I'm so sorry about all of this.

I hope you keep feeling better!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Well, I guess we could have waited and just sent MY brain in for testing. Poor kitty!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats View Post
    Well, I guess we could have waited and just sent MY brain in for testing. Poor kitty!
    Kim, I hope your feeling better today, your health and well being is important to me.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Kim, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
    I have been wondering how you were doing and I am so sorry to hear that you were bit by a cat and now have to go through a series of rabies shots.
    I hope things get better for you and that you heal quickly.
    Check your PM's in a few minutes, I will be sending you something to help cheer you up.
    Sending hugs your way.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Kim, I hope things are going to settle down for you soon. I'm so sorry this happened. I can imagine how your heart was going out to that kitty, too, even though you knew what had to be done. His only saving grace will be if he does happen to have an owner who steps up and can prove his rabies shots are up to date. Sounds pretty far-fetched if he has been coming to you for food. The main thing is that you get well now. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Logan

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope you'll heal up soon and feel better.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Kim, hope all is well soon....
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats View Post
    Some people don't realize that when a human gets rabies it is a 100% DEATH sentence!!!
    Luckily, that's not true, although it's a tough row to hoe. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a1.htm

Don't forget soaks, with or without salt. I've always found that nuking water until it's almost "too hot," then soaking the part until the water doesn't feel warm anymore, and repeated as often as you can, to make a huge difference. If you're not squeamish, you can drain pus that way; regardless, it seems to ease the terrible swollen feel that I find so uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by critters View Post
    Luckily, that's not true, although it's a tough row to hoe. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a1.htm

Don't forget soaks, with or without salt. I've always found that nuking water until it's almost "too hot," then soaking the part until the water doesn't feel warm anymore, and repeated as often as you can, to make a huge difference. If you're not squeamish, you can drain pus that way; regardless, it seems to ease the terrible swollen feel that I find so uncomfortable.

Good luck!
    Here is an excerpt from that link:

This case represents the sixth known occurrence of human recovery after rabies infection; however, the case is unique because the patient received no rabies prophylaxis either before or after illness onset. Historically, the mortality rate among previously unvaccinated rabies patients has been 100% (2). The five previous patients who survived were either previously vaccinated (3) or received some form of PEP before the onset of illness (4--7). As in this case, viral antigen was not detected nor was virus isolated from those patients; increased antibody titers detected in serum and CSF (inconsistent with vaccination alone) confirmed the diagnosis of clinical rabies. Only one of the five patients recovered without neurologic sequelae (4). No specific course of treatment for rabies in humans has been demonstrated to be effective, but a combination of treatments, which might include rabies vaccine, rabies immune globulin, monoclonal antibodies, ribavirin, interferon-alpha, or ketamine, has been proposed

Ok, so maybe 99.9999%.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

(((hugs)))) Kim, I'm so sorry this happened to you and sorrier that you are suffering just because you did a good thing.

Please take good care of yourself; we're all praying for you..........
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Kim, I was thinking the same thing about that article, pretty horrible odds! Not to mention she lived but they don't know what type of brain damage she will have and how much she will recover. Definetely not something to be taken likely. You are doing the right thing getting the shots for sure.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Oh Kim i am so sorry to hear this news, i hope by now you are feeling better and there are no nasty side effects, we are lucky in NZ we don't have rabies, but i sure have read a bit about it.

I can well understand how you felt about the kitty, i had to do a similar thing some years back, but it helped that the kitty was seriously ill, but it still made me feel so bad, i really feel for you and just know you cannot save all the kitties in the world, you certainly have done your bit my dear where that is concerned, Giant hugs to you and wishing you well again.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Hey Kim, I'd never even given a thought to the bottle babies you have there! So glad something developed so they get the care they need.

Hope you are feeling better. And the hand stops swelling and starts healing.

If the cat is neutered, then it likely had a rabies shot at that time. No responsible vet fixes a cat or dog without giving a rabies shot.

I hope the owner shows up and clears all this up and the news is super all around.

As I've been bitten by my own cats, on 2 different occasions, after owning them for years, I guess I just don't get all worked up with getting bit by the ferals who may have some illness, the way perhaps I should.

Kim, I had LES reading what happened to you. I thought, "What next can happen to this poor sweet girl." Well they say things come in 3's and you just hit your 3rd one, so this is IT for you. No more accidents or ill health for you for the rest of the year.

I pray that the cat doesn't have rabies, so you won't have to have any more shots. I'm also very happy to hear that the vet tech was able to take your bottle babies.

Prayers on the way for a full and speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010