Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miles needs Pet talk Prayers Update on miles

Oh dear...I hope Miles doesn't have to be put down. Cats get along great on three legs...how old is he?

I don't know how old he is with 13 I have a hard time keeping track of them . I do know he's an orangey.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

11;05 PM Eastern Time - Wednesday night

Gina just walked into

After-hours Emergency Service:
    Animal Emergency Service located at the corner of White Spruce Boulevard and East Henrietta Road across from MCC. Their phone number is 585-424-1277.

Gina was able to read / write with Kim - the all-night office girl.
    I've given Kim my CC Number and phone number ...

There are two Vets and three patients - but Kim said "it shouldn't be too long to see Miles and check him out."

She and or the Vet will call me ASAP after the exam.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Edited to say I'm very relieved that she has reached the emergency vet. Now that the vet has all the information they need from Phred, I can slip away and get on with looking after my lot who have been waiting too long for dinner.

Corinna has PMd me and said she and Sue were trying to get a location on Gina. As Phred indicated, sounds like she made it.

I'll donate NP!

Thank you Phred I have been trying to reach her. Bless you Please keep in touch you can Pm me too . Thanks again.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    11;05 PM Eastern Time - Wednesday night

Gina just walked into

After-hours Emergency Service:
    Animal Emergency Service located at the corner of White Spruce Boulevard and East Henrietta Road across from MCC. Their phone number is 585-424-1277.

Gina was able to read / write with Kim - the all-night office girl.
    I've given Kim my CC Number and phone number ...

There are two Vets and three patients - but Kim said "it shouldn't be too long to see Miles and check him out."

She and or the Vet will call me ASAP after the exam.

/s/ Phred
    Thanks, Phred! Glad she was able to get there and communicate with someone, and that you or she will report back in. Whew!

Phred here - it's now 1:36 AM Eastern Time Thursday as I start to write this.

At 12:10 AM Kim from Animal Emergency Service Called -
    Their Dr. Kim had "looked" at Miles and seen some of the "notes" dictated by
    the Vet from Animal Hospital of Pittsford - the one Gina had Miles at this afternoon & evening.

The ER basically did nothing - they did not receive the X-rays taken by Pittsford -
    no mention was made by anyone WHY the X-rays weren't sent with Miles.
    NO X-rays - so Dr. Kim "can't give an estimate of what needs to be done."

WHY didn't Animal Emergency just Take an X-ray ... ??
    $90.00 exam fee + $80.00 per X-ray - they thought it wasn't necessary - as X-rays had be taken by Pittsford (to bad no body knew WHERE they were!)

Cat was INJURED EARLY MONDAY Morning - it's now Wednesday evening ...
    I can understand his questioning working on a 3-day old case at midnight.

Best info that Animal Emergency has is:
    REAR Leg broken - femur (upper leg bone) broken near hip joint ...

1) High Priced Board Surgeon type repair with "pins & plate" or "External Fixture"
    will run between $1,800.00 and $2,800.00 ... and require follow-ups. "Should" give cat good mobility.

2) Cheap Fix that Pittsfield could do - involves cutting off leg bone and allowing scar tissue to fill in - results in "poor mobility" ... Cost $1,000.00
    this option NOT explained by Office Girl Kim very well - their Vet obviously thought this was the "inferior fix".

3) Amputate the broken leg is third option = $1,000.00

4) Option is PTS.

Cat is reported to be born 2002 = 3-4 years old.

Animal Emergency hooked her up with a "No Interest Credit " deal ...
    http://www.carecredit.com/patients/whatis.htm
    12 months to pay off $1500 bill - no idea where she gets the $125.00 per month for the payment ...
    and the $1500 isn't enough to cover the low estimate of $1800.

I'd guess IMOM still hasn't received a "firm estimate" from a Vet ...
    so IMOM probably hasn't committed to help.

Gina communicated with me via the California "MY IP Relay" - which is going to be very expensive after 7:00 AM in the morning.

Her communication was somewhat rambling ...
    she'd taken the Cat (Miles) and left the Emergency Vet at midnight for a 15-20 minute ride home - at 1:18 AM she was telling me it would be another 30 minutes for her to get home.

Said she hadn't eaten in 3 days ... was going to stop to eat ...
    then "someone" approached her car to see if she needed help ...
    but the car "started OK"

She called again to say she was home at 1:45 AM.

I asked HOW Miles was going to get back to either Vet ...
    never got an answer.

I never heard if she IS or Is NOT having "car trouble".
    Both Vets are waiting to hear What To Do ... and neither Vet Has the CAT!

I would STRONGLY suggest that someone who Gina KNOWS sit down with her and
    havea frank discussion ...
    talking via the "MY IP Relay" leaves a lot to be desired.

My thoughts are that both these Vet Clinics are looking to make as much as than can on this poor cat -
    and NO one is looking at what may be an "acceptable" repair of the broken leg.

It's now 2:55 AM Eastern time - I can do no more right now.

/s/ Phred

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I hope that Miles is being helped.It IS getting late like Phred has said.
    Last edited by catfamily; 03-02-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

update on miles!

phred, I'm glad you could update everybody for me as I asked you to, thank you! everyone, I'm sorry if I had you some worried - I called my mobile this morning, they refreshened my mobile! (my net still is being grouchy!) going to update now, never got a chance to last night - phred's post are quite a bit mixed up.

when the vet came back with xrays, they gave me shivers, the left femur was completely broken - the crack top part was hanging over the joint - looks so painful! the doctor came back with three options, 1) plate/pin operation, 2) amputation and 3) PTS. when I heard the second & third one, it upsetted me very much - I know it's not the choices I would choose! with hearing PTS has to be one of it and the look on vet's face wasn't good, had me going over to emergency (named above - VRS) as quick as I could for options discussions after miles vet suggested me to go and see VRS to find an earliest available date/time for miles - I hate and breaks my heart to know more how much pain pain miles have been/was in. now he's on better medication and is much relaxer! now I too can relax a bit too. anyway, the xrays could have came with me but the pittsford vet changed his mind, wanted to keep them to show his boss for second opinion. they just sent the xrays over this morning - the surgeon or person who's responsible for miles' surgery wasn't there last night. he should be there today, this afternoon for ??more options and should give me an accurrate esitmate.

but then ... it was dark, me in tears, new to big big rochester city, drove and drove around, I found just one part the pittsford recepionist wrote a wrong exit number! I kept going in loop, knew I was somewhere close, that got me frustrated more. there also was so many missing signs, argh! at around 10PM, my car finally sputtered out...sigh. I flagged for help, a man stopped by, I asked quickly if he'd know where VRS is, he said yes, he took one of his animals there before! and took me, miles there - sorry, I didn't care about my car! I was three hours late than what they expected and just wanted to get there before the day starts new.

got there, the all-night girl rushed me into an exam room, I stopped her - told her miles was already examed, xrayed - I was a bit confused because the pittsford told me VRS is expecting me there (for finding an earliest available, find more options and to apply care credit for IMOM - one of their requirements - I'm disqualified because I wasn't denied) - while I was applying - VRS doctor (doctor kirk) came and sat down, miles was greeting him!! but we had to put him back in cage before he hurts himself again. again, gosh - he was PURRRRRING. so, doctor kirk only could tell me what he knows for surgeon - these same options and even better, an estimate - "I'm not a surgeon but I'm good at guessing an esitmate, approx $1,800 - $2800 and to play it safe, up to $3,000." - he could not know if either surgeon could do miles on thursday or friday (their typical days of doing surgery) and asked me to come back.

a bit after, miles got a lot of BIG doggy veggy treats, he looooves 'em, especially chewiing them! the sweet kim had me take some extras for home. just few minutes going around back the few blocks away corner (where my car was left to) to get a snack, got a surprise call from cinder & smoke. he addressed himself as a fred, I know a best fred (lady's human), just met another vet named fred, and they both had my number but not phred! I got all confused - he was insisting to know where I am, if my car was running - asking me over and over again if I or the car is fine - I didn't want to answer because didn't want to worry anybody. (the car was being uncooperative!) well, relay is always impersonal to me though, you tell things to one through another person, eh. the call then was somewhat fishy to me, I asked him for his last name, ah morris! he couldn't let me go until I answer so I offered a solution, "I will call back when I get home!" someone was working on my car, jump started it, had more oils in. someone in new hampshire just had my car checked few days ago and said things were fine. oh well.

home at 1:30AM! a long, long exhausted day/night. took crayola out and settled miles in a huge comforty cage as vet's order in case he will have a surgery today. I'm going to call back just after this, and see if miles's surgeon is there by now and discuss more about what to do next since the xrays are there now.

there are a few people who could help me get ball start rolling in for special treatment at VRS (where he'll be having a surgery at).. I'm praying to do as soon as possible what we can. I want and still need more opinions what's best for my dear miles. (some of yours or experienced ones would be very much appreciated too). I'd stick with option number one! not that I wouldn't love him less if he's three legged, it would be so sad if he had to lose one.

since this is so long, (sorry!) I'm going to stop for now. I probably will come back with some pictures next of my little boy. right now, he's right next to me in bed after just gave him another pain killer injection. and best of all, purrrrring!! gosh, what a little big motorboat is he! my heart feels much much lighter now, a couple anchors off.

allright, again, thankyou and thank you very much for your caring hugs and thoughts! if I were in front of you, beware.. I'd squeeeeze you! sure need lots of them. (((((all)))))
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

OMG!!! What a night I missed. I was sick and went to bed early. So much happened. I am glad that Miles was seen and that surgery is an option for him. I know he wouldn't be loved any less if he only has 3 legs, but if his leg can be repaired that would be the best solution. I hope and pray for strength for both of you and I am glad that he has pain killers for now. Gina, I hope that you will hear something soon. Please update as soon as you can. Continued good thoughts, (((((Hugs))))) and prayers to both of you.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

OMG I can't beleive the nightmare you've been through.Especially being lost at night in a strange city...having to except a strangers ride to the vet.God is on your side.Prayers for Miles and especially you for all your going through.Please take care.I know everything will work out in the end.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Just to add a little something to this nightmarish drama, I found out when I called the original vet's office this morning that the receptionist who had taken my credit card details yesterday afternoon had put them in her pocket and left without telling anyone. She said it had been a "crazy busy day". Words pretty much failed me. I hope Miles can be fixed up without any more chaotic twists and turns.

Gina - you go with what is best for Miles, even the plate and pin. Many people here will chip in a bit, and will get you covered!

Hey - Miles can be the Bionic Cat! And set off metal detectors at the airport!
    (Just trying to give you a smile, hon.)

The Emerg Vet info is in this thread. So np. Hope you got something to eat!

hugs
    Catty1

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Gina ~ I'm so sorry for all that you and little Miles are going through. I have mailed you a donation for whatever treatment is decided upon.

I'm still not clear on whether IMOM has denied your application or if after reading their instructions, you decided not to apply because you believe you don't qualify. If they did deny you, what reason was given?

I'll PM you with my contact information. Unfortunately, I'm away at work (in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska) until March 19th. So, I won't be on as much but I can access my home e-mail. I'll send you that info.

Here's a list of other organizations that may be able to help. If anyone knows of others, please post them. Let's help Gina and Miles!
    I got this list in an e-mail, so I can't verify the legitimacy of these places-and I know some are listed in the other sources page of the IMOM site, but figured I'd post for you.

Add www.omaspride.com as they help rescues.

American Animal Hospital Association
    www.aahahelpingpets.org/home/
    "The heartbreak happens all too often a pet owner is unable to afford treatment and their sick or injured companion animal pays the price. If the owner is elderly, disabled or on a fixed income, the cost of care may be too much of a stretch for their pocketbook. Perhaps they have been victimized by crime, property loss or a job layoff and are experiencing a temporary financial hardship ? making it too difficult to afford pet care. And some animals, brought to clinics by Good Samaritans, don't have an owner to pay for treatment. Whatever the situation, the fact remains the same: When sick or injured animals are unable to receive veterinary care, they suffer. Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."
    Maybe would help rescues?

Angels 4 Animals
    www.Angels4Animals.org
    "Angels4Animals, a non-profit organization and a program of Inner Voice Community Services, has a mission to serve as the guardian angel of animals whose caretakers find themselves in difficult financial situations. At Angels4Animals we believe that animal owners should not have to say goodbye to the animals that they love. Our work is accomplished in conjunction with veterinary clinics across
    the country, eager to assist as many animals, and their owners, as possible. Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment to those pets and pet owners in need."

Help-A-Pet
    www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
    "Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
    working poor. For lonely seniors, physically/mentally challenged
    individuals and children of working parents, pets represent much more
    than a diversion."

The Pet Fund
    thepetfund.com/
    "The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care. Often animals are put down or suffer needlessly because their owners cannot afford expensive surgery or emergency vet visits. Companion animal owners must often make the difficult decision to put an animal down or neglect urgent medical needs because of the costs involved. The purpose of the Pet Fund is to work towards a future where decisions about companion animal
    medical care need never be made on the basis of cost."

United Animal Nations
    www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
    "The mission of LifeLine is to help homeless or recently rescued
    animals suffering from life-threatening conditions that require
    specific and immediate emergency veterinary care. We strive to serve Good Samaritans and rescue groups who take in sick or injured animals. In certain cases, LifeLine can also assist senior citizens and low-income families pay for immediate emergency veterinary care."

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.