Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics thread...

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    The torch is coming to New West on Feb 9th but unfortunately I have to work. We've been told "no time off in Feb". It would have been so wonderful to line the route to take a peek at history in the making. There are other events happening in my community that day as well. Last I heard our community is expecting 30,000 to attend an event in one of our parks.

As for my work, well, I'm gong to be working offsite for the month of Feb - not at home, but at a remote site that's a little closer to home so hopefully the traffic won't be so bad.

I hesitate to say I'm not looking forward to all this - just because of the congestion.
    Don't worry about it. It's not a huge deal, The torch passes and everyone goes home about -i-teen mintues later. It's a -ive minute parade.

http://showhype.com/video/shaun-whit...s-2010-during/

Why I dislike snowboarding in the Olympics, or any other "X" sport.

Moron.

Shaun White is actually one of the safer people on the snow board circut. I saw a program on today actually about how he built his own half pipe in colorado and put one of those safety foam pits in just to make training for flips and such safer. I don't like how snowboarding is becoming a contest to see who can do the most dangerous thing on the pipe though. It seems like these guys want to out do each other on the danger factor instead of focusing on doing established (and safer) tricks proficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomilynn View Post
    It's nice to hear that others are excited about it. I can't wait until the stupid things are over!
    I'm not really into the Olympic games either but I do like to watch Figure Skating but really nothing else interests me.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36 View Post
    I don't like how snowboarding is becoming a contest to see who can do the most dangerous thing on the pipe though. It seems like these guys want to out do each other on the danger factor instead of focusing on doing established (and safer) tricks proficiently.
    Amen,

I put the X games into that category, It's all posturing.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch 'snow' sports, but when you get to the stupid names and 180-360-1020? It puts me to sleep. It's like ice skating-triple toe loop with a flying camel?

I can't tell a Mc fakey to a Backside skull fracture..it's like trying to sell a out-of-control crash with a catchy name, just because you didn't bash your skull in.

Sorry, but any "sport" which relies on judging to determine the winner has no place in the olympics.

Figure skating, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, .........

If you need judges to determine the winner, punt it. I'd rather watch the biathalon than watch a few princesses spin around on skates and cry when they fall.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Hey, we girls have to have our fun, too! Though I do think a "no crying" rule would be fine, lots of sports have crying afterwards, but no other one has a designated "kiss and cry" area.
    I've Been Frosted

What did Hemingway say about sports?

Mountain climbing, bull fighting and car racing are sports, the rest are games?

As I watch sports I see a clear definition about them.

Golf is a puzzle, so is bowling, curling and darts?

Those are all challenges. You get to a point, then it's out of your hands.
    There is a skill involved....but you have 'time' to figure out a strategy.

I agree with the judging bit....

But, then you have the 1972 U.S. basketball team.

I still remember poor Hank Iba's face after that game with the Russkies....

I still want to bomb Russia over THAT game.

There was a Crying area at that venue.

Interesting fact about the Silver Medals 'awarded' the team. I watched a special on that game and the medals were never picked up by the team, they sit someplace -unawarded.

One guy even put in in his will that none of his family would never be allowed to accept it on his behalf.

The 1972 Olympics had Mark Spitz, the basketball debacle, and the Massacre.

I'm in the spirit :)

I was wearing my yellow Relay "Cansurvivor" T-shirt.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I was wearing my yellow Relay "Cansurvivor" T-shirt.......
    What a great picture......By the time the Games start you will be a total Olympics Geek. Trust me, your town is in for one hell of a party!

Shorts?

Doesn't wearing shorts in an igloo make your legs cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Sorry, but any "sport" which relies on judging to determine the winner has no place in the olympics.

Figure skating, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, .........

If you need judges to determine the winner, punt it. I'd rather watch the biathalon than watch a few princesses spin around on skates and cry when they fall.
    I agree. Sorta. LOL

Maybe make the 'scoring' less open to interpretation somehow? If skater/snowboarder performs maneuver X, they get X points. Then, if you have a judge not gives points for a specific "play", then you can do a video review to determine if indeed the maneuver was executed.

Just my $.02. I'm not really a fan of 'judged' events. I WILL be very interested to see how the IIHF officials call the ice Hockey though. Especially the European officials who are not used to North American sized ice. I wonder if the NHL icing rules will be in effect, given its almost entirely NHL players in the event? Or the stupid trapezoid thing for goalies?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Updates on two USA snowboarders -

Snowboarder Kevin Pearce, a likely Olympian before sustaining a severe head injury Dec. 31 during training in Utah, has been transferred to a brain-rehabilitation hospital in Colorado.
    Kevin Pearce, injured in a snowboarding accident in Utah, has improved enough to move to a rehab hospital in Colorado.

In a statement, one of his doctors, Holly Ledyard, said that Pearce, “is able to walk and do many daily activities with some assistance.”

Pearce, one of the few riders to beat defending Olympic gold medalist Shaun White in halfpipe contests the past couple of years, has transferred to Craig Hospital in Englewood, Colo., a Denver suburb. It is considered a leading rehabilitation center for spinal-cord or traumatic brain injuries.

Snowboarder Danny Davis was released from the Utah hospital where he had been recovering from injuries sustained in an early morning all-terrain vehicle accident in Park City on Jan. 17.

Davis, who would have made the four-man United States Olympic halfpipe team if not for the accident, underwent surgeries to repair a fractured vertebrae and pelvis after the his vehicle struck a closed gate.
    And from hockey -
    Ryan Whitney of the Anaheim Ducks and Tim Gleason of the Carolina Hurricanes, both defensemen, were added Thursday to the United States men’s Olympic team roster.

Whitney and Gleason replace two injured defensemen, Paul Martin of the New Jersey Devils and Mike Komisarek of the Toronto Maple Leafs, both of whom announced earlier this week that they would not be able to play at the Vancouver Games.

The Olympic torch came through my community today but sadly I didn't not have a chance to see it because of w-u-r-k. However my Mom walked the route and saw the torch being lit twice. I'm so envious.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

American skier Lindsey Vonn revealed Wednesday morning on the "Today" show that she has a shin injury that could affect her participation and performance in the Winter Olympics, which begin Friday.

Vonn said her shin bruise is extremely painful because it is located at a point of contact with her ski boot. She could not give "Today" show host Matt Lauer an estimate -- in terms of percentage -- of how healthy she was entereing the Games.

Vonn said she injured her right shin in a training run a week ago. It was diagnosed, she said, as a deep muscle bruise.

Vonn is widely regarded as the top American in the Games. She was planning to compete in all five Alpine skiing disciplines at Vancouver. The first, the women's super combined, is scheduled for Sunday.

"I honestly don't know if I'll be able to do it," Vonn said.