Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6-yr-old suspended after mother refuses to spank him

Perve is here???? Oh my gosh, I've always wanted to meet him......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

My sisters and I were spanked too, Slick, and I feel we've turned out allright.

We always got a swat on the butt for minor infractions. Major... Mom would go into our room with a garbage bag. Oh the tears!!!

There was a paddle hanging up downstairs and we honestly believed my parents would use it or the belt, but they never did. Should of known they wouldn't seeing it was so dusty.

Pyschological fear. It's the best!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Where to begin... I see nothing wrong with an occasional spanking when other forms of punishment don't work. If you give your kid a time out every day for doing the same thing- it should occur to you that time-outs aren't working. I was a kid not so long ago, I was good at the "go to my room and behave until they chill out" mode of thinking being sent to my room was not a punishment, it just made me try harder to not get caught next time. On the other hand, when I'd get taken over my dad's knee, I'd KNOW that I had better quit whatever I was doing.
    I will certainly try other forms of punishment with my little boy, but if a behavior continues, he'll be taken over my knee just like I was when I was a kid. I turned out just fine. I have more maturity in my little finger than a lot of people my age and I think that that is in part to my parents keeping me from becoming a little monster.
    This woman needs to crack down on her little 6 year old and find something that works! In the meantime, I'm sure that she'll put him into a public school where he'll fit in just fine with all of the other little hooligans:
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Ooh I remember double whammy days. Too much of a smart a*se in school which often necessitated the use of a cane which was six strokes straight across the hand. Of course if it was a major indescresion, the school would talk to my father, and waiting at home would be a leather belt, straight across the bum. **OUCH**.

It taught me two things. Behave, and to never get caught.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Ok, this could only happen in a Christian scool. First off, who suspends a 6-year-old? If the child is having problems concentrating in class you take him to see the counselor first to see if there is something wrong that they can fix. If he brings toys or gum to class, you take them away. I agree that the mother has discipinary problems because she allows this child to bring toys and gum to class and aparently has ignored the notes she got from the school, assuming she got the notes. I think public school would actually fix this problem. I have just as many friends that grew up in public schools as friends that went to private schools.I've heard of so many more discipline problems in private schools and students of private schools are more likely to turn to drugs and alcohol because they are in a more rigid school stucture. Also, when some of my friends from private schools came to public high school and to Lakeland they didn't know anything about the real world. They were taught limited things in school. Never anyting about drug and alcohol abuse or sex and birth control and std's. They were more likely to try things because they had never heard of anything about them except "just say no". I resent that you would say public school will turn this kid into a druggie. Its the other way around. And to get back to the subject, I would not spank my child either. At my house we talk about problems we are having and we work them out together, spanking hurts the child and does teach them you are mad at them, but it doesn't fix anything. It's like taking aspirin to cover the pain from a broken leg. Sure you don't feel anything but you still have a dangling leg that is only getting worse.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Did you ever think that being spanked was not the reason you turned out? There are hndreds of other factors involved. My sister and I both got spanked or belted or paddled. She's in jail and I'm in college. Someting else was involved in how we turned out, sorry spanking didn't matter. I mean honestly, when you were doing something bad did you really think about getting spanked? And afterward did you go sit in your room and actually do some deep thinking about why your parents had to spank you and what lesson they were trying to instill. No. You rubbed your butt and went on with your life as if it never happened. Especially at 6 years old you don't hang on to your spankng, you forget it right away when you next go out to play. Only thing it taught me was not to get caught.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

It is one thing to spank a child for hitting smebody, it is anther to spank them for a discipliary problem that they cannot change so easily and that they more then likely don't understand themselves. If he is testing at a third grade level then of course he is bored in first grade. I still get bored in class and I am in college. When I was in first grade I was given seperate, hands'on projects to do while the other kids caught up on their reading. We were not skipped ahead because we were not socially ready for other classes, just intellectually ready. We were given other projects to work on and sometimes we were taken to the ESL classes to work with kids our age that couldn't speak good English, which is good practice to have them interact wih ngish students rather than always being taught by a teacher. Spanking won't help that he is not challenged in class enough or that he learns differently than others students. It will only tell him that you want him to change something he cannot change by himself and it will frustrate him

I'm trying to teach my dog to speak on command, but she doesn't quite get what I want her to do. She tries different things, but cant get it without my help. When she gets close, like whilnes or makes frustrated noises, I reward her noises and try to get her closer to a bark. I work with her. If she can't speak yet today when I say it, should I take the belt to her and beat the tar out of her?

I completely agree that public schools aren't full of druggies or hooligans. I went to both private and public schools growing up and each was filled with its own share of problems. Whether a child is a hooligan or not depends on the parenting they receive. I was not spanked as a child and I went to public school. I've never done a drug in my life and I don't even drink. I think my parents did a wonderful job. My mom did work hard reading child psychology books and taking parenting classes. I respect her so much more than someone who just automatically takes a belt to a child without first trying to educate themselves on better ways to discipline. It just seems so crazy to me that spanking is such an accepted method of discipline. I can't understand the concept of it no matter how hard I try.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I think that corporal punishment can be put off until the kid
    buries a #2 pencil into his schoolmates skull.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    I think that corporal punishment can be put off until the kid
    buries a #2 pencil into his schoolmates skull.
    Or into their arm. When I was in the 4th grade this boy was in my chair and when I asked him to move so I could get my stuff to go home, he stabbed me in the arm with a pencil and ran out of the class. I'm sure a good talkin too is all this potential killer in the making needed.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Originally posted by IRescue452
    Only thing it taught me was not to get caught.
    I 'm glad that John Wayne Gacy, Jeff Dahmer, the BTK killer,
    Son of Sam, Richard Ramirez, Juan Corona, the Unabomber weren't spanked as kids........that probably the reason THEY were caught.

PC.

OUCH......
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

[i] spanking hurts the child and does teach them you are mad at them, but it doesn't fix anything. It's like taking aspirin to cover the pain from a broken leg. Sure you don't feel anything but you still have a dangling leg that is only getting worse. [/B]
    Ohh, it sure "fixed" things for me. If I was about to do something, I knew my dad would find out and make me walk to the closet, pick out a belt, and he would spank me with it. I often changed my mind on doing something "rebelious" just because I KNEW what was to come afterwards, and I sure wasn't going to go through that.

Yes, it can prevent some bad things, and it could stop the child from bringing toys to class and from talkig in class, but does it fix the underlying problem that he is bored in class ad not feeling challenged enough, no.