Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's Up With Dick Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Sara,

I'm well aware of the deferment process during the Vietnam Era Draft. However, separating what would be a legit 6 year tour through college and what was an intentional 6 year course of study would be damned near impossible.

That's a real stretch and you know it. Let's just say that
    Cheney was not the brightest bulb in the pack. Plus he had his fear
    of actually breaking a sweat in his duty to the country, he just kept asking for a deferment.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    There is another thread here in the Dog House where the current president is referred to as "BO" and "Hussein Obama"...

When I see your objection to casual reference to current leaders in that thread I will believe in your sincerity.

Amen.

I try to see the humor in all of this, it is better for my blood pressure.

Sara, did you catch Eugene Robinson"s column on Cheney? Loved it.

Eugene Robinson
    Cheney unchained
    By Eugene Robinson / Washington Post

Posted: May 12, 2009 Can't we send Dick Cheney back to Wyoming? Shouldn't we chip in and buy him a home where the buffalo roam and there's always room for one more crazy old coot down at the general store?

For the final act of his too-long public career, Cheney seems to have decided to become an Old Faithful of self-serving nonsense. His latest in a series of eruptions came Sunday on "Face the Nation," when he continued to press his revisionist case for torture -- and, for good measure, counseled his Republican Party to marginalize itself even further from public opinion and common sense.

"It's good to go back on the show," Cheney told host Bob Schieffer at the beginning of the interview. "It's nice to know that you're still loved and are invited out in public sometimes."

I don't know about the love, but I do know why Cheney gets asked to appear on talk shows so regularly. Unrestrained by protocol or objective reality, he's pretty much guaranteed to say outrageous things. As far as he's concerned, issues have just one side -- his -- and anyone who disagrees must secretly wish to deliver our nation to al-Qaida.

So when Schieffer asked if Cheney "literally" meant to say that the Obama administration has "made this country more vulnerable" to terrorist attacks by repealing Bush-era policies on torture and detention, the former vice president didn't pause for a nanosecond. "That's my belief," Cheney said, "based upon the fact, Bob, that we put in place those policies after 9/11. . . . It was a time of great concern, and we put in place some very good policies, and they worked, for eight years."

The fallacy lies in the fact that it is impossible for Cheney to prove that anti-terrorism methods within the bounds of U.S. law and tradition would have failed to prevent new attacks. Nor, for that matter, can Cheney demonstrate that torture and other abuses were particularly effective.

Other high-ranking officials from the previous administration, including George W. Bush himself, have had the manners and good sense to follow long-established custom and refrain from attacking the new president and his policies. Cheney, however, is not only accusing President Obama of knowingly putting American lives at risk -- an outrageous charge -- but also diving headlong into partisan politics.

Schieffer asked him about Rush Limbaugh's assertion that the Republican Party would be better off if Colin Powell left and became a Democrat. One would think that Cheney would have at least a measure of respect for a longtime colleague with whom he had served in two administrations. But one would be wrong.

"Well, if I had to choose in terms of being a Republican, I'd go with Rush Limbaugh, I think," Cheney said. "I think my take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican."

Let's see: Given a choice between a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and secretary of state who has given to his nation a lifetime of exemplary public service or an entertainer who brags about how much money he makes from bombast and bluster, Cheney would go with the gasbag. This is advice that's supposed to help the Republican Party?

I really think Cheney would be happier if he were home on the range. I'm sure the deer and the antelope would enjoy listening to what he has to say.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Le buscas tres patas al gato.....

People with no sense of humor aren't very much fun.

But, their politics are hilarious.

------------------------

I'll get on some respect for the BO when his followers chill. They be wanting respect for da man when the show no respect for everyone else.

Can't we all laugh about the Pelosi instead?

4. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    That's a real stretch and you know it. Let's just say that
    Cheney was not the brightest bulb in the pack. Plus he had his fear
    of actually breaking a sweat in his duty to the country, he just kept asking for a deferment.
    If it walks like a duck and quakes like a duck....I'm thinking it is probably a duck. His draft dodging wasn't anything different than a whole lot of other guys then...and as he has said he had better things to do than serve his country at the time!

I mind his patronizing, arrogant, hypocrisy. Fine for him to send you or me to fight - he has other things to do!

I like the article Liz....he should "can it" and go back home on the range!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Can't we all laugh about the Pelosi instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Part of me laughed hysterically, the other part makes me want to report you to the Mayor for scaring the Dems and small children who will see that pic!