Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lip Fold Pyoderma?

Good Luck to one of our bestest buds. Paws crossed and best wishes for some good news! Go Killi!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Good Luck Killi, you tha man, if you can't do it, nobody can. Will be anxious to hear how the appt goes, and the very best of luck to you both.
    Jackie

We will all be anxious to hear what the vet said, Sue. I'm beginning to think that you, Sandra and Jackie need your honorary veterinary degrees! Its pretty bad when the patient (or patient's guardian) is finding things that the vet hasn't considered!

Originally posted by Logan:
    <STRONG>... Its pretty bad when the patient (or patient's guardian) is finding things that the vet hasn't considered! </STRONG>
    Maybe we should think of this as helping a member of our pack! Even the best trained and most compassionate doctor has to move on to the next patient or emergency.

Of course, if your doctor (or vet) seems to miss the mark often, get a new doc. But don't be afraid to speak up about health issues. You CAN make a difference!!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

I think both patient & Doctor (Vet), have
    to be involved enough to help each other.
    It's "our job" as Guardians to get as
    involved with remedies to a problem as the
    Doctor. After all we are their voice, they
    are our furkids.. Prayers and Positive
    thoughts for Killian !!!
    Logan, I see how ironic it sounds, just
    wanted to suggest another way of looking
    at it. Hugs to Honey & Lilly !!! Liz

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: lizbud ]
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Dear Killian,

Crossed paws that all goes well at the white coats.

Purrs and head-bonkies,
    Cassy and Livvy
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

OK, I had a long answer here for you and I lost it!!!!!

Yes, the Kill-Boy has Lip Fold Pyoderma! It is unusual in GSDs, but of course my Killian would get it! We caught it early and we're going to try and treat it with meds, antibiotics, ointment and warm water compresses. However, if that doesn't work or it keeps coming back, he will need surgery. It would be like a face lift or lip-tuck! Does The Joker come to mind? Ha.
    This can be related to his immune system problems.
    Doctors Sandra and Jackie were right on the money!
    After Killi finishes his antibiotics for his liver, we will start a 7 day regimen of another antibiotic. How can any bacteria dare to live on this guy?
    So, thank you for the help in diagnosing this disease. Thanks also for the best wishes and thumbs up!

Love, Sue and Old Crusty Lips

Oh, yeah, and I am so glad that I switched to the lady vet that I have now. She knows a lot and if she doesn't know (cause sometimes Killi is not your normal dog) she will call and find out things for me. I feel that I can ask her anything without feeling stupid! She listens to everything I tell her not like the other vet who didn't listen resulting in Killi's liver starting to shut down.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Sudilar ]
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Sandra, he will be taking 625mg of Clavamox twice a day.

I talked to the lady on the GSD board whose dog had GSD pyoderma and she said she had to take her dog to Tufts to get a diagnosis. No one knew what it was. This was four years ago and the treatment my vet is following is what she was told to do and it cleared up never to return again. She couldn't remember the name of the antibiotic, though.
    I will be contacting another GSD board member to report what I found because her dog has the same symptoms, too! Her vet appointment is Monday.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Sudilar ]
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Oh Sue that is good news, it sounds like you have a wonderful Vet who is willing to listen. The medicine should do wonders for him. We will be praying and thinking about him, please give him a smacker and a hug from Daisy, Perry and me.
    Jackie

Dear Sue! I'm SO happy to hear that finally you have a definitive diagnosis that hopefully, will respond to the medication. As the article stated, should Killi need the surgery, it is described as a realtively minor procedure. Though, with all he has been through already, nothing else he should have to endure should be described as minor
    And I'm just as happy to hear that you have found a vet who will listen, and when uncertain, will try to gather the necessary info. to treat Killi properly. Doesn't it make a world of difference! And how right you are...how could ANY bug dare to attack our Killi? Crusty or not, I love those Killi smackeroos. So please plant a big one on the site of your choice and tell him how much he is loved from afar!! Yea for Killi! Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sue, I was delighted to read that the diagnosis you came up with was correct, and now Killian can get the treatment he needs. Good work!

I believe what I said earlier was totally misunderstood. No one cares for their pets anymore than I do. I think those of you who have "known" me for a while, know that. I just want my vet to be persistent, like Dr. Robinson was about Lilly's fungus. I provide just as much information as I possibly can about what I have observed, internet research, possibilities that are raised because of doing exactly like Sue did, and asking questions of people who might have experienced the same thing.

Sue, I am delighted that you have a vet that will listen to you. That is so important. If we can't relay to them what we have learned, observed, etc, then it IS time to move on to another vet!

Killian is in my prayers as always.

Logan

Sue, I think this is absolutely fabulous news! I wish Killian didn't have to be sick but what a relief to finally know what it is!! I too think we should give out some honorary veterinarian degrees! Good luck with Killian's treatment! I look forward to hearing about his recovery and cure!!

I am so glad that your guardians were there for you and were able to help you through this. It's funny that as I was reading this post I thought, well if it's rare, then Killian has it. Then I read that he did. That Killian, he has to be unique, doesn't he? That's what makes him so special though. I'm praying for you, Killian.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Another GSD on that BB also has just been diagnosed with lip fold pyoderma, too. I guess it depends on how much lip a dog has and usually the skin on a GSD doesn't fold very much, but of course Killian's does. He does have a huge head and mouth. I wonder if this other GSD does, too? The other GSDs treatment is a little less aggressive. They are just starting out on a medicated shampoo in the area for two weeks first. Then they will go on to the antibiotic therapy. Her vet said that in 10% of the cases, the cause is immune system disorders. HMMMM does this fit or what!

Thank you for all your thoughts, prayers and knowledge, as usual!!!!

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Sudilar ]
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

What a wonderful, caring, loving momma you have Killi Man. Sue, I will be praying with all my might that our (may I say "our??") boy will respond to the treatment. Have a nice, quiet weekend Sue. And please, as sweet Logan would say, "love on" those babies for me! Hugs, kisses and nite-nite Shi and Killi. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star