View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against

160 75.12%
  • For

35 16.43%
  • Not sure

15 7.04%
  • Don't know

3 1.41%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Declawing: against or for?

When Sammy is 6 months old, he is getting neutered and declawed, only fronts of course.

Our vet clinic has a new way of declawing cats. It is laser declawing, which causes 90% less pain than the tradional way, and doesn't require weeks of recovery, in fact only about 2 days. Instead of tearing and ripping out the knuckle and claw, it slices off the claw.

Here is an informational site about laser declawing if anyone care to read: The Laser Declaw Procedure

This is Sammy's favorite activity to do with his claws:
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

YLL please read this site before you declaw your poor cat. While laser surgery does reduce complication DURING the surgery the long term affects are still the same. And how would you like it if your fingers were amputated past the first knuckle. I mean don't worry with advances in technology you won't feel it as much. I mean seriously.. I can't believe you would do that to your pet. If you don't want a pet that scratches get a fish!

Declawing

There is a reason why declawing is outlawed in most countries. Because it's cruel! Why not invest in soft paws or something less cruel.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I've already seen that website.

If you don't want a pet that scratches get a fish!
    No. I don't like fish.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Sorry YLL for the rudeness of that post, this is just something that I feel strongly about. But I hope that you have at least tried some other alternatives such as Soft Paws or the other alternatives out on the market. I know that I can not change your (and your mom's) descision, but just realize that a better procedure doesn't mean that your cat won't suffer later. But like I said I do apologize for being rude earlier. But I'm sure if I said I was going to get a dog and debark it people would get pretty upset too.
    I've been Defrosted!

I don't see any reason to declaw a cat, especially when training and Soft Paws have not been attempted.

Originally posted by Soledad
    I don't see any reason to declaw a cat, especially when training and Soft Paws have not been attempted.
    Why don't you come over to my house and try and hold a 4 month old kitten still while you glue on rubber guards. Good luck!! You'd have the guards in your hair and the glue splattered on the wall. Trust me, I know Sammy well, since he lives in my house.

And try and get the kitten to listen to you when its concept is "gotta move gotta play", and would never listen to you even if you gave it 100 pounds of mice.

Sorry YLL for the rudeness of that post, this is just something that I feel strongly about. But I hope that you have at least tried some other alternatives such as Soft Paws or the other alternatives out on the market. I know that I can not change your (and your mom's) descision, but just realize that a better procedure doesn't mean that your cat won't suffer later. But like I said I do apologize for being rude earlier. But I'm sure if I said I was going to get a dog and debark it people would get pretty upset too
    Oh, that's ok. I understand that this issue means a lot to you. I am sure I would be the same way if I were in your boots.

Kinda like my posts in the American Kestrel thread in Pet General....I got upset with that ordeal!

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Oh, that's ok. I understand that this issue means a lot to you. I am sure I would be the same way if I were in your boots.
    Exactly
    I've been Defrosted!

You say you have read the websites. But have you tried the methods suggested? You don't need to have Sammy "listen" to you about anything.

Encourage Kitty to use her post with clever enticements. Feed her and play with her by the post. Rub dried catnip leaves or powder into it. Make all the associations with the post pleasurable. Reward her with a favorite treat when she uses it. Have her chase a string or a toy around the post or attach toys to it, which will result in her digging her claws into it. Eventually she will learn to love it and regard it as her own. It's also a good idea to put a post where Kitty sleeps. Cats like to scratch when they awaken, especially in the morning and the middle of the night. If space permits, a scratching post in every room of the house is a cat's delight. The most important place is the area of the house in which you and Kitty spend the most time. I have many sisal posts in my house, yet often in the morning my cats line up to use the one in the living room.

If at first Kitty is reluctant to give up her old scratching areas, there are means you can use to discourage her. Covering the area with aluminum foil or double-sided tape is a great deterrent. These surfaces don't have a texture that feels good to scratch.

Remember too that Kitty has marked her favorite spots with her scent as well as her claws. You may need to remove her scent from the areas you want to distract her away from. You will find pet odor removers in pet stores and many supermarkets as well.

Cats have an aversion to citrus odors. Use lemon-scented sprays or a potpourri of lemon and orange peels to make her former scratching sites less agreeable to her.

If Kitty still persists in scratching the furniture, try squirting her with a water gun or a spray bottle set on stream. Another option is a loud whistle or other noise-maker. You must employ these deterrents while she is scratching for them to be effective. The point is to establish an aversion to the spot you don't want her to scratch.
    http://www.declawing.com

Teaching your kitty to use a scratching post is much cheaper than declaw surgery! Many many many cat owners have taught kitties to use scratching posts; I really don't think Sammy is any kind of special exception. In fact, you are at an advantage because he is still young. Instill the good habits now!!!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    When Sammy is 6 months old, he is getting neutered and declawed, only fronts of course.

Our vet clinic has a new way of declawing cats. It is laser declawing, which causes 90% less pain than the tradional way, and doesn't require weeks of recovery, in fact only about 2 days. Instead of tearing and ripping out the knuckle and claw, it slices off the claw.

Here is an informational site about laser declawing if anyone care to read: The Laser Declaw Procedure

This is Sammy's favorite activity to do with his claws:
    Hi Laura! I hope you don't get mad at me for saying this because you know I love you and your mom dearly!

Even though laser surgery is less painful than chopping off the toes with a knife, it is still amputation and there is still pain involved. There could also be several behavioral problems that come up after being declawed. Not every single declawed cat will get behavioral problems after the surgery, but there is a good chance that they will.

Sammy is a young kitten still and can be trained to scratch in the proper places. I admit I haven't read this thread yet so I'm not sure what you've tried yet. Actually, I guess I will read it all before I continue with my reply. But, please, do some research on it. Or if you have already, then do more. I hope that you guys will change your minds
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I totally think you guys should try Soft Paws! I know how squiggly and wiggly 4 month old kitties are - I've got several right now and have fostered tons! Maybe for the first application, your vet can help you and give you tips. It really helps if one person scruffs the kitty and another person puts the Soft Paws on.

Have you also provided plenty of scratching posts with catnip sprinkled on? And do you use a water gun when he scratches where he shouldn't?

Is Dudley declawed?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

nodgeness & YLL

Originally posted by nodgeness
    That's saying my home is unsuitable for my cats which is an unfair statement. My cats are both very happy & not having claws hasn't changed there personalities, habbits or stretching ability. [/B]
    This is a direct quote from the excellent website link above ( Cheers Noah's Mommy for the site link. A very good friendly with useful information.)

The Cat’s Claws
    Unlike most mammals who walk on the soles of the paws or feet, cats are digitigrade, which means they walk on their toes. Their back, shoulder, paw and leg joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves are naturally designed to support and distribute the cat's weight across its toes as it walks, runs and climbs. A cat's claws are used for balance, for exercising, and for stretching the muscles in their legs, back, shoulders, and paws. They stretch these muscles by digging their claws into a surface and pulling back against their own clawhold - similar to isometric exercising for humans. This is the only way a cat can exercise, stretch and tone the muscles of its back and shoulders. The toes help the foot meet the ground at a precise angle to keep the leg, shoulder and back muscles and joints in proper alignment. Removal of the last digits of the toes drastically alters the conformation of their feet and causes the feet to meet the ground at an unnatural angle that can cause back pain similar to that in humans caused by wearing improper shoes.
    ----------------------------------------

Please can nodgeness & YLL read the site Noah'smommy linked to.

Dear YLL,
    YLL as you are the only one planning to have sweet Sammy operated on shortly, I'll address these comments to you.

Please provide a scratching post for him now. My kittens were using their post from 6 & 8 weeks respectively. The only furniture they scratched was my bed, which was my fault (I locked them upstairs without access to the scratching post.) So I bought a second smaller post for upstairs and now they don't scratch anything.

Maybe if you can show your mum that Sammy doesn't need this operation, she'll be happy to cancel it.

Alternatively try softclaws pads but only if Sammy is inside totally (I assume this must be the case as declawed cats are defensless outside)

Also some cats change personality after this operation (though the medical professionals don't count this as a direct connection ?!?) but if Sammy doesn't have this operation there is nothing to worry about.

Please keep us informed of your thinking. I'll be happy to debate, not argue with you. I'll find the answers to any of your queries, in order to change youir mind and save sweet Sammy from unnecessary pain.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 08-07-2003 at 01:48 AM.

Adding my 2 cents...

I would highly recommend other alternatives before declawing. Declawing is solely for the benefit of humans and not in the best interest of the cat.

It isn't very hard to train your cat to a scratch post. All it requires is a little time and a squirt bottle. It also helps to have a scratch post/scratching area in every room your cat frequent until they get the hang of it.

It also helps to keep your cat's claws clipped regularly. Clipping/trimming the claws will greatly decrease the damage when your cat does scratch. Soft Paws is also an option.

At 4 months old you kitty is still a baby and learning. You wouldn't remove a dog's teeth because as a puppy he chewed on everything(meaning furniture shoes etc..)? If your kitty started biting as a form of play, you wouldn't remove his teeth, would you? Instead you'd teach the kitty that's not an acceptable form of play.

I have 3 cats all of which came to me between the age of 5 to 12 weeks. With a little effort on my part, they were all trained to a scratch post within the first few weeks. They were all fixed at 6 months and all get their nails clipped every other week.

Please reconsider declawing. There are other options...even for the wildest of kitties, he's still young enough to be trained.
    JMHO

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Originally posted by PayItForward

I know which option the cats would choose, their claws intact AND a loving home with a scratching pole.
    I am glad that declawing is illegal over here...but on the other hand it's sad that we need a law for this...

Cats are born with claws!!!...so I guess HAVING CLAWS is the way it was meant to be!!!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

Ok, first things first - Laura (UA), your sig is hilarious; I about fell off my chair when I saw it.

On to the declawing debate - Sammy's declawing is NOT a done deal. We got information from the vet about it as part of the standard kitten checkup, and I have been mulling my options since I have until October when the Saminator will be 6 months old and ready for his neutering. (I had decided that the results of my decision would be a personal matter in any case - kind of like the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the military.) So far he has done very little damage with his claws, other than annihilating the sofa in the office here and giving me a few little "love scratches" from time to time. When he play-fights with us, he does not use his front claws at all (he doesn't need to; his TEETH are what are deadly ). I've read all about the Soft Paws, and have been considering those also. I've been able to trim Sammy's claws from time to time, and some days he stands still for it, some days he doesn't.

That said, I take no offense at all of the passionate statements made on this thread, because it shows the love and concern you all have for kitties, which is wonderful.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

ACGAS and YLL,

I have six cats, all of them declawed, at my request. I have no one to blame it on but me. Having said that, I will tell you I have changed my position, based on education, and tolerance. I would not declaw my next cat...which, because of Binx and Tex's health, and Minnie's reclusivenss, will not be anytime in the near future. So, I guess it is easy for me to sit here and tell you what I won't be doing in the future, after having done it in the past. In fact, I imagine my post might be a little bit unbelievable. I feel hypocritical. I can only tell you, after education, I have changed my mind. I am against declawing, and can assure you, the last thing I ever want to do is 'eat my words'...I won't do it.

I ask that you really really educate yourself, and think things through carefully (as I know you will).

Johanna

P.S.- I am also against docking, cropping, breeding, etc!!!