Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brief update on my university application.

Thought I'd update this whilst I'm here.

To cut a long story short, I was rejected from Cambridge. I was pretty upset, angry, and quite a few other emotions when I got the letter. I'd worked so hard for so many years, then had 20 minutes with an interviewer who plainly wasn't all that into me from the start, and it was all gone.

I think now however, I feel fine about it. Not to be stereotypical (or bitter!), but I think Cambridge look more for a certain type of person, perhaps in a more refined way than other universities do, particularly for a vocational subject like veterinary medicine. My interview there was so startlingly different from my Glasgow interview - I felt Glasgow were more concerned with whether I have the right sense of judgement, empathy, and communication abilities to cope with being a vet. Cambridge wanted to know how much biology and chemistry I knew. And not to be funny, but my public exam results can prove I don't lack in that respect.

So I don't yet have a definitive reason why I was rejected, but in all honesty it's neither here nor there for me now. I can move on because a few days later.... my Glasgow offer arrived!!! I was very pleased with that, since I love the university and they have AVMA accreditation, meaning I can work in the USA when I qualify. And, I got the impression at interview that they were assessing me as a person rather than just a brain (coincidently - I have heard of two successful Cambridge vet applicants this year who were rejected from Glasgow. Tee hee. )

I finally heard from the Royal Veterinary College (in London) and am due to have an interview there in February. I have my fingers crossed for this one - I'm applying for the 6 year vet med with an intercalated science degree, so I'll end up with two degrees if I am accepted!

Thanks for the continued support. It is very much appreciated!!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Good job on your acceptance. We all know that Cambridge would have been lucky to have you...their loss.

How far is Cambridge from your hometown? Will you live on campus? What are the fees like?

My daughter is going through the same thing right now, she got her first acceptance letter for aeronautical engineering to San Diego State, that was one of her "safe" schools but she is still happy to at least be accepted their.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Congratulations to your daughter!

Cambridge and Glasgow are about the same distance away from where I live, just in opposite directions. I think it's a good 200-250 miles or so, perhaps more. In other words it's a 3 1/2 hour car journey to each. I suppose, however, the good thing about the UK is that you're never really more than 6 hours away from anywhere!

Fees are horrid. I'm estimating my debt will be over £40,000 upon graduation, and probably an extra few thousand if I am accepted and go to London. I can apply for a fairly decent student loan but it won't be a luxurious life to lead, that's for sure! It doesn't help that our government decided to cut university funding this year, meaning fees are likely to increase even more. At least paying it back only comes in little installments, most vets I've spoken to pay it off over a course of 5-10 years.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Zara, I am sorry you didn't get accepted to Cambridge, but obviously it wasn't meant to be..and like mom (caseysmom) says their loss. Seriously, though I am glad you got other offers and am glad you have so many different options for your future. Best of luck to you! I can't wait till you come to the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Congratulations to your daughter!

Cambridge and Glasgow are about the same distance away from where I live, just in opposite directions. I think it's a good 200-250 miles or so, perhaps more. In other words it's a 3 1/2 hour car journey to each. I suppose, however, the good thing about the UK is that you're never really more than 6 hours away from anywhere!

Fees are horrid. I'm estimating my debt will be over £40,000 upon graduation, and probably an extra few thousand if I am accepted and go to London. I can apply for a fairly decent student loan but it won't be a luxurious life to lead, that's for sure! It doesn't help that our government decided to cut university funding this year, meaning fees are likely to increase even more. At least paying it back only comes in little installments, most vets I've spoken to pay it off over a course of 5-10 years.

If my daughter goes to a UC it will be about $35,000 a year. Her first choice is the Air Force Academy which is a full scholarship, she is still waiting for a congressional nomination which is required, she was accepted based on her grades, she also needs to do a breathing test because she had childhood asthma, the Air Force Academy is in Colorado and it is a full scholarship, she would be required to be an officer in the AF for 5 years to pay back the education but she went for a visit and fell in love.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Zara, I'm so sorry you didn't get accepted into Cambridge. I know how frustrated you are. Keep your chin up girl, don't let this keep you down. Don't give up- you can do it!!!
    Here in the US, there are only 29 universities with a DVM program . So yes, getting into a MD program is so much 'easier'.
    As of right now, I am going through a Veterinary Technology program to become an RVT (california Registered Veterinary Technician). It is difficult, and requires me to do A LOT of studying on my own. We just started anesthesia today, and was told by an instructor that all of the things we have learned prior is to ready us for anesthesia. It's not easy, but I've wanted to do this since I was 2.

You are lucky you know what you want to do, and are actually pursuing your dream in veterinary medicine. A lot of people have told me 'Oh when I was a kid, I wanted to do that too!' But only so many people actually pursue it!

I have faith in you, Zara!!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Congratulations for Glasgow, Zara! What wonderful news! I'll be praying for you for the Royal Veterinary College interview in February, too. I wish you all success for your future!

Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

They do Vet school so differently in the UK! I'm sorry you didn't get into Cambridge but since you are highly intelligent and at the top of your class, I am certain you will get in somewhere!

Here we have to do the four years of pre-vet and then the four years of vet. Or at least that's what the state of Tennessee requires, I believe. I felt really awesome getting into the University of TN, (my major is Animal Science/Pre-Vet Medicine), but Vet school is going to be a whole other story. 85 people per year, which I guess that's better than the 7:1 ratio you mentioned early .

Anyway, I have faith in you, Zara and I'm sure you will excel and be a Vet in no time *hugs*
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thanks everyone.

Kaitlyn, how wonderful that you are on your way to becoming a vet technician! Everyone I speak to tells me how hard any veterinary related course is so I'm gradually preparing myself. I do believe that when you have the passion for that career, however, and have been harbouring it for a long time like you have, you are bound to succeed no matter how tough it gets. Best of luck with it!

Bri, I hope our paths cross at some point during our vet studies!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Good to hear at least Glasgow was smart enough to know a good person when they interviewed one! And we'll keep our fingers crossed for you in February in London - more expensive a place to live, but whatever you wish is our wish for you!
    I've Been Frosted

Congratulations on Glasgow! I can understand that not getting an offer from Cambridge was deceiving - but at least they seem to have totally different criteria and while I would always go for the Cambridge criteria in a theoretical science I feel they could be quite wrong if it comes to a science that influences the life of others (an with "others" I mean humans and animals) as much as veterinary science does.
    So I am curious to hear the next part of the story. I would certainly hope to meet you next time I will be with Killearn Kitties or in London where I am quite often for business reasons

Zara you are more than welcome. My friends and my parents friends are SO supportive of me, and are so encouraging. And let me tell you mt friend, the encouragement I get from people makes we want to be the very best I can be!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Bri, I hope our paths cross at some point during our vet studies!
    Hehe me, too. When we're feeling down and lonely and like throwing our computers and school books out the window, we can have a support group, LMAO.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography