Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sydney wobbling: Diarrhea gone, doing much better! (see #55)

"P.S., Sydney is already doing much better today.. eating well, the nystagmus is gone, and he gets around much more normally, still some wobbling and falling but nothing like the Bob-level wobbling/falling any more! "

So glad to hear this! Hugs all around!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

How wonderful Sydney is so much improved! Prayers for complete healing!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you, Pinot's Mom and Oscar and Cole's Mom!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so glad to hear that he's already showing improvement. I hope he'll continue to do so. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Reading of Sydney's improvement makes me so happy! Better and better, Pat.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you, kak and Mary!

He continues to do well! I'll keep you all posted.

Love from Sydney, Pat, and the rest of the gang
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Uh oh..

Something is not right since this afternoon. Now Sydney has been leaving little dribbles of diarrhea around. He'll step into the litter box with his front feet, but with back feet still on the floor outside he does a standing squat like he's straining to get something out. A tiny bit comes out but not enough to be anywhere near a full load. Then he goes somewhere else and tries again. Sometimes half into a box, sometimes on the floor.

I had to put him in the bathroom again, so at least the space he can dribble onto is somewhat limited. He HATES being confined in there again! And since he has improved greatly on his mobility, he does his best to slip out any time I want to go in there for any reason.

He's also not as interested in his food as he had been the last couple of days. He threw up a lot of his earlier meal, and he just hasn't wanted much this evening.

He's gotten his med and his steroids and his fluids on schedule.

So looks like I will be giving Dr. Bill another call when his clinic opens at 9:30 am tomorrow..
    Death thought about it.

I hope this is a reaction to all the meds...at least he is getting mobile enough to be a door darter!

Prayers that there is a simple answer. Have you collected a sample to take in to the vet? It could be something totally unrelated to his wobbles.

HUGS and scritchies for dear Sydney.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I don't know what to say except prayers for Sydney. Keep us posted.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Yes, a vet visit is in order. I can recall this happening to my RB Puddy and even though she dribbled diarrhea, she was impacted and Dr. Lee had to clean her out. It happened to my RB Pidge, too. As they get older, it becomes more difficult for them to have bowel movements, just as it does w/older humans, poor babies. The good news is that Dr. Lee fixed them up in no time flat so if this is the problem w/Sydney, hopefully your vet can clear it up for them quickly as well. We'll pump up the volume on the prayers, too. Keep the faythe, Pat.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Pat, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was thinking that maybe it's a reaction to the steroids. Since he threw up his food and hasn't eaten very much, this may be causing the diarrhea. I know that pred must be given with food or vomiting may occur and maybe even diarrhea. I don't know what type of steroid he's on though. Yes, I'd definitely call your vet and he may need to be seen. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

My Sydney , it was so nice of You ^^ My Sydney Dearest to join us at the King's Buffet last night!!!
    We sure enjoyed your Company, and Your Fellow Cats and Awesome Cat Angels as well.
    We are going back for Lunch Tomorrow , if you cannot be there what would you like in Your Kitty Bag???
    Your Lover in Tuxedo Scrappy Two

Awaiting the pleasure of My Sydney Dearest on Our Ebony Beau Tubster Enclosure.
    There's a Red Flyer Wagon built for Two, My Sydney.My Love , My Life , My All
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Poor Sydney, I'm sorry to hear this! How's he doing now?

This morning he was lethargic and still didn't want food. I didn't give him his steroid dose in case that might have something to do with this.

I went to work at the shelter at 7:00am. At 9:30 I called Dr. Bill and told him what was going on. He thought it was very likely a reaction to the large steroid dose (Pred oral suspension, 10mg/ml, dosage 1ml every 12 hours). I told him I hadn't given Sydney the morning dose, so Dr. Bill said "Give it to him now (you can't just go cold turkey on pred), and if he's still the same in another day or two I'd like to see a stool sample." I told him I'd brought one with me this morning in case he'd like to see it, so he said he would.

I went home and gave Sydney 1/2 ml of the Pred. At this point he seemed more alert and on the ball than he had earlier, so I gave him a small dish of warmed-up wet food, half KD with Chicken and the other half some real yummy nom-noms (Friskies and Fancy Feast). He wolfed it all down!

So I went back to the shelter (dropping off the stool sample on the way), finished up about 2pm, and came back home. Sydney looked about the same, so I gave him some more food, this time all kidney food. He didn't eat this quite as enthusiastically, but he did eat most of it.

Dr. Bill is going to call later with the results of the stool sample check.
    Last edited by phesina; 05-24-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Death thought about it.

Glad to hear that he ate! I hope your vet is right and it's "just" a reaction to the steroids. Poor boy!