Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It bothers me...anyone else?

Exactly Twisterdog! A signature is not "forcing" your thoughts or beliefs on anyone, it's simply there. I retain my assertiveness for the appropriate threads. (Or I try to) *Chuckles*

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    A signature is not "forcing" your thoughts or beliefs on anyone, it's simply there.
    Right.

Look at my signature, for example. I'm asking my Christian God to bless my country of origin. Wow ... I could tick off three-fourths of the people on here with that one! But, hey, if some of you don't believe in God or don't like the USA, more power to you, doesn't bother me ... just don't read my signature. I'm not trying to force any of you to believe in God or love the USA, I'm just stating that I do.

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

If I was religious I would keep it between god and me. I always thought something on that high a level could never be told or explained. I don't mind stickers and such but those that always tell you "Oh u need to come to church blah blah blah" yeah that makes me mad cuz if I wanted to go to church Id go. But I love to argue to god loving people

I agree here as well - a signature isn't what is bothering me. It's those who preach endlessly about their personal religious beliefs, and condemn others who don't share them, or, worse; try to convert others into their "fold"

That, in a nutshell, tends to seriously tick me off.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    This is the doghouse, for "slightly controversial topics." If slightly controversial topics are posted, I will post my OPINION if I deem it a worthy topic. My religion has very much to do with my opinions... end of story.

P.S. Maybe you feel it's "flaunted in your face" because you are lacking religion in your life?

That last statment is not necessarily true, and, is going to be taken very offensively. But, I'm looking forward to the discussion that will follow it. I mean, it was meant to push buttons, so, push away. I will say that I know plenty of highly religious people that don't want other religions flaunted in their face any more than someone who is a pagan or someone who is agnostic or atheist or whatever. It doesn't mean that you're lacking religion because zealots and/or hypocrites annoy you. End of story.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I think faith in a higher power is a very human thing to need; the Universe is an awfully big place and a Supreme Being can be great as an interface. But when people start saying my Supreme Being's better than yours, then that's stupid! God(dess) by definition is infinite, so constraining The Infinite with anything *merely* human is nutz. Personally I like the idea of polytheistic religions, because I interpret them to be looking at different aspects of God (who is genderless, IMHO, but there is no good gender neutral pronoun in English.)

FWIW, a very rambling opinion. No offense is intended to any who believe differently.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I have no problem with people advertising their religion whether it be on bumpers or sigs, if you are proud of who you are then why not, I don't like people trying to force their beliefs on me though, but I do respect other people's beliefs as long as they respect mine, and that it what it is all about to me.

It is only natural for a Christian to try to teach the gospel I think, Its part of their beliefs, and I guess they just want you to experience the joy of religion as they have.

When I was 18 I joined a religion much against my parents will, they were Presbyterians, I now view this religion more of a cult really, and even though two of my best friends are part of this religion, I wish to have no part of it now,they never preach it to me, I do get in some heated debates with my friends hubby, about it sometimes, but they are always enjoyable, and I think he is only trying to save me, and I appreciate him trying.

My children have had no religious upbringing, and some may feel I am wrong for that, but I have exposed them to different religions through their friends, my daughter especially has visited several different churches, so far she is not keen to take on any of them, and I leave this to her choice.

Whatever your beliefs, be proud of them and by all means share them, but don't force them on anyone, and respect them.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am so glad that my daughter and my stepchildren are very aware of what we believe, and why we believe it. I think it will help them with their lifelong decisions. At least I hope it will.

Logan

Originally posted by sirrahved

P.S. Maybe you feel it's "flaunted in your face" because you are lacking religion in your life?
    If you feel that I am lacking religion you are sadly mistaken. I am a proud Pagan.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

As long as everyone stay civil, this discussion can stay. Keep in mind, everyone, that "pushing people's buttons" is not welcome on Pet Talk. Having a discussion is fine, but remember that every pet - and every person - is special, and should be treated respectfully.

Originally posted by WolfChan
    If you feel that I am lacking religion you are sadly mistaken. I am a proud Pagan.
    That's facinating (seriously) Was that your religion growing up or did you adopt it later on? I've read a little on the religion and it seem to be a very beautiful religion... but so are all of our various religions throughout the world!

I adopted it later as I discovered that Catholocism was not for me. I started a thread in the Dog House where I talked about it, check it out and feel free to ask lots of questions!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    I do not find a religious saying or picture in a signature to be offensive. No more than I would find a pro-gay rights saying in a signature to be offensive. My gosh, it's only a signature!

Everyone is different, it's what makes the world interesting. If we were all the same on here, what would be the point in even logging in? It would be like talking to hundreds of copies of yourself ... boring.

If discussions of religion offend or infuriate you, don't post or read in the Dog House. Simple as that. You already know that religion is a hugely controversial topic, and the Dog House is the place for that. If you aren't thick skinned enough to handle it, then don't come here, IMO.

Now, if someone is talking about religion on any other board here, I think it ought to be moved.

I don't like to get preached at either ... no matter who is doing the preaching or what it is about. But, this is a MILD board, it's rare than anything gets out of control in the least here.

IMO, if you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
    Once again, WELL SAID! They should make YOU a diplomat!

I have always thought that the Christians best able to "bring others to the flock" are not those who preach to us, but those who live their Christian lives as an example to non-Christians. Too many Christians I have seen preach away, but treat others in a disrespectful way, are nasty and don't live their lives as a good example ... why would anyone want to join the religion if this is what they say? Furthermore, they should do more to KEEP those in the flock by being kind, generous and loving rather than harsh, judgemental and nasty as they were to us.

The whole "missionary" idea of converting the savages doesn't work in modern society.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    I think faith in a higher power is a very human thing to need; the Universe is an awfully big place and a Supreme Being can be great as an interface. But when people start saying my Supreme Being's better than yours, then that's stupid! God(dess) by definition is infinite, so constraining The Infinite with anything *merely* human is nutz. Personally I like the idea of polytheistic religions, because I interpret them to be looking at different aspects of God (who is genderless, IMHO, but there is no good gender neutral pronoun in English.)
    Well said! I wanted to say something like that ... but I'm not nearly eloquent enough!

Once again, WELL SAID! They should make YOU a diplomat!
    *snort*

Thanks, but I'm sure the majority of people on this board would not agree with you.

I have always thought that the Christians best able to "bring others to the flock" are not those who preach to us, but those who live their Christian lives as an example to non-Christians. Too many Christians I have seen preach away, but treat others in a disrespectful way, are nasty and don't live their lives as a good example ... why would anyone want to join the religion if this is what they say? Furthermore, they should do more to KEEP those in the flock by being kind, generous and loving rather than harsh, judgemental and nasty as they were to us. The whole "missionary" idea of converting the savages doesn't work in modern society.
    Also, very well said! I agree completely.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien