Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Get Annual Flu Shots?

No.

And I don't plan on getting one.

I've been getting the regular flu shots every year for many years now. I got mine in early Oct. when Kaiser first started their clinic. I always try to get mine as early as possible so that they don't run out. I doubt I'll be getting the H1N1 though because in my age group I'd either have to be pregnant or have some other complication like asthma or diabetes which I don't.

I got the regular flu shot early October and was slated to get the swine flu one today. However because I am on a course of steroids & antibiotics I can't have it until they are finished. Hopefully they will have a new batch of the shots in before the end of the month and I can get it then.

I have a compromised immune system because of the steroids so I'm staying home and refusing visitors. It's a bit scary to think that that combined with my lung disease means catching any old virus that's lurking about could literally send me off this mortal coil.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I get the seasonal flu shot every year and had mine last week. I will not be getting the H1N1. My doc is only giving them if a patient insists, since he feels at this point, there are too many unknowns about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I get the regular flu shot every year. I was doing it because his daughter has asthma and I wanted to protect her. I will get my shot here at work today because with all that is going on, not sleeping well, not eating well, I feel I am at high risk to catch the next bug that goes by. I am also taking mass transit to work these days so am exposed to many more people in a day so figure better safe than sorry right now.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I just had a change of heart this week.....we were determined not to get the h1n1 (we don't usuallly get the annual flu shot either).

BUT, we have an h1n1 outbreak in our Church , and I am 10 weeks pregnant. I can't get vax'd until December 11, but DH got his last night, and Lydia will get her's tomorrow...so hopefully with both of them covered it will cut down on the risk of bringing it into the house. In the meanwhile, I am staying very close to home...not even going shopping.....and will stay at home until the outbreak is over (all of our friends are sick).

I haven't got a flu shot in many years, just don't believe in them.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I only started getting them when I became vulnerable due to lung disease, not sure I'd bother if I was reasonable healthy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    I just had a change of heart this week.....we were determined not to get the h1n1 (we don't usuallly get the annual flu shot either).

BUT, we have an h1n1 outbreak in our Church , and I am 10 weeks pregnant. I can't get vax'd until December 11, but DH got his last night, and Lydia will get her's tomorrow...so hopefully with both of them covered it will cut down on the risk of bringing it into the house. In the meanwhile, I am staying very close to home...not even going shopping.....and will stay at home until the outbreak is over (all of our friends are sick).

I think that's a wise decision. IMHO. Why take the chance if you don't have to?

I am not in the select group they are targeting either. I just got the
    shot for the regular flu.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

yes

yes i do every year. never had a problem except a sore arm. since i'm an x-ray technologist i spend the winter having a suprising number of people coughing in my face. when the H1N1 vacs. get to my level i'll get that as well. i work at an ambulatory center, not the main hospital, so i'm not in the first group of tech staff who'll get them
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I usually get the flu shot when I'm going to be travelling. If I'm not travelling, I generally don't get it, but I did get both the flu shot, and H1N1 shot two weeks ago. At my last appointment, my Dr. told me they only had 6 H1N1 shots left, and that they were giving priority to pregnant women, so I had the option to get it. I was sick about a month ago, and from experience, having a flu during pregnancy is much more difficult than having one otherwise, so I decided to get it, along with the regular flu shot.

I got the seasonal flu shot. Still waiting for a shipment of H1N1.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678