Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this dog food ok?

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I noticed you said you didn't like Purina Pro plan.... Is it an ok food?

*EDIT!*-- I didn't mean you didn't like the food, just that you said (not Purina)
    Personally I'm not fond of Purina anything lol. Pro Plan has corn in it's third ingredient. I believe it also has artificials in it, but I can't remember.
    I've been BOO'd!

So beneful is a bad choice? Thats the only food cami really takes too..

It's too expensive at the pet stores. We can barely afford food for ourselves sometimes.

We get Purina products for free though.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Dawn
    Sorry, I don't buy any dog foods at the grocery store, so I can't recommend one.
    wolfsoul, take a look at the ingredients in this dog food and let me know what you think-it's new on the market and I found it at a holistic animal pet shop. You seem to have a deeper knowledge than most of us. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something-it all sounded good to me. http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover....html#AdultDog
    It does have some chemical preservatives, but they aren't anything detrimental. Otherwise, it has some good ingredients. Notice the cranberry powder...Is this formula for good breath? It does look like it might be a little too rich for a dog's stomach. I'd switch over to this slowly. Great food though!
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 11-03-2003 at 04:31 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

I also really like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dog food, because it's made from human-grade ingredients. There's nothing in there that isn't fit for human consumption!

When I add water to it, it smells so delicious that people coming in the house ask what's cooking.

Jake wouldn't touch the Iams I bought him, which is why I decided to try the Chicken Soup. He eagerly devours it! I even tried a teensy tiny nibble and it tastes delicious.

It's very well formulated and healthy, and the senior formula contains ingredients for joint health.

The price is the same as for Iams or any other quality food.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by CamCamPup33
    So beneful is a bad choice? Thats the only food cami really takes too..
    Well, if it's the only food Cami will eat, there isn't much you can do. Your dog should always like the food you feed it.

Here are the ingredients of Beneful, from the Purina website.

One thing that I really don't like is the fact that there is no meat until the 7th ingredient, when it should be in both the first and second ingredient.

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
    F-4090
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by stacwase
    I also really like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dog food, because it's made from human-grade ingredients. There's nothing in there that isn't fit for human consumption!
    Where do they sell this? I don't think I have ever seen it.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Personally I'm not fond of Purina anything lol. Pro Plan has corn in it's third ingredient. I believe it also has artificials in it, but I can't remember.
    I agree with Wolfsoul about the Purina. I used to use proplan and Jake did great on it, but he's much more energetic since we switched. I had heard bad things about it.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by My Peanuts
    Where do they sell this? I don't think I have ever seen it.
    I've never seen it in stores either. I think that you have to order it...
    I've been BOO'd!

So jordan -- What do you think is the best out of the "cheaper" foods... Like the ones you can find in the grocery store...

I'll be back later -- Simba and Nala are wanting to go for a walk.. I put Nala's harness on but went to check PT first

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said.

First and foremost when regarding your dog's food, the most important thing is how your dog is doing on it. Do their teeth look nice, is their breath good, is their coat shiny and healty, are they free of allergies, dry skin and ear infections (yes all can be diet related). Some dogs do better on middle of the range foods. That is what I consider Eukanuba btw.

For my dogs personally, I would never feed a food with corn in it. I also try to avoid a food with too many grains in it. One thing you have to be careful of when reading labels is the splitting of ingredients. For instance the first ingredient might be meat, but if the next 5 or 6 are some types of grains and/or corn then the food is not that great.
    I feed Innova, and raw on the weekend. Soon I will switch to a completely raw diet.

Sorry, I don't buy any dog foods at the grocery store, so I can't recommend one.
    I agree. I also wouldn't recommend any food that can be bought in a grocery store.
    Excpet maybe Kirkland brand dog food which can be found in Costco and is made by Diamond I believe. It is another middle of the road food that I've heard good things about.

Notice the cranberry powder...Is this formula for good breath
    Wolfsoul, why do you say that? What does cranberry have to do with good breath? Just curious I always thought cranberry is more for the urinary tract.

It's very well formulated and healthy, and the senior formula contains ingredients for joint health.
    Stacwase, just so you know most foods that have something like glucosomine in them for joint health, don't have it in the levels that would actually be beneficial to your dog's joints. Instead it might be better to buy the glucosomine yourself and add it in seperately

Originally posted by Kfamr
    So jordan -- What do you think is the best out of the "cheaper" foods... Like the ones you can find in the grocery store...
    I said Nutro Dental Care but I think you missed my post lol. A couple other Nutro foods aren't that bad either. Nutrience has some good foods. Hummm...I'm trying to think of some more lol. I'll have to take a trip over to the pet shop after school. There are so many different brands. Sometimes one brand might have a bunch of bad foods, but some really good ones too.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I said Nutro Dental Care but I think you missed my post lol. A couple other Nutro foods aren't that bad either. Nutrience has some good foods. Hummm...I'm trying to think of some more lol. I'll have to take a trip over to the pet shop after school. There are so many different brands. Sometimes one brand might have a bunch of bad foods, but some really good ones too.
    She's looking for foods that can be found in a grocery store (like purina, iams, eukanuba, and various no name brands), not a pet store. I don't think Nutro is sold in grocery stores.

Originally posted by Shelteez2

Wolfsoul, why do you say that? What does cranberry have to do with good breath? Just curious I always thought cranberry is more for the urinary tract.
    Cranberry is supposed to contain something that makes the bacteria in the mouth less sticky so that plaque won't form as easily. You're right about urinary tract too. I give my rats cranberry for the UTI reason.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    She's looking for foods that can be found in a grocery store (like purina, iams, eukanuba, and various no name brands), not a pet store. I don't think Nutro is sold in grocery stores.
    Oooh lol. Sorry, grocery stores aren't a place I go regularly lol. I wouldn't know. Just make sure you don't buy the grocery store's brand. I've noticed that all of the stores that have their own "special" brand are really selling terrible foods. Like Ol' Roy and President' Choice.
    I've been BOO'd!