Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...have to catch Mack to take him to the vet

Good news! I called the vet that originally neutered Mack and they still had his records from 5 years ago. Anyway they agreed to give me 2 pills which are called acepromazine, 10 mg. Tomorrow morning I am going to take off work and try to give him one of the pills. They said to crush it up and put it in wet food. The pill is supposed to make him drowsy, calm but not knock him out. PLEASE, everybody say a prayer that I get him to take the pill and get him to the vet.

Putting a pic at the bottom of this message so you can all see how handsome he is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Prayers and fingers crossed that you can get the meds into him and get him to the vet without incident.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

That's great news that you got a few pills for him. Wow, he is BIG! One piece of advice... he may smell the medicine in the food and won't touch it, so keep the other pill in case you have to stuff it down his throat.

Best of luck!!

Oh, and do a search here on "how to pill a cat" there are numerous and some have very good advice.
    Last edited by Randi; 07-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I sure hope it'll work. Storm and Sky both love pill pockets and they're on 2 pills every day so they have saved me from a lot of headache. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I sure hope it'll work. Storm and Sky both love pill pockets and they're on 2 pills every day so they have saved me from a lot of headache. Good luck.
    What are pill pockets?

I have one of those pill pushers that you put the pill into and then push into their throat. Forgot about that one. However, if I can't catch him I am not going to be able to give him a pill either.

I was gonna suggest the food trail INTO the carrier.. something very very tasty.. you could try for a few days.. few times a day.. and then one day just close the door..

now I see you got the pills.. hope they work
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    What are pill pockets?

I have one of those pill pushers that you put the pill into and then push into their throat. Forgot about that one. However, if I can't catch him I am not going to be able to give him a pill either.
    Pill pockets are soft treats that have a hole in them so you can easily stuff a pill in them. I actually cut them into 4 pieces and then roll them into balls. Then I use the balls to wrap around the pill. I buy the chicken flavor and they're sold at most pet stores and vets. Here's a link to them: http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Produc...llpockets.aspx.

How's it going with Mack? I hope you can get enough of the pills in him
    to calm him. I hope the Vet can see him soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    How's it going with Mack? I hope you can get enough of the pills in him
    to calm him. I hope the Vet can see him soon.
    Took him to the vet yesterday and they are keeping him for tests. Unfortunately, if he has a chronic illness, I will not be able to keep him as I do not have the funds. They think it could be just a behavioral issue of him pooping various parts of the house. Sadly, he may have to go to the RB because of some of my own personal issues right now I am not able to cope with this.

I hope there is something easily treatable...and that, if need be, the vets know someone who could take him.

Hugs and prayers for you and Mack.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Took him to the vet yesterday and they are keeping him for tests. Unfortunately, if he has a chronic illness, I will not be able to keep him as I do not have the funds. They think it could be just a behavioral issue of him pooping various parts of the house. Sadly, he may have to go to the RB because of some of my own personal issues right now I am not able to cope with this.

I am sorry to hear about your own health problems. When it rains, it pours.
    I would be interested to hear what the Vet says. Prayers for you both.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope that everything will work out for both of you. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Good news. A lady at the vet's office who does cleaning and miscellaneous things around the office fell in love with Mack. She has no other pets and I think this would be the perfect place for him. I think some of his issues had to do with intimidation from one of the other cats. Soooo, Mack has a new home. I am so happy this turned out well.

What great news! If the cause is that Mack feels intimidated by one of the others, it's perfect if he can go home with that lady at the vets.

Best wishes that it all works out - for you, too!
    Last edited by Randi; 07-03-2010 at 10:28 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yes I think he would do well in a one cat home. He is very loving when he feels safe. He loves a belly scratch and his comb. You can literally comb him anywhere, belly, hind quarters, ears, back chin, etc. He will be in heaven.