Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whos dogs are from petstores?

Both of mine from mills. We got Pepper before we knew much about mills.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Roscoe's from a shelter. The only pets I have ever gotten from a petstore are fish

Sadie and Maggie are from the petstore. I did not know at the time that petstores were bad. Grant is from the shelter. Sadie and Maggie have not had any problems thus far, hopefully they never will. I have papers on Sadie which has the sire and dam listed on there.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

We adopted Bijou from a rural rescue after seeing her on Petfinder, and Bonnie, our first cat, was adopted from a shelter that has adoption days at Petsmart. Levi and Charity were fostered through a shelter and then we adopted them through the kitty adoption center that is housed at Petsmart.

We did purchase a pair of parakeets at a pet store - one lived for about five years, the other about seven years. They were healthy while we had them but they didn't quite live their full expected lifespan.

Star and Sherman are both from breeders, my RB Rosie was from a humane society, but my kitty ChowChow was from a pet store. It was a really nice privately owned store that took really good care of their animals and didn't sell dogs & cats regularly - they were just helping out the kitty-owner. Although he did have some health problems, he did live to be almost 17!
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 12-13-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Kia came from the Humane Society.
    My grandma's dog, Bambi, came from a Pet Store. (much to my parents dis-approval)
    My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.
    My sister, Jenn's dog, Sasha, came from the pound.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Sylvia is from a pet store. W got her before we knew about puppy mills. I learned quickly after that and we adopted Harley a month and a half later because Sylvia was lonely and I felt guilty about getting her from a pet store. It makes me sick to think where her parents probably are right now.

Harley was adopted from a shelter, Morty was adopted from a foster home, and Jimmy was an abused stray I rescued on a trip to Tennessee to visit my ex's Grandpa. (Pa had been feeding him for 2 years and the neighbors were abusing Jimmy horribly but that’s a story for another thread)
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

aww i remember the story of jimmy

{{{{{My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.}}}}}
    aww can you tell me the story of that?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I've never gotten a dog from a pet store, but, my ex and I did get our Bengal cat, Lock, from a pet store. Finn came from a breeder, not a mill. I'd say they were probably just a step up from backyard breeders, though.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

None of my dogs were pet store puppies...

Shadow I got from my Aunt...not sure where she got her from, most likely BYB though

Micki and Mini - BYB...I really didn't know much about backyard breeders at the time, and we suffer from it. Micki has problems up the wazoo

Kyra - Mini's puppy Couldn't convice the rents not to do it...my dad grew up thinking it was beneficial for female dogs to have one litter...they are "better dogs"

Jack - Rescue, he was on his way to the shelter but an old man took him in and handed him over to a rescue instead and then we picked him up a month later.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

- Hunter came from a rescue group
    - Savannah was a friend of friend who found her as a stray but couldn't keep her.
    Bear and Nikka came from our ex next door neighbor, Nikka first followed by Bear.
    My RB terrier X Sandy my mom got at the swap meet when I was in high school, I'm guessing he came from a backyard breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    {{{{{My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.}}}}}
    aww can you tell me the story of that?
    She went to do some shopping and a woman was in the parking lot with a box full of puppies just giving them away for free. She wasn't too happy... from what Linn said, it was a litter from her sister's dog and after this little incident, she planned on having the dog fixed herself.

So Linn called her then fiance and asked about the puppy. Fiance drove out and they picked one out. He's a beagle, ACD, collie mix.

He's Kia's buddy:

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    My sister, Linn's dog, Seamus, came from a Walmart parking lot.

I think I remember you mentioning that, lucky Seamus. My niece got her kitten, Trout, the same way. From a box in front of Walmart. Her friend went in to shop and there were five or six...came out about an hour later, and Trout was the only one. So he called Robyn and then brought Trout to her. He's a great kitten, too!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Our family cat Chance came from a box in front of the small town grocery store I worked at. We had just lost Nike that same day and well...the news spread like wildfire. I saw the box of kittens on my way into work but the grief was too recent to really appreciate them. Just before my lunch break, a co-worker dropped a kitten in my hands (the last one in the box she said). He was obviously the runt of the litter. I loved Chance so much.

Onneka came from the same store parking lot too. I had just gotten off my shift and a kid rides up to me on his bike with this gray and white kitten saying his parents won't let him keep it and he didn't want it to die. Boy did he ever see a sucker. I took it home and lied to my parents about where he came from. He's been a member of the family ever since.

All my dogs are either from a Shelter or Humane Society. I don't even
    buy pet food from a pet store that sells dogs & cats.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt